California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby 10ryansmith » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Looking into going to the park on 30 Oct. I assume the park is going to be packed for Halloween but how packed is it going to be? Should I skip it (I'll be based in Sacramento) or chance the crowds? Any park planning would be nice as well.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:14 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
Greatdrift wrote:Vortex was pretty awesome

Definitely the first time I've ever heard this.

:nina:

I simply liked this, because anything that involves MacGyver deserves to be liked! ;)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:15 am

10ryansmith wrote:Looking into going to the park on 30 Oct. I assume the park is going to be packed for Halloween but how packed is it going to be? Should I skip it (I'll be based in Sacramento) or chance the crowds? Any park planning would be nice as well.

If packed was the best word to describe it, then I would have to say it's going to be packed. Stupid packed.
Tigga, please!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:34 am

10ryansmith wrote:Looking into going to the park on 30 Oct. I assume the park is going to be packed for Halloween but how packed is it going to be? Should I skip it (I'll be based in Sacramento) or chance the crowds? Any park planning would be nice as well.

We actually went October 30th last year (a Friday), but for Haunt, not the rides. We got Fright Lane and even with it, we faced stupid long lines. We barely ended up going through every maze (but not every Skeleton Key room) because the crowds lightened up toward the end of the night. Scare actors were lacking as well; not sure if everyone just quit their jobs before Halloween weekend but the mazes had very few scare actors and a lot of obvious unused potential. I don't go to the park very often, but it's probably the busiest I've ever seen it. I guess it depends on what you're going for. I'd definitely recommend getting Fright Lane if you're going for Haunt and Fast Lane for the rides.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:08 am

GREAT AMERICA INTRODUCES PATRIOT FLOORLESS COASTER FOR 2017

SANTA CLARA, CA – Today California’s Great America announced that for the 2017 season, it will introduce Patriot, the first floorless coaster in the park’s 41-year history. Patriot will emerge from the soon to be retired Vortex coaster, the oldest stand up roller coaster in the United States.

Patriot will take riders to a 91-foot height before plummeting them into a 360-degree loop at 45 miles per hour. Patriot’s position in the park makes it a dynamic visual from three different sections of Great America.

The inspiration for the coaster’s name was taken from the fact that the ride is nestled adjacent to All American Corners within a park whose name celebrates America.

The transition from a stand up to floorless ride will include state-of-the-art blue and white trains positioning guests with their feet dangling above the blue and white track.

“With the track visible beneath their fee, Patriot will create unique and exciting new perspectives throughout the ride,” said California’s Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg.

Guests can take their “Last Stand” on Vortex through September 5. Then work will begin to ready Patriot for the 2017 season.

Great America’s season continues weekend operations through Oct. 30, with Halloween Haunt running Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from Sept. 24-Oct. 30.

WinterFest debuts and takes center stage Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from Nov. 25-Dec. 30, with daily operations Dec. 19-23 and 26-30. Guests can ice skate in front of the iconic Carousel Columbia, admire magnificent displays of lights and décor, view spectacular live holiday shows, experience 18 rides, see Santa’s workshop and Mrs. Claus’ kitchen, and enjoy scrumptious holiday foods around the park.

Season Passes for the 2017 season go on sale today at the lowest price of the season, offering unlimited admission for the rest of 2016 and all of 2017. 2017 Gold Season Passes are now on sale for 9 easy payments of $9.75 and include unlimited visits during the rest of the 2016 season, admission to Halloween Haunt, WinterFest, Gilroy Gardens (excluding Lumination), unlimited admission during the 2017 season, and more.

More details: https://www.cagreatamerica.com/what-s-new/2017-announcement
Patriot1_300dpi_6x9.jpg
Patriot2_300dpi_6x9.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:40 am.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby coasterkid124 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:16 am

Lol, I'm so glad that I opened this thread. While the bickering and bitching continues in the other Cedar Fair threads, this is actually a solid addition, and is space friendly for the park. Wait until the KD and Dorney fanboys find out
I'm actually not a kid; it's my nickname. I'm the youngest guy at my job. Only until after I created my account did I realize it made my sound like I'm 12. "Giddy up"- Cosmo Kramer Finally got an avatar!
Darien Lake coaster drought: 16 years and counting.....

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:17 am

Yay no vest. That is a win in its self
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:19 am

Excellent!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby bluestreak » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:19 am

The best thing about this announcement is that it came from absolutely nowhere. Great addition though. I feel like it'll probably be the best new addition to the Cedar Fair chain announced today.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Postby singemfrc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:20 am

laqueefa wrote:

If packed was the best word to describe it, then I would have to say it's going to be packed. Stupid packed.

This. Easily the busiest day of the season. Buy Fright Lane, Fast Lane, any line skipping passes you can find, you'll need 'em. That's the Sunday before Halloween which is on a Monday, so most people will be out partying Saturday and Sunday instead. If you're based in Sacramento you could do what I usually do which is to hit CGA early in the morning when it opens, and then drive the extra hour down to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk to relax later in the day. CGA is less likely to be busier at opening since most people will be coming for Haunt at night, and SCBB, though probably still to be busy because of the holiday weekend, won't have the stupid level night crowds that CGA is likely to have.

You could also go to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, it will still be busy, but it's a shorter drive (50-60 min versus 120 to CGA).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!