Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 733 - Two Villainous New Thrill Rides for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby The Geek Mojo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:50 am

coasterBro wrote:
bert425 wrote:Goliath: top-3 B&M hyper (w/ Mako & Diamondback)
MindBender: best steel coaster built before 1980 (if not 1990)
Twisted Cyclone: best RMC (IMHO, even though I know most people are drinking the Steel Vengeance Kool-Aid)
GA Scorcher: top-2 Stand-Up (w/ Riddler's Revenge at SFMM)
Batman: an excellent cloned model that holds its own with the best of the inverts
DDD: best Eurofighter
Blue Hawk: best Vekoma sit-down looper (& in the convo w/ TN Tornado, which is my favorite Arrow looper)
Superman: best US flying coaster (has the terrain interactions the other clones lack; Tatsu just floats about aimlessly above the trees; Manta is good but I think Superman edges it out)
GASM: can go die in a fire. the most boring wooden coaster I've ridden outside of CGA's Grizzly. No airtime. No laterals. No 'classic nostalgia'. Just pointlessness.
Mine Train: meh.
Justice League: I've had worse luck on this one than any of the others, and it doesn't have an externally-accessible single rider line, which sucks
Joker: best family coaster I've seen at a SF park
Acrophobia: very good drop tower (if you can get over the uncomfortable seating position)
Monster Mansion: stay out of the marsh. STAY OUT OF THE MARSH!! OH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

SFOG is my home six flags park and I'd like to agree with this very biased review of these rides I've rode a hundred times but I just can't. I've visited other parks that just have better rides. So here is my response to these.

Goliath: I agree
MindBender: I agree
Twisted Cyclone: I've rode all three new hybrids this year, and Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers are a lot better than Twisted Cyclone. Twisted Cyclone is a great ride, but it's the low man on the totem pole when it comes to RMC hybrids. I might put it above Storm Chaser and Joker but that's about it.
GA Scorcher: It is the best stand up but it's also the newest...And it's still an uncomfortable ride.
Batman: I agree that it is an excellent cloned model but it's nowhere as good as Alpengeist, Montu, or Banshee.
DDD: If SFOG could figure out how to load this coaster properly, then it might be the best Eurofighter. The ops on this ride is a downright shame. But the ride itself is great, but not worth the wait.
Blue Hawk: This ride is still painful. It was a good effort by SFOG to make this ride better, but I still skip it when I go.
Superman: Tatsu and Manta are better but that's just my opinion. I actually enjoyed SFGAm and SFGAd's better than SFOG's but that's also just my opinion.
GASM: I would say that every other coaster in SFOG can go die in a fire before GASM. This coaster was the very first coaster I ever rode and it holds a very special place in my heart. I will agree that SFOG needs to retrack the whole coaster and I miss the old trains...But GASM is my favorite in the park no matter how bad it gets.
Mine Train: I agree.
Joker: I agree.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby CPmillenia94 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:07 pm

coasterer wrote:Georgia Scorcher is never going to top any lists, but it's a pleasant ride with a solid layout.

I know I am in the far minority but I would actually place Georgia Scorcher in my top 10 somewhere. The layout is so well orchestrated; all of the maneuvers flow really well while still having a strong sense of purpose and great forces. Really left a good impression.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Zoltret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Hey, new here. anyone know the status of Acrophobia at the moment, and if its closed have they made any progress on getting it back up and running (Acrophobia is my baby :lover: )

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Zoltret » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi, New Here. anyone know the status of Acrophobia at the moment or the reason why its down?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:13 am

Is there usually a significant back up trying to leave the parking lot around closing on a weekend? I have a 10:30 flight and the park closes at 7:30, so I'm trying to gauge when to leave.

I'm leaning towards yes to be safe, but some parks can get people out of the lot much more efficiently.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

Postby bert425 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:25 am

Zoltret wrote:Hi, New Here. anyone know the status of Acrophobia at the moment or the reason why its down?

it was down ~3 1/2 weeks ago for our entire trip, and the Six Flags website still shows it unavailable: (Temporarily closed)

https://www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/attractions/thrill-rides
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:27 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Is there usually a significant back up trying to leave the parking lot around closing on a weekend? I have a 10:30 flight and the park closes at 7:30, so I'm trying to gauge when to leave.

I'm leaning towards yes to be safe, but some parks can get people out of the lot much more efficiently.

your issue is not going to be the traffic leaving the park. . it's going to be Atlanta Traffic headed towards the airport.

considering how crowded the Atlanta Airport is (for getting thru security), and how crowded the Atlanta freeways *always* are?

to be safe, I'd head out of the park (ie: walking towards the gates) at 6pm.

that's just me, i'm in the better early than late group of folks.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 am

bert425 wrote:that's just me, i'm in the better early than late group of folks.

Agreed. One or two more spins on a coaster is not worth cutting it close for your flight.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 am

^ Ok thanks. I'm always at the boat to get to the airport 2.5 hours before my flight. I'll keep an eye on traffic. I've never had an issue around Atlanta on past trips so maybe I've just been lucky.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Seddy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Zoltret wrote:Hi, New Here. anyone know the status of Acrophobia at the moment or the reason why its down?

Acro has been closed for atleast a month now. I rode past the park yesterday on the way to and from work and the hook/gondola carrier/lift was at the top of the tower so I'm sure it was closed yesterday as well. My guess is that it was hit by lightning during one of the many storms we had last month. Considering how long it has been closed, I'm assuming that they are either waiting on a part to come in from Intamin or they may have just decided to leave it closed for the remainder of the season.

I am also saddened by how long it has been closed. Acro is usually my first ride after entering the park. :(
Former SFOG Employee (2005-2006). Former GASM Op(2005). Former Thunder River Op(2006).
Favorite Woodie - El Toro --- Favorite Steel - Dèja Vu (Long live the GIB)
SFOG Ambassador - Per My Mother. (Lol)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!