Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Location: Logan, Utah
Gender: Male
Age: 20

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:11 pm

I didn't expect them to open any of the B&Ms, but I am a little surprised they didn't even open a single roller coaster like Silver Streak, Thunder Run, or Guardian.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?
 
Posts: 167
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Gender: None specified

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby thirstydeer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:22 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:I didn't expect them to open any of the B&Ms, but I am a little surprised they didn't even open a single roller coaster like Silver Streak, Thunder Run, or Guardian.


I thought they were going to open some of the coasters where you can see what I at least thought was base heaters attached to the track in the stations of rides like Leviathan and Yukon Striker.
Image

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?
 
Posts: 274
Joined: 11 Jul 2015
Gender: Female

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby PATTYCAKES » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:00 pm

thirstydeer wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:I didn't expect them to open any of the B&Ms, but I am a little surprised they didn't even open a single roller coaster like Silver Streak, Thunder Run, or Guardian.


I thought they were going to open some of the coasters where you can see what I at least thought was base heaters attached to the track in the stations of rides like Leviathan and Yukon Striker.


If they actually installed the heaters as we all thought, then they probably didn't work in Canada as I think they were testing the heaters on Leviathan last winter. Having heaters on the wheels are going to keep the wheels warm, but it will not melt the ice and snow off the track. We don't really have to worry about no coasters . . . if we have an ice storm or a big snowfall then no rides will be open anyway. I have been to Wonderland in winter time when I worked there. The brick pathways become very slippery. They are going to have to constantly be clearing the snow off the pathways. It is going to be interesting walking over the bridge on main street.

:mickey:

I own the website www.donkey.com
User avatar
 
Posts: 815
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: Depew, NY
Gender: Male
Age: 21

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby SbSteveZ » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:07 pm

They most certainly installed the wheel warmers. That’s not the part in question.

However it just never seemed likely that their use was intended for Winterfest. It’s probably for those days we get over here with those cold starts so they don’t need to rely on water dummies or have the ride perform as “sluggish” as folks claim in the colder temperatures

If anything else they’re probably perfect for HAUNT.
Last Coaster: Nitro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
150TH COASTER: The Riddler Revenge @ Six Flags New England
RIDE ON
Image

Online
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey
User avatar
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: 28 Oct 2015
Location: Acton, ON, Canada
Gender: Male
Age: 23

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby Johnlloyd » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:49 am

SbSteveZ wrote:They most certainly installed the wheel warmers. That’s not the part in question.

However it just never seemed likely that their use was intended for Winterfest. It’s probably for those days we get over here with those cold starts so they don’t need to rely on water dummies or have the ride perform as “sluggish” as folks claim in the colder temperatures

If anything else they’re probably perfect for HAUNT.



I agree. Their use is definitely for those cooler days earlier and later in the season. With the installation of the wheel warmers earlier this year, Leviathan has been flying on those days! :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:18 am

PATTYCAKES wrote:If they actually installed the heaters as we all thought, then they probably didn't work in Canada as I think they were testing the heaters on Leviathan last winter.


The coasters aren't running because the park is owned by Cedar Fair. It has nothing to do with the quality of the wheel heaters. Nobody should ever expect decent ride lineups at any Cedar Fair Winterfest event at a seasonal park (aside from Great America but that park shouldn't be seasonal anyway and the limited lineup is still sort of pathetic considering there's a Six Flags park up the road that's fully open all year long).

If this were a Six Flags park, Leviathan would probably run. :lol:

The daily average in Vaughan is virtually identical to the daily average in Gurnee by the end of the event (actually one degree warmer Fahrenheit for the high and 4 degrees warmer for the low) and they run 8 coasters including a 73 mph hyper (and possibly more this year). All of their B&Ms run for the event.
Last edited by coasterbill on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?
 
Posts: 167
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Gender: None specified

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby thirstydeer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:44 am

So I just read in the National Post that Six Flags has approached Cedar Fairs with a cash and stock offer to buy the chain. Nothing has been officially acknowledged.

My question is lets say this becomes reality, what do you think it means to CW? How do you think CW will be treated compared to SF other properties... cause when I think of SF and Canada I think about how shoddy La Ronde is. CF has treated CW with good care in my opinion.
Last edited by thirstydeer on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:27 pm.
Image

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:46 am

thirstydeer wrote:My question islets say this becomes reality, what do you think it means to CW?


It means sit back, hold on tight and enjoy your flight on Leviathan in December. Boowoop eh? :lol:
Last edited by coasterbill on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:47 am.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?
 
Posts: 274
Joined: 11 Jul 2015
Gender: Female

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby PATTYCAKES » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:21 pm

coasterbill wrote:
PATTYCAKES wrote:If they actually installed the heaters as we all thought, then they probably didn't work in Canada as I think they were testing the heaters on Leviathan last winter.


The coasters aren't running because the park is owned by Cedar Fair. It has nothing to do with the quality of the wheel heaters. Nobody should ever expect decent ride lineups at any Cedar Fair Winterfest event at a seasonal park (aside from Great America but that park shouldn't be seasonal anyway and the limited lineup is still sort of pathetic considering there's a Six Flags park up the road that's fully open all year long).

If this were a Six Flags park, Leviathan would probably run. :lol:

The daily average in Vaughan is virtually identical to the daily average in Gurnee by the end of the event (actually one degree warmer Fahrenheit for the high and 4 degrees warmer for the low) and they run 8 coasters including a 73 mph hyper (and possibly more this year). All of their B&Ms run for the event.


So out the window with safety eh, bill? Just let the ice fly off Leviathan, onto the guests walking in from the parking and smash and destroy peoples cars. Correct me if I misunderstood you, Bill. :mickey:

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14804
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Image

Do you honestly believe that Great America was running Raging Bull with ice on the running rails and hurling ice at everything? JFC
Last edited by coasterbill on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:10 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron