Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby anonymouscactus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:20 pm

With the buying of a 2020 pass, historically, if you were to buy it as a "new" pass you would get a single free ticket for the previous season. If you are renewing (you can renew from ANY home park) you would get a free fast lane + to use this year.

In 2016 I bought my CW pass on Aug 29 (they probably went on sale way before that),
In 2017 I bought my CP pass as a renewal on Aug 20
In 2018 I bought my CW renewal on August 16
In 2019 I bought my CW renewal on August 15th.

If you don't currently have a pass but are looking to get one for next year, you definitely want to wait to get it at Canada's Wonderland when they go on sale. Not only will you get the free ticket for this season, but your pass will be way more inexpensive with the exchange rate (even if you have a foreign transaction fee). Historically they charge the same in Canadian dollars as they do in USD for the same price as all platinum passes.

As for crowds, I know we went on Labor Day one year, but honestly I can't remember how it was. Sorry!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DILinator » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Cool! Thanks for that information on the Platinum Passes at CW! That was my previous experience at other CF parks, so I was hoping it'd be the same here! I imagine in a couple of weeks they'll go on sale, and I'll be on the lookout for that!

I am sure it'll be busier on Labor Day weekend, but I'm trying to gauge the level of busier: will it likely be "don't even bother" busier? Or just "prepare for potentially hour long waits on the bigger coasters" busier? Anybody who can provide further insight here, it is much appreciated!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 am

DILinator wrote:I'm starting to plan some coaster trips out for next year, and I have a question for the locals/regulars. When does Canada's Wonderland begin weekday operation, typically? Do they have a set week that is the same every year, or is it more variable. Cedar Fair parks don't have any way to look back in their operation calendars, at least that I've found... Thanks in advance!

Also, it's good to see some love up above for dive coasters! I love them, and think they're a great coaster concept, and execution! I'm really excited to ride Yukon Striker, for this very reason, and hope to next year! I don't get the enthusiast hate for these coasters, but oh well... Just one more thing I'm not in sync with enthusiasts on! :lol:

drevil0208 wrote:I think it usually opens daily the 2nd or 3rd week
of May.

That's correct, for the past couple of years the park has began daily operation by the second Thursday in May. During the weekdays in May, the park is open from 10am to 6pm. That will give you plenty of time to ride and re-ride anything you want to as it is mostly school groups performing in the Festival of Music event during that time of the season. They typically leave in the mid-late afternoon. I hope this information helps, DILinator! :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Postby DILinator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:31 pm

Johnlloyd wrote:That's correct, for the past couple of years the park has began daily operation by the second Thursday in May. During the weekdays in May, the park is open from 10am to 6pm. That will give you plenty of time to ride and re-ride anything you want to as it is mostly school groups performing in the Festival of Music event during that time of the season. They typically leave in the mid-late afternoon. I hope this information helps, DILinator! :)

Thanks, it does help, Johnlloyd! I may still go next year, but now I'm planning to go later this year, so what is your take on crowds at CW for the Labor Day weekend, and Labor Day (or I should say, Labour Day) itself? Will they be really bad? Or will it be manageable? Should I wait and go the following weekend, even though the park closes two hours earlier? Thanks for any input or advice you can give regarding these dates, and what to expect crowd-wise at CW!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby Johnlloyd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 pm

DILinator wrote:
Johnlloyd wrote:That's correct, for the past couple of years the park has began daily operation by the second Thursday in May. During the weekdays in May, the park is open from 10am to 6pm. That will give you plenty of time to ride and re-ride anything you want to as it is mostly school groups performing in the Festival of Music event during that time of the season. They typically leave in the mid-late afternoon. I hope this information helps, DILinator! :)

Thanks, it does help, Johnlloyd! I may still go next year, but now I'm planning to go later this year, so what is your take on crowds at CW for the Labor Day weekend, and Labor Day (or I should say, Labour Day) itself? Will they be really bad? Or will it be manageable? Should I wait and go the following weekend, even though the park closes two hours earlier? Thanks for any input or advice you can give regarding these dates, and what to expect crowd-wise at CW!

In previous years, the park can be quite busy over the Labour Day weekend as that is the final weekend of summer vacation before schools go back here in Ontario. Also, the park holds the fireworks show on the Sunday of the Labour Day weekend, which tends to draw significant crowds. It may be best to visit the following weekend, unless that is the only time you can visit. But, if there is a chance of rain in the weather forecast, it may not be too busy. :)

Postby DILinator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:55 pm

^Thanks! That helps me to make an informed decision!

Postby Johnlloyd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:06 pm

DILinator wrote:^Thanks! That helps me to make an informed decision!

You're very welcome! I hope you have a great time whenever you decide to visit next year! :)

Postby prozach626 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:40 pm

DILinator wrote:(or I should say, Labour Day)

You might as well. There are a lot of Americans on here who've adopted Canadian spelling for whatever reason. Reverse assimilation? I suppose I don't pretend to be that cultured.

Postby DILinator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:46 pm

^What's interesting, is that I actually had assumed that Labor Day was a US holiday only, but upon looking into it, I discovered that they do indeed celebrate it in Canada, only with that alternate spelling used. Hence my added in "Labour Day" remark!

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby WolfBobs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:59 am

Going to be up at the park Thursday and Friday. Any random Canadian holidays I need to worry about? lol

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!