Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 1718 - New maze & shows for Haunt
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby alilstronger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:44 pm

Jason Maier wrote:Which was rougher . . . Hurler or Anaconda?

I do not find Anaconda rough much. To me it feels more awkward. The only thing about it I do not like is when it slows down so much to go through the last part of the ride.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...

Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Wooden: Iron Rattler

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby defrocker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:53 pm

alilstronger wrote:The only thing about it I do not like is when it slows down so much to go through the last part of the ride.

See, I think that's what makes the corkscrews some of the best arrow ever made. Love the hangtime.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby CPmillenia94 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 pm

^Agreed!!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:01 am

Here's what you'll find lurking in the shadows at this year's Haunt (press release and photos from Kings Domonion).

Haunt 1 (2).jpg

NEW Terror Lurks at Kings Dominion’s Halloween Haunt, Fright-Free Family Fun Returns with The Great Pumpkin Fest
Fall events begin at the park Saturday, September 23

Doswell, VA — Kings Dominion will debut three gruesome new experiences as the dreadful fun of Halloween Haunt returns for its 17th frightful season on Saturday, September 23, 2017. The Great Pumpkin Fest also returns on September 23 with family-friendly Halloween fun in Planet Snoopy.

Adding to an already macabre lineup of mazes, monsters and live entertainment, the new Halloween Haunt highlights include a bayou-themed maze and two new roving performances.

Blood on the Bayou.jpg

NEW MAZE: Blood on the Bayou
The park’s newest maze is themed after a haunted bayou where the swamps once ran red with blood, with whispers of curses and unnamed voodoo priests. Guests will wind their way through a swamp, past a half-sunken ship where the evil that lies in wait hungers for new visitors.

NEW SHOW: The Grave Walkers
Take a stroll with these twisted interactive street performers as they bring the best of the French Quarter to the Commonwealth. Listen for the blare of an approaching trumpet or the blast of a tuba as they take to the streets with a Halloween party like no other.

NEW SHOW: The Coven
In this roaming performance, a troupe of witches are wreaking havoc on the midways with their bizarre rituals. Beware because they are looking for their next victim as they prepare for the coming solstice.

In total, those who dare can brave eight mazes, five scare zones and a variety of live shows during Halloween Haunt, which features the largest scare force in the region with hundreds of monsters roaming the midways. During the nighttime event, guests can also get their adrenaline fix on more than 20 rides, including Intimidator™ 305 and Dominator, as fog and darkness blanket the park.

Test your limits and experience fear beyond your worst nightmares with all-new Skeleton Key rooms. Guests face extra terror as they unlock exclusive chambers and complete sinister tasks in order to escape. Skeleton Key is exclusive to Fright Lane, a premium feature that gives guests front-of-the-line access to mazes and rides. Haunt is held select nights September 23 through October 29; entry tickets plus Fright Lane passes can be purchased online. Monsters descend upon the park at 7 p.m. during the Overlord’s Resurrection as he calls forth all of his minions and sends them out into the night.

GPF.jpg

For daytime Halloween fun with no fear, The Great Pumpkin Fest in Planet Snoopy features surprises around every corner, from a petting zoo to a pumpkin painting patch. The little ones can take part in educational and interactive shows such as Mad Science: Halloween Edition.

The Great Pumpkin Fest has activities for the whole family to enjoy together; as an added benefit, children three to five years of age are eligible for FREE admission when their parent or guardian registers and activates their 2018 Pre-K Pass. The Great Pumpkin Fest is held select Saturdays and Sundays from September 23 through October 29 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

For the most up-to-date hours of operation, visit http://www.kingsdominion.com. The Great Pumpkin Fest and Halloween Haunt are both included with park admission. To get a FREE visit to Kings Dominion during Halloween Haunt, guests can purchase a 2018 Gold Season Pass.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby virtualattractions » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:37 pm

It has been announced this week that the Denny’s located in front of Kings Dominion that is adjoined to the Motel 6 will permanently close this autumn. It will close after Halloween Haunt ends and Kings Dominion closes for the 2017 season. I asked a waitress about the situation who claims that it will be relocated to a new building that will be constructed at a more visible site.

The restaurant originally opened 30 years ago as The Brentwood and was renovated into Denny’s during the 90’s.
Denny's Closing (2).PNG

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Rayj » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Random question, why did KD stop operating one side of rebel yell backwards? I forgot the reason why, but maybe they could bring it back for just one year with the addition of Twisted Timbers.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby bill_s » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:00 am

^^-- The official reason was that Cedar Fair doesn't run rides other than as intended. Almost certainly the actual reason was that in 2008, the year it was put back forward, it was almost too rough to run safely forwards, much less backwards. The rise into the turnaround at that time was the roughest spot on any KD coaster ever, and that's saying a lot, and was retracked for 2009.

Currently, South is closed, with track ripped up and retracking occurring on the South side in the turnaround and following drop. Apparently it couldn't wait.
Last edited by bill_s on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 am.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:29 am

virtualattractions wrote:It has been announced this week that the Denny’s located in front of Kings Dominion that is adjoined to the Motel 6 will permanently close this autumn.

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago and it's a bit of a bummer. Back when it was a Best Western we stayed there and loved that Denny's. While Denny's food obviously sucks, it's really convenient to be able to walk out of the room, walk to Denny's for breakfast and walk to the front gate from there. The fact that it's open 24 hours so you can go there for Dinner after a midnight close and then walk back to your room is even better.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby ericthewanderer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Rayj wrote:Random question, why did KD stop operating one side of rebel yell backwards? I forgot the reason why, but maybe they could bring it back for just one year with the addition of Twisted Timbers.

From what I heard,KI & KD took the regular PTC trains on one side and turned them around to run backwards.When PTC found out about it they said that doing so voided whatever warranty/insurance was on said train because it wasn't being "used as intended".Case in point:B&M constructed a special backwards train for SF to use on their B:TRs.

Postby Vonni » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:13 pm

virtualattractions wrote:It has been announced this week that the Denny’s located in front of Kings Dominion that is adjoined to the Motel 6 will permanently close this autumn. It will close after Halloween Haunt ends and Kings Dominion closes for the 2017 season. I asked a waitress about the situation who claims that it will be relocated to a new building that will be constructed at a more visible site.

The restaurant originally opened 30 years ago as The Brentwood and was renovated into Denny’s during the 90’s.

The Denny's just down the road from SFStL closed down as well. I am not aware if it relocated.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!