The Official "TPR In Europe" Ongoing TR Thread.

Daily reports and photos from our trip!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:37 am

Hey everyone! Day one of our trip is over, and it was a GREAT day at Walibi Belgium (aka. Vekomaland!)

Getting to the park from the hotel was very easy and we were one of the first ten cars in the parking lot. Since we bought our Walibi passes online, we were all set.

Entering the park we head for the Vekoma SLC first since it was right at the front and the boys needed their credit. To be honest, it wasn't that bad! I rode in the front row and probably didn't get head banged a single time! :shock:

After that we headed to Loup Garou, the Vekoma woodie. Not sure how this has managed to stay in good shape all these years, but it has. I can now say that there are two things Vekoma can do right: Roller Skaters and wooden coasters! Seriously, this ride is STILL great! Yes it shuffles a bit, and yes it has some bumpy spots, but it's not "rough" like some of those once great CCI's have become.

At this point we noticed that both Vampire (SLC) and Loup Garou had about an hour line each. It seemed that EVERYONE in the park was at these two rides because nothing else had a line.

Next we went to Turbine and if you remember, this is the shuttle loop that got stuck upside down a few years ago. Since then they have enclosed the entire launch track and the loop with only the spikes being outdoors. This coaster is so much fun because of that. Three years ago there were some really cool lighting effects inside the enclosed parts, and it was disappointing to see that they aren't there anymore (or at least weren't on today), but the ride was still really fun. Being a fly-wheel model the launch is strong, yet it IS braked on the way back through the station. Not as much as the weight-drop versions, but it is braked.

We made our way around to the back of the park, did the Intamin giant drop on the way (GREAT drop ride, BTW), hit up the Vekoma mine train coaster, and then we did something that was a complete surprise to us: 'Challenge of Tutankhamon' This was a dark ride built a couple of years ago using the new version of the Sally Dark Ride system. It's a 'trackless' ride system with the cars holding 6 people each. The effects were fantastic, using real fire in one section, there are three different endings depending on your score, and all of us were really impressed! It reminded me a lot of the Pooh system used in Tokyo Disneyland. We ended up riding this a second time we were so impressed with it!

Next up was the Vekoma Boomerang (we told you this was Vekoma land!) and that was actually decent...for a boomerang. Since the park was so empty, we went back and rode Turbine again, Loup Garou again, and did a couple of flat rides (tea cups that were more like a whip!)

And then....OMG...the most INSANE bumper cars any of us have ever been on!!! We called them the "no rules" bumper cars....because there were no rules! :shock: You could drive any direction you wanted, if you wanted head on collisions...GO FOR IT, and what ended up was complete chaos! It was crazy fun!!!

We wandered around a bit more, ate some crepes, rode Loup Garoup again, and finally headed back to our hotel. We spent a good 7 hours at the park and it was all very nice and relaxing, and overall fun. Even though it was "Vekomaland" we didn't hit one bad coaster today.

Tomorrow we're off to Bobbjaanland (or however you spell it!). Even though there will be a much bigger Europe update coming later, here are a few photos from today....

NOTE: If you want to go right to the page of the latest trip report and photos without reading through the responses, check the "what's new" page: http://www.themeparkreview.com/whatsnew.htm
sfb1.jpg
No more "Six Flags"....welcome to "Walibi Belgium!"
sfb4.jpg
First order of the day...SLC!!!! :)
sfb5.jpg
Ahh, yes...you can see we are very happy to be riding Vekomaland coasters!
sfb2.jpg
One thing Vekoma seems to do right...wooden coasters!
sfb3.jpg
WE LOVE VEKOMA!!!
sfb6.jpg
"No shorts allowed in Walibi Belgium...only speedos!" :o
sfb7.jpg
"Dalton Terror" was a kick A$$ Intamin Giant Drop!
sfb9.jpg
Joey says "I love Vekoma mine trains!" =)
sfb10.jpg
Dan: "Pray For Us, Max, we're on a Boomerang!"
sfb11.jpg
Theme Park Review readers Maverick and Benny put up with us today!
sfb12.jpg
Ahh, "Happy Hour" on the go-karts!
sfb13.jpg
Joey and "Wok," the stereo-typical, non-politically correct, super offensive Walibi dragon! :o
sfb14.jpg
Ahh, finally, a coaster that's NOT made by Vekoma!!!
sfb15.jpg
"Beware of electric bolts that made you breathe fire!" WTF?!?
sfb16.jpg
"This was a bad idea....thanks Dave!"

Sexing up the North Pole

Postby Token Yankee Guy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:49 am

Whats with the Belgiums and speedos? Thats like the complete opposite you'll see at an american waterpark. Great Trip Report.
"Britain, Britain, Britain, We're open from 9 to 6, monday through saturdays"

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:58 am

Well I'll be, a place for people with a speedo-fetish! :P

And then....OMG...the most INSANE bumper cars any of us have ever been on!!! We called them the "no rules" bumper cars....because there were no rules! Shocked You could drive any direction you wanted, if you wanted head on collisions...GO FOR IT, and what ended up was complete chaos! It was crazy fun!!!

Aren't Kennywood's bumper cars (Grand Prix) run in the same fashion? They used to be.

Great trip report! Have fun guys!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby El Quinte » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:03 am

Token Yankee Guy wrote:

Whats with the Belgiums and speedos? Thats like the complete opposite you'll see at an american waterpark. Great Trip Report.
It's a law in the southern part of Belgium (cauz of hygiene).

Nice TR!! I'm looking forward to read your next :D

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Maverick_be » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:11 am

I Love Donkeys!

Postby T-Bô » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:14 am

Cool report!

If I didn't have stupid exams right now I would've come to!
Great to see that you enjoyed Walibi ;)!
Can't wait to read your next report!

Have fun at Bobbejaanland tomorrow!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Oblivion » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:17 am

Nice tripreport!! To bad I couldn't be there today :( (exams). You also made some nice pictures. And like you said, the strobe light is still there, you just weren't lucky to see it.

A Belgian Coaster Fan

Postby Nicolas -TRZ- » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:20 am

Oblivion wrote:Nice tripreport!! To bad I couldn't be there today :( (exams). You also made some nice pictures. And like you said, the strobe light is still there, you just weren't lucky to see it.

actually the streobe light are broken down since 1 or 2 years ago :)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Rutger » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:25 am

Did you guys like the bumper cars? OMG they are the worst I've ever done! Slooowwww....

And what are the rules on americain bumper cars?

Not Everyone In Germany Wears Lederhosen and Eats Sauerkraut

Postby Hattuchili » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:28 am

Wow,
great update! It looks like a good day at Walibi Belgium. :wink:

--Sören "can´t wait to see more pictures" Schomburg
--> from good old Germany and back in Orlando!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive