The Official "TPR In Europe" Ongoing TR Thread.

Daily reports and photos from our trip!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Site Admin

Re: Paris Rock n Roller Coaster Question

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:32 am

Erik Johnson wrote:Robb mentioned that he prefers the Paris version of Rock N Roller Coaster over the Orlando version which leads me to believe that the Paris version is simply not a clone. Since I am a fan of the Orlando one, I was wondering if there were any other differences between the two coasters.

The track layout is a clone, but the show is totally different!

While the Orlando version is themed to a 'fast trip to the show' the Paris version is themed to you being at the show and you 'ride the music.' Basically, it's just a spectactular light show with great use of fog, lights, and other visuals.

IMO, the lighting inside Rock N Roller Coaster is much better than in Mission 2.

While it's hard to get photos of it, here's some video grabs from our last visit in 2002:

That kind of gives you an idea of what I mean.

For what it's worth, Elissa perfers the Orlando version, but everyone else here who has ridden both (Dan, Joey, Dave, and myself) all prefered the Paris version.

--Robb

Idiot.

Postby Jeezus Juice » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:40 am

The Paris RnR has a dance club lighting package throughout the course instead of the black-lit plywood donuts Orlando has.

Other than that I believe all 3 coasters are the same layout wise.

-Don "The third being Xpress at WW" tha gansta

edit because Robb beat me to it, grrrr...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:02 am

Day Eighteen: Disneyland Paris Day Two!

Today was our 2nd, and "full day" at Disneyland Paris!

Our morning started off over at Disneyland getting a fastpass on Big Thunder Mountain. I still prefer this Big Thunder to all the other ones simply because of the cool tunnels that take you back and forth under the river where all the track is. (For those of you that don't know, Big Thunder in Paris is located on the island where Tom Saywer's Island is at all the other Magic Kingdoms.)

The second tunnel getting you back to 'land' is the best as you fly down underneath the river, get good speed and even a little airtime! Still, it was a morning ride, so it wasn't running to it's full potential. Maybe tomorrow after we get back from Asterix it will be running better.

We took a quick spin on Phantom Manor, again, the best of the Haunted Mansion's IMO. It's very different from the original layout, at least the last few rooms, and it seems to make more sense here.

Then on over to Disney Studios Paris, which, I just want to say that I really don't think this park deserves the bad rap that it gets. For what it is, it's nice. There's nothing wrong with it. The only thing wrong is that there just isn't enough to do yet. I think after Tower opens, and if they get one or two more "D" ticket attractions, this place will be on par with several other 2nd gate parks. Remember, when Disney/MGM Studios opened in 1989, that park had almost nothing: Great Movie Ride, Indy Stunt Show, Backstage Tour, Animation Tour, Superstar Television, Monster Sound Show, and a couple of other crappy shows.

Anyway....we did the Motors - Action stunt show and I have to say that my thought after seeing this show in Orlando remains the same....the Paris version is better...WAY better!

First off, there is no 'guest interaction' part, which I think really adds to the comedy of the show the way it's done. They basically pull a bunch of people out of the crowd, have them "audition" to play a part, then put them down on the stage in the middle of where all the cars drive and have them "act out" a little scene while all the action happens. It's very cool! And the fact that Elissa managed to be one of the "actors" made it that much funnier today! :lol:

Second, the show just seems to go much faster. There are still long gaps in between each sequence as they get all the stunts set up, but they seem to go much quicker and don't drag as much. I remember in Orlando thinking that I just couldn't wait to get out of the damn theater because it took SOOOO LOOOONG to get to the next stunt. Here it was very quick and they put you right back in the action.

Third, they didn't play that HORRIBLE Lindsey Lohan Herbie trailer. Sure, Herbie still comes out and there is a little montage of the old movies as they show off Disney's "most famous automobile" but it didn't feel like a cheap commercial for everyone to watch while they've got you captured.

