The Official "TPR In Europe" Ongoing TR Thread.

Daily reports and photos from our trip!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:56 am

The third pic for Europa looks like an ideal shot for Epcot... Epcot needs COASTERS! :lol:

Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Postby BDG » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:13 am

Whose PSP is that ? Don't make all the Europeans jealous. :wink:

And to all the "Balder ain't a woodie" peeps: a coaster with this design has more wood in it than something made by CCI, GCI, RCCA and all the older companies/designers...

The reason it doesn't have "layers of wood" is because the track is lasercut out of wooden blocks. Very precise...and that's why it's so smooth.
"Normal wooden track" can't be made out of blocks, you can't bend it. So they use fine layers instead.

Finally...as always...fun entertaining trip reports ! Keep 'em coming ! :)

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Thuur » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:45 am

Europa Park also is one of my favourites. Glad you enjoyed it!
Miro is a great guy! :D

How did you like Eurosat? :wink:

Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Postby BDG » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:09 pm

Thuur wrote:How did you like Eurosat? :wink:

"like" ? :lol:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Watson » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:32 pm

robbalvey wrote:Day Seven: Tivoli
Tivoli Gardens was not far from the port so it was a quick drive and we were at the park. Tivoli is a VERY different park from anywhere else on the trip so far, in fact, it's probably different from just about anywhere else we've been.

It's kind of hard to describe. It's VERY traditional, but also very beautiful. It's part cultural experience, part amusement park. It's probably what you'd get if you combined the tradition of Blackpool, the landscaping of Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and the gardens of Bonfante. And yet you still wouldn't get Tivoli.

It's just someplace you have to experience.

Tivoli Gardens is a park Walt Disney fell in love with and where he got most of his inspiration and ideas for Disneyland.

Elissa's Mom!

elissa's dad[alsoneverride]

Postby neverride » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:09 pm

Hamburger outside of Hamburg-Elissa, you still don't eat the pickle.
Mom says, "looks like your having a great time".
Dad says, "I am wearing your cool T-shirt much more often than you. I advertised you guys to within 690 miles of the north pole[is this politically correct - nb- no mention of light bulbs.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:00 pm

Europe Trip Day Fourteen Part One: Mirabilandia.

Originally we hadn't intended on doing both Italy parks in one day, but when we realized that Gardaland was open until Midnight, we thought this might be possible.

Mirabilandia was a nice park, although nothing spectacular, but nice. Katun is obviously the main draw as the rest of the park has your typical "amusement park" offerings: A mediocre woodie, a wild mouse, a Vekoma roller skater, a kiddie coaster, a log flume, a rapids ride, etc, etc.

The other thing to note about both Mirabilandia and Gardaland is that they used this 'wacky turnstile counter' system. There is a red light and a green light on the turnstile and when the light turns green, you go through. The turnstile counts how many people should be in the station to fill one train, and then the light turns red. Sounds simple? Yes. Does it work? NO!!!

Because of this system, just about every train of Katun had 4 or 5 empty seats. Because larger parties didn't want to split up, because people weren't paying attention to the lights, whatever.

Luckily, it seemed to be acceptable to 'line jump' your way to the front if the light was still green, no one was going through, and there were empty rows in the station.

For example on Katun, we would be like 10 people away from the turnstile, see a green light, see like 10 empty seats in the station, but for whatever reason people weren't going (they all wanted the back row, etc) feel free to push through!

Weird, indeed.

Overall, Katun was very good. It's right up there with the 'old school' bigger B&M inverts like Raptor, Pyrenees, Montu, etc. It's got a LOT of forces, it's a great layout, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

I just don't understand why they don't make them like this anymore, and instead we get tamer 'family' rides like Silver Bullet and Talon. While it's no Nemesis or Dragons, it's one of the better B&M inverts, and the Italians are lucky to have it!

On a side note, we were told an interesting story about the park's S&S towers. They were originally called the "Twin Towers" and had an air force theme to them. After 9/11 they remaned the ride since it was called "Twin Towers" and had airplanes around them! :shock: So what did they re-theme them to? Space Shuttles Discovery and Columbia!!! And then the Columbia crashed! :shock: :shock: It's a good thing they never renamed them again, because this ride is obviously doomed! :wink:

Anyway, on to some photos from today!
mirabilandia1.jpg
Here is the entrance to the park. It looks nice from the outside, looks nice on the inside, but it's got very 'common' offerings.
mirabilandia2.jpg
Here is Katun, an 'old school' B&M. Lots of forces, a great layout, and a lot of fun!
mirabilandia3.jpg
I loved this helix so close to the ground. It reminded me a LOT of PGA's Top Gun helix. Very fast and very intense!
mirabilandia4.jpg
It's got one of those narrower style cobra rolls which someone told me they only started building those recently. Well, here's one from 2000!
mirabilandia5.jpg
This gives you a pretty good idea of the layout for the 1st part of the ride. This is right up there with Raptor, Pyranees, and Montu.
mirabilandia6.jpg
Group photo with some friends from http://www.theparks.it/
mirabilandia7.jpg
We found the "Drum Game" at Mirabilandia!!! We couldn't believe it! We haven't seen one of these machines since Japan! This is our new video game addiction. See ya, DDR, and hello Taiko No Tatsujin!
mirabilandia8.jpg
Elissa and Marko go for a ride on the Roller Skater.
mirabilandia9.jpg
The park's woodie "Sierra Tonante" didn't leave us too impressed. BTW, who makes those trains?!?!?
mirabilandia9a.jpg
Hang on, this is NOT going to be smooth!
mirabilandia10.jpg
Dan loves Vekoma Roller Skaters SOOOO much, he just had to touch it!
mirabilandia11.jpg
The shot towers used to be called the "Twin Towers." For obvious reason they changed the name....
mirabilandia12.jpg
And it wound up being themed to yet another recent disaster!!!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby nemesis-storm » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi Robb,

I'm pleased you guys enjoyed Katun.
I reckon it's one of the best B&M's around.

How long were the queues?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:21 pm

^ There weren't any. Although they were only running one train on everything, it was about a 2 train wait on average. I figure that if they didn't have the wacky red light/green light turnstile system, and people actually filled the station, it would be a one train wait at the most.

--Robb

Not Everyone In Germany Wears Lederhosen and Eats Sauerkraut

Postby Hattuchili » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:24 pm

Wow!
And again Robb, great update. I really like your Katun pictures! All in all it looks like you have had a nice day at Mirabilandia!
Is the "Twin Towers" story really true?! That sounds so awesome! :shock: In a view of that I agree 100% with you! I hope they never change the name, again! :wink:

However, here is my new update from the Movie Park, which we visited: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... sc&start=0

--Sören
--> from good old Germany and back in Orlando!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive