TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Liseberg, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

July 15th, 2006 - Collision on Liseberbanan injures 18 (SEE BELOW!)

October 18th, 2006 - Woman seriously injured on log flume

October 6th, 2006 - Screamin Swing announced for 2007

July 15th, 2008 - Rainbow collapses

October 12th, 2008 - 2008 Visitor Summary; Disk'O "Hang Hai" announced for 2009

November 17th, 2008 - Hang Hai Construction Pics

December 16th, 2008 - The new junior coaster Rabalder announced

February 28th, 2009 - Hang Hai Construction Pics

March 16th, 2009 - Hang Hai and Rabalder installed!

March 17th, 2009 - Kulingen looping starship removed!

April 4th, 2009 - Rabalder begins testing!

April 23rd, 2009 - 2009 Press day photos

February 4th, 2010 - Liseberg annouces Quick Pass, their "beat the queue" system

March 8th, 2010 - Unique impression left by Paul Bocuse

March 11th, 2010 - 2009 is the best year yet for Liseberg

March 20th, 2010 - New flat rides for the 2010 season!

March 26th, 2010 - Observation tower to become Atmosfear drop tower!

April 22nd, 2010 - Press Day 2010 photos posted!

May 26th, 2010 - Atmosfear details and concept art released!

May 27th, 2010 - Atmosfear teaser video posted!

May 30th, 2010 - Lisebergtornet observation tower's last day of operation photos

June 5th, 2010 - Atmosfear construction begins!

August 31st, 2010 - Andreas Anderson to replace Mats Wedin as CEO

October 7th, 2010 - Atmosfear station construction photos posted!

February 4th, 2011 - Atmosfear station construction continues

February 23rd, 2011 - 'View from the Top' Atmosfear posted!

March 15th, 2011 - Atmosfear testing begins!

April 20th, 2011 - Atmosfear press opening report!

September 26th, 2011 - Atmosfear POV video posted!

December 23rd, 2011 - Liseberg is preparing to move Gothenburg Wheel into the park

February 23rd, 2012 - Liseberg considering expansion

July 6th, 2012 - Liseberg's 90th anniversary expansion plans announced

October 9th, 2012 - Mack launched coaster announced for 2014

January 8th, 2013 - Final layout for Helix released

August 6th, 2013 - Helix construction update

August 24th, 2013 - Helix construction update

Ocotber 17th, 2013 - Helix goes vertical

November 12th, 2013 - Helix behind-the-scenes tour!

January 31st, 2014 - Mega Helix update!

March 22nd, 2014 - Helix's circuit is complete!

September 26th, 2014 - Teaser video posted for 2015 attraction

October 20th, 2014 - 'Mechanica' Top Scan for 2015 announced!

April 22nd, 2015 - Mechanica opens

February 24th, 2016 - AeroSpin, a Sky Roller to be added in 2016 along with a children's play area with a double decker carousel

September 27th, 2016 - Loke (Intamin Gyro Swing announced for 2017) and Valkyria (B&M Dive Coaster) to replace Kanonen in 2018

November 24th, 2016 - Kanonen to close at the end of the 2017 season

April 27th, 2017 - Loke media day

February 23rd, 2018 - Valkyria Construction Tour

March 9th, 2019 - Underland dark ride for 2020 announced!

March 13th, 2019 - Lisebergbanan gets new trains, station & facade!

November 12th 2020 - Oceana indoor water park announced!

December 21st, 2021 - Luna Park themed land announced!

Original Post:

Two trains collided on Lisebergbanan earlier today. According to a witness one of the trains was on its way up the lifthill when it suddenly rolled-back, hitting a train in the station. No one were seriously hurt, but people were complaining about neck/back pain. They expect most of them to leave the hospital during the day.

Heres the article for those of you who understand swedish http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/s ... 14,00.html

I thought it was impossible for a train to roll back on the lifthill, but I havent been able to see the anti-rollback system on the lifthill on Lisebergbanan, and the lifthill is extremely silent. This is very bad news because Im going to Liseberg in 1 1/2 weeks and I was really looking forward to ride Lisebergbanan again...

• Like 1

No! Not the Banana! This is really sad and I can't believe that happened . I would think that the lift somehow stoped and the train rolled back. I hope no one sues the park for this. I am really sad that this happened and I hope everyone will be ok .

Another article, also in swedish http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,857623,00.html

It says that most of the train hadnt engaged the lifthill and thr anti-rollback device, and because of that the rollback device failed to hold the train. If the entire train was on the lifthill the accident wouldnt have happened because the entire train would have interfered with the anti-rollback device.

That is wrong! The train rolled back from the lifthill. Check out this picture http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2006/07/15/471527.html

Look at their hands after touching the lift hill.

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of rides are breaking down? I think it's just me though because of the Wild Thing at Valleyfair! incident, and the zipper incident at a Minnesota carnival.

If uh, the train didn't engage the roll back, Why don't they put the roll back system towards the front of the train more?

From what I understand the train did engage the roll back. Just that because only the start of the train was on the lift, the weight of the back of the train pulled it off the roll backs.

Okey, I'll try and translate this as good as possible....

Okey, I'll try and translate as good as possible....

Tågolycka på Liseberg

Barn bland de skadade - ett tåg på väg upp i första backen rutschade tillbaka

Train accident at Liseberg

Kids among the injured - a train on its way up in the first hill slipped back/rolled back.

Femton vuxna och sex barn under 15 år skadades vid en krock mellan två berg- och dalbanetåg på Lisebergbanan i dag.

Tågen krockade på plattformen och folk som satt i det stillastående tåget kastades runt vid kollisionen.

Fifteen adults and six kids below 15 years got injured during a smash between two rollercoaster trains at Lisebergbanan today.

The trains smashed on the station and people who sat in the not moving train got thrown around in the collision.

Larmet kom vid 12.10-tiden.

SOS Alarm skickade i ett första skede åtta ambulanser till platsen och på sjukhusen i Göteborg förberedde man sig på att ta emot skadade. Totalt skickades tolv ambulanser till platsen. En minibuss användes också för att transportera bort andra drabbade, som inte var skadade.

The alarm came about 12.10.

SOS Alarm sent eight ambulances to the place and at the hospital in Gothenburg they prepared to recieve injured.

A total of twelve ambulances got sent to the place. A minibus was used too to transport the affected, who weren't injured.

Barn skadade

– De skadade skickas till sjukhusen Sahlgrenska, Östra och Mölndal, uppgav Malin Lutz på Sahlgrenskas presstjänst.

Ingen av de som kom till sjukhusen tycktes vara allvarligt skadade.

Senare på eftermiddagen räknades antalet skadade till femton vuxna och sex barn. De flesta hade rygg- och nackskador och behövde undersökas av läkare. Men troligtvis kan de lämna sjukhusen under kvällen, säger Malin Lutz.

Kids injured

- The injured got sent to the hospitals Sahlgrenska, Östra and Mölndal, said Malin Lutz at Sahlgrenska press

None of those who came to the hospitals seemed to be seriously injured. Later that afternoon the number of injured got counted to fifteen adults and six kids. Most of them seemed to have back- and neck injury and needed to get examined by a doctor. But they cill probably be able to leave the hospitals during the evening, says Malin Lutz.

Teknisk undersökning

– Det var en ganska kraftig kollision, men tågen spårade inte ur, det är omöjligt, säger Lasse Zagai, jourhavande parkchef.

Hur kunde olyckan hända?

– Det är omöjligt att svara på just nu. Vi kommer att stänga av banan för en grundlig teknisk undersökning för att ta reda på ur det kunde gå så här.

Polisen upprättade en samlingsplats vid bergbanan där de skadade och deras anhöriga samlades.

Technic investigation

-It was a pretty strong collision, but the train didn't derail, it's impossible, says LAsse Zagai, the on duty parkchief.

How could the accident occure?

-It's impossible to answer right now. We'll be closing the track for careful technic investigation to find out how this could happen.

Tåget kanade bakåt

Området kring bergbanan stängdes av efter olyckan. En uppgift om att nöjesfältet skulle stänga för dagen visade sig vara felaktig.

– Varför skulle vi stänga hela parken? säger Lasse Zagai.

Däremot släpptes vare sig besökare eller media in i parken omedelbart efter olyckan, enligt TT.

Ett vittne berättar för Göteborgs-Postens nätupplaga att tåget som var på väg upp i första backen plötsligt åkte bakåt:

– Vi var ungefär vid tredje flaggan och plötsligt föll hela tåget handlöst bakåt, tillbaka mot stationen, berättar Niklas Johansson, 15, som åkte i tåget tillsammans med sin flickvän.

De klarade sig utan allvarliga skador.

The train rolled back

The area around Lisebergsbanan got closed after the accident. Information about the theme park closing during the day was påroved to be wrong.

-Why should we close the whole park? says Lasse Zagai.

However, neither quests or media came in to the park after the accident, according to TT

A whitness told Göteborgs-Postens edition of net that the train wich was on its way up suddenly rolled back:

- We were at the third flag when the whole train suddenly fell headlong backwars, back into the station, says NIklas Johansson, 15, who rode in the train together with his girlfriend.

They didn't get any serious injuries.

”Kaotiskt”

Ett vittne berättar för aftonbladet.se att han först fruktade att hans egna barn var ombord i något av olyckstågen.

– Jag fick panik en stund – det var ganska kaotiskt – men efter en stund hittade jag barnen, berättar pappan.

Han berättar också att han såg flera skadade som låg ner och fick smärtstillande och dropp av ambulanspersonalen.

– Vi har beslutat oss för att åka hem. Det känns inte så lockande att fortsätta roa sig efter det som har hänt, säger pappan.

"Chaotic"

A whitness tells aftonbladet.se that he first feared that his own kids were onboard in any of the trains.

- I paniced for a bit - it was pretty chaotic - but after a while I found my kids, the dad says.

He also tells that he saw many who layed down and got pain-relieving and intravenious drip from the ambulance personal.

- We've decided to go home. It doesn't feel that tempting to keep having fun after what happend, says the dad as a few last words.

I'm sorry if you don't understand some parts, I've learned almost all my english from an online game, wich makes my english pretty... Bad... >.<

Good pic find.

Looking at the pic and the inspectors/maintenance guys around the lift, it really looks as if the "teeth" on the rollback channel are not within spec. Essentially, the material is worn out and the channel needs replacement. The rollback dog could have failed also, or a combination of both scenarios created the event. Just an observation from the picture supplied.

Rollback dogs use a heavy-duty spring to "spring back" to its original location (starting point) and if that spring wasn't replaced or is worn out, or lost its tension, it could have easily not engaged into the rollback channel. Another common cause for rollback failure? Someone forgot to put the cotter-key within the rollback dog and the 'key' fell out. It has happened on several rides in the US. But, in some of those cases, the train has already engaged in the lift and the 2nd rollback dog already engaged within the channel. Most of the 'dogs' are located on axles 3 and 7 (desired locations based on train weight and balance of that weight).

Normally, I see roll back dogs where the chain dogs are. Or, if the roll back dogs are further back from where the chain dogs are, then I would usually see the roll back "rail" on the track start further back, so that when the chain dog engages with the lift, the roll back dogs engages with the rail.

As for roll back dogs being spring loaded, this is not true in some cases. Arrow/Vekoma trains don't have spring loaded roll-back dogs. The dogs are large and heavy, so that helps keep them down. Also, PTC's trains don't have spring loaded roll-back dogs as well (Knoebel's Phoenix).

^

Not always the case. In many Arrow chassis/axles they ARE spring loaded. I had to change them quite frequently when working on LNM/BBW/DF...etc. and inspection on other Arrow coasters around the US. Now, around 94 or so, some modifications were made to eliminate the spring-loaded versions, but some are still in operation today (BBW/Nessie/DW-coaster).

Viper (SFMM) had the same spring-type rollback, but they were having issues with them and changing them ALOT, they adopted to the new rollback dog (and assume they still use it today). Depends on the ride and if a park made the retrofit (or chose not too). I believe Arrow put out a TSB on those and it was up the the parks if they chose to do an upgrade. In the case of the ride being discussed on this topic, it supposedly still had a 'spring-loaded' rollback dog(s).

In the comments I had posted earlier, I was referring to the "steel" coaster and not anything about a wooden coaster. I never worked on wooden coasters (maintenance).

Damn looks like i'm going to miss a credit.

For the first time i'll be traveling to Sweden and Norway in the next two weeks and we planned Liseberg on tuesday

Since it should be one of the better coasters around there so poor old me....

Still a bad thing to happen and i'm sorry for those who injured.

It says in today's morning newspaper here that the cause of the accident was that the chain snapped shortly after the train had engaged it. That's probably why they're looking into the channel in the picture above. Since only part of the train was on the lift hill it had not "activated" (their words) enough anti-rollback devices so those that had been "activated" were not strong enough to hold the train and prevent the rollback. According to Liseberg only 1 or 2 anti-rollback devices out of 11 on the train had engaged. Liseberg claims that if the train had made it just a little bit further up the lift hill the rollback would not have occured, and that the accident was "unforseeable". Accordning to Liseberg the entire train had not even left the station before it happened and only the first few cars were on the lift hill, but witnesses claim that the train were higher up the lift, even as far up as "the fifth or sixth flag" (which would mean the entire train was on the lift).

The train struck the train behind it while it was unloading in the station so people were standing up in the train and were "thrown around" when the collision occured. No one was seriously injured though some may have sustained whiplash and similar injuries. Witnesses claim there were smoke as the colliding train pushed the train in the station through the station brakes.

I'm guessing Lisebergbanan will be closed for quite some time now. First there's going to be an official investigation by the swedish equivalent to the NTSB and then I'm guessing they need to rework the anti-rollbacks so they engage earlier.