After that we hit up "Cinemagic" which was new to us, and while it's 'filler' material for the park, it was pretty good filler stuff. Basically it's a movie with some live action, where they show you clips of some of the most popular movies ever. But it's done in a very clever way with the story being that the guy on stage gets 'sucked into' the movies. The effects are very good, and it's certainly worth seeing at least once. The best part of it was the 'misting effects' that got Dan "I don't like to get wet" wet! :D

We moved back over to Disneyland and into the Alice Labrynth where we proceed to get Dan "I don't like to get wet" wet some more!!! :lol: We are mean and horrible, but I'm sure he'll forgive us at some point!

The maze is great, though. Something that I wish would come to more Disney Magic Kingdoms. It's always a good laugh, there are fun little effects, and it took us a long time to get through it since we let Joey lead us. His excuse? "It took Moses 40 years to get my people out of the dessert, so what do you expect?"

Elissa and I still recovering from our cold headed back to the hotel for some McDonalds and rest. The McDonalds here in Festival Disney...wow...what can I say...it really is the worst in the world and it's always been jam packed!

Oh well, we eventually got our food, got some rest, and now we'll meet the others for Dinner in Festival Disney.

Tomorrow is Parc Asterix and More Disneyland!!!

Onto some photos!
dlp10.jpg
Did we mention how much cooler the castle is here than all the other Magic Kingdoms?
dlp11.jpg
Our obligitory photo with a Disney character!
dlp12.jpg
Time for an early morning ride on Big Thunder to wake us up.
dlp13.jpg
DLP's version of Phantom Manor is the coolest of all the Magic Kingdoms. It actually has a story!
dlp14.jpg
Basically, this chick here....
dlp15.jpg
Get's the shaft by this angry dude here.
dlp16.jpg
And there are a lot of these skeleton dudes hanging around too.
dlp17.jpg
The Moteurs Action stunt show we thought was better than Florida's Lights, Motors, Action show, and turns out it is!
dlp18.jpg
It's even better when Elissa tries to "act" in the show. Here she is auditioning for the part of "Obnoxious screaming girl!" =)
dlp19.jpg
And there she is out in the middle of the action running from the cars and motorcycles!
dlp20.jpg
Let's take a closer look at that! =)
dlp24.jpg
While the show is pretty much the same as Florida's, the addition of the guest interaction part, and the fact that the show 'flows' a bit better here in Paris just makes it much better, IMO.
dlp21.jpg
Time to go into the hedge maze! We have a secret plan to get Dan wet! :evil grin:
dlp22.jpg
Dan doesn't look too happy with us.
dlp23.jpg
"Hey Dan, is this an acceptable level of wetness?"
dlp25.jpg
ROBB!!!! WATCH YOUR SPEED!!!!
dlp26.jpg
Worst McDonalds EVER!!!

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:38 am

I have seen the Orlando version of Lights, Motor, Action twice. They have been able to speed up the transitions between the stunts better. The show lasts about 30mins now. I suspect with practice (since its a brand new show) they will get better with the transitions. I was able to see the very first performance of the Orlando show back in March and it was well over an hour to get through the whole thing (and not everything was in place like the sea-doo part). The 2nd time I saw it was in May and it moved a lot better. Having some of the Paris Disney guests participate in the show looks like fun. Does the Paris version have the section where they pick a kid out of the crowd to try out driving a car with a remote control? Thanks for the video grabs from the Paris RnRC, the lighting looks pretty neat. Since the story or the themeing of the coaster seems to be different, do they have the same pre-show? (Since you are at the show now instead of driving to it). One feature that many people seem not to notice in the Orlando version of RnRC is the small lighted city on the floor in the center of the coaster building...I thought it was kinda neat.

Till October for Halloween Horror Nights, and Not so Scary Halloween! You guys doing Halloscream at Busch Gardens as well?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby leem » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:41 am

Robb, What is yoru opinion on Pirates Of The Caribbean at DLP compared to the other parks? Personally, since they ditched mission 1 on SM, I think it's the best ride in the park.

If it Wasn't For Cliffs I'd Have to Drive 7 Hours for Wood!!!

