Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1843 - Volcano being REMOVED!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 am

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
grsupercity wrote:Sadly my guess is a couple years down the road this unique one of a kind attraction gets replaced with a B&M invert. Plus side capacity would be soooo much better

If they could re-use the mountain, it would great to use the mountain for a dark ride, but from what I've heard the problem was mostly the mountain itself, so the mountain will probably be coming down with the ride.

Its anybody's guess as to what KD will add next. B&M inverts aren't that common to build anymore. Only one has been built in America in the last 10 years. Source:

https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=6717&page=1&order=-8

I think that the better money would be on a dive coaster, traditional B&M hyper, or wing coaster.

Or they'll just add some kind of kiddie area.

sincerely doubt they would put a Hyper *right next to* I305.

and would be genuinely shocked if they installed a Dive Coaster (not that it woudln't be a good fit for the park, as they don't have a coaster of that style. . but because it's so close to Griffon at BGW just up the street).

at this point, I think many would be happy if they just put a bathroom over there.. but I really think it's likely gonna be a flat / flats going in that spot, as that area of the park is pretty coaster heavy.

but hey, what do I know? Sorry to see Volcano go, but I understand why . . and I'm just glad i got a chance to ride it a few years ago.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby thrillrider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 am

Why not bring in a water/dark ride attraction? The volcano would be perfect for something like this.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:13 am

I'm of the belief that the volcano won't last, either. TBH, I'm of the opinion that they SHOULD remove it alongside the coaster, rather than try to shoehorn yet another attraction into it. Just start from scratch. Personally, I could see a launch coaster similar to Copperhead Strike over there, but at this point it's all just pure speculation.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am

^^Better yet why not get rid of the existing, already-successful and well established water park and make a new giant volcano themed water park in a totally different spot.

... just kidding, the thought of anyone doing something like that would just be ridiculous.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:35 am

:nina:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland & World Waterpark

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby ripleybl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am

Richmond's local news station, Channel 8 News, just came by my work to interview me on my thoughts of the closing and removal of Volcano. Kristin Smith Dunlop interviewed me and she said that story will be on the 6pm news tonight. After the interview, she told me she also interviewed the "Head of Maintenance" of the ride and he gave a more detailed description, reason, and problems that were involved with the closing and removal of the coaster.

I have never uploaded a photo or video before on this website, so I'll do my best to record the interview/story tonight and upload it to this thread. Anyone else in the Richmond area can film it or upload it too. I'm pretty sure I'll mess it up somehow when trying to post it.

I must admit a was a little nervous during the interview so don't judge me too much!

Postby prozach626 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Don't worry. They'll cut out any awkward parts and make you look composed. When I was on the news I had to drive a car with a camera pointed 2 feet away from my face, while doing my job... I like public speaking, but felt that it was going to turn out much worse than it did. My point is, don't worry about it. Don't underestimate the power of professional editing. I'm sure you're happy you had the opportunity. I'm looking forward to your video.

Sorry for MY plug. Now, back to the eruption of enthusiast tears.
Last edited by prozach626 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 pm.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm

bert425 wrote:
grsupercity wrote:Sadly my guess is a couple years down the road this unique one of a kind attraction gets replaced with a B&M invert. Plus side capacity would be soooo much better

If they could re-use the mountain, it would great to use the mountain for a dark ride, but from what I've heard the problem was mostly the mountain itself, so the mountain will probably be coming down with the ride.

Its anybody's guess as to what KD will add next. B&M inverts aren't that common to build anymore. Only one has been built in America in the last 10 years. Source:

I think that the better money would be on a dive coaster, traditional B&M hyper, or wing coaster.

and would be genuinely shocked if they installed a Dive Coaster (not that it woudln't be a good fit for the park, as they don't have a coaster of that style. . but because it's so close to Griffon at BGW just up the street).

at this point, I think many would be happy if they just put a bathroom over there.. but I really think it's likely gonna be a flat / flats going in that spot, as that area of the park is pretty coaster heavy.

but hey, what do I know? Sorry to see Volcano go, but I understand why . . and I'm just glad i got a chance to ride it a few years ago.

I wasn't saying that they would put it right next to i305. Did I say that? In my suggestion, they put somewhere in the park that's not right next to i305. And there's precedent: every other Cedar Fair park that has a giga also has a hyper... for whatever that's worth.

And even if they didn't find any room other than i305, a traditional B&M hyper would be a totally different ride than i305. I305 is all G-force and tight banks/turns, while a more traditional B&M hyper would be about bunny hills, floater air, and getting to have a clambar.

Postby bert425 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 pm

bert425 wrote:

I wasn't saying that they would put it right next to i305. Did I say that? In my suggestion, they put somewhere in the park that's not right next to i305. And there's precedent: every other Cedar Fair park that has a giga also has a hyper... for whatever that's worth.

And even if they didn't find any room other than i305, a traditional B&M hyper would be a totally different ride than i305. I305 is all G-force and tight banks/turns, while a more traditional B&M hyper would be about bunny hills, floater air, and getting to have a clambar.

Volcano is right next to I305

the conversation is what was going to go in place of Volcano -- implied by your talk of what they would do with the Mountain.

and Kings Dominion has a huge kids area already (including a Jr. woodie in Woodstock Express).

have you not been to this park?
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm

bert425 wrote:

have you not been to this park?

Based on almost every one of his posts, I'd be surprised if he's been to any parks outside of Tampa, and even that one is pushing it. His title says it all.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!