Postby crispy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:47 am

I wish I could go to Disneyland Paris

:crying:

Not Everyone In Germany Wears Lederhosen and Eats Sauerkraut

Postby Hattuchili » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:53 am

Hey Robb,
great pictures! Glad to see you have so much fun!
The Moteurs Action stunt show with Elissa as an actor? That must be awesome! :D I was an actor at the show on my last trip, last year! Yes, I think this is a good effectfull show!
Big Thunder Mountain, I totally agree wit you, Robb! I also think the Paris version is the best! I like the part, riding under the river, too!
However, hope to see more Disney pictures tomorrow.

--Sören

P.s. On the last pictures I saw you had dinner at the Hunter´s Grill! This is my favorite there, too! But if you want to eat some good food, in a nice atmosphere, than check out the Blue Lagoon Restaurant in the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction! This is the best restaurant ever! You will sit in the attraction, and see the passing boats! It is really good! :wink:
--> from good old Germany and back in Orlando!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coaster1 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:12 pm

Guess the Blue Lagoon is like DLR's Blue Bayou in POTC .. ok it needs to be next summer now so I can go on my European Adventure ...

*waits*

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:22 pm

Erik Johnson wrote:Does the Paris version have the section where they pick a kid out of the crowd to try out driving a car with a remote control?

Yes, but it's actually one of the actors that are picked, then they had the remote control to the actor. The cool thing about it here is that the person that has the remote control is actually out in the middle of the stage, so the car zips right by them. When we saw it in Orlando, the person with the remote control was behind the gates. I'm guessing they probably has some real insurance problems in America having guests out in the area where the cars go racing by!

Thanks for the video grabs from the Paris RnRC, the lighting looks pretty neat. Since the story or the themeing of the coaster seems to be different, do they have the same pre-show? (Since you are at the show now instead of driving to it).

No, the pre-show it totally different. Same premise, same room, same Aerosmith, BUT it's like 20 seconds long! The group is standing in front of a model of a roller coaster and Steven Tyler says something like "...and then when you get to top of the loop you get 1 G's, 2G's, 3 G's......Going Dowwwwn....(queue Aerosmith music and doors open!)"

It's awesome. I hate the pre-show in Orlando (Give me a stretch...make that a SUPER stretch!) :lol: so this pre-show being over in like 10 seconds is SO much better!

Till October for Halloween Horror Nights, and Not so Scary Halloween! You guys doing Halloscream at Busch Gardens as well?

We haven't done that in a few years, but maybe this year we will!

--Robb

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:31 pm

We just got back from the Character Dinner at Cafe Mickey's. Dude, this was AWESOME! Since we had one of the DLP Cast Memebers with us, we were sort of 'flirting' with all the charaters and they were writing us funny stuff on the napkins!

Once again, Mr. Smee was the coolest character! If you remember our 2002 Europe DVD when Mr. Smee was all over us making jokes and stuff, it was the same tonight!

The funniest moment was when we told Mr. Smee that Joey worked for Universal, he wrote on a napkin "Shut it Universal Boy" and every time Joey would try to say something, he would put his finger over his mouth, point at Joey, then point at the napkin! :lol: We were cracking up!!!!

And then he took the "Cafe Mickey" napkin and changed it to "Cafe Smee!" The characters here have been awesome (did you guys see in the previous update we got attacked by Baloo!)

Anyway, I just thought I'd post a few more photos from today since we had such a good time, we wanted to share it with you!

And thanks again to Louis for being such a good tour guide! Dinner tomorrow with Frederic, Nicolas, and everyone should be a lot of fun!

--Robb

Now onto the photos!
dlp27.jpg
This time around Dan and Joey get attacked by Baloo! Baloo even tried to order dessert for Dan...poor dan, there was nothing "sans sucre" on the menu.
dlp28.jpg
I like my women small and rodent shaped.
dlp30.jpg
Mr. Smee remembers me from 2002!
dlp29.jpg
"Joey works at Universal???? Noooooo!"
dlp31.jpg
"Shut it Universal boy" says Mr. Smee! LOL!
dlp32.jpg
Which one does Elissa like more? The Rodent or Louis?
dlp33.jpg
"Rodent Orgy"
dlp34.jpg
"This one is for you Soren!"

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive