Liseberg Discussion Thread

Pg 272: Valkyria Construction Tour
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: The Liseberg Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbilly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:51 pm

boy this park looks fantastic, perfect array of rides, one of the best woodies in the world and honestly those additions for 2010 just add to the track record of rides, definitely a place to hit once I get to parks overseas!
Summer park day trips: Hersheypark, Dorney Park, Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags America, Six Flags New England and Lake Compounce
East Coast Trip: Six Flags over Georgia, Carowinds, Busch Gardens Europe & Kings Dominion!
Coaster Count: 201

Books are dumb

Postby Loefet » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:12 am

Thanks to my sister that lives in Gothenburg I have now acquired some images of the wheel at night, and I have to say that it looks great!!

I even think it looks even better after they turn of the flood lights, in the middle of the night.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:23 am

Great photos/update Peter! Is the Spökbaren Gasten an actual bar serving drinks or a walk through type of attraction? Either way it sounds interesting!

Books are dumb

Postby Loefet » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:14 am

^ Thanks!!

Spökbaren is an actual bar that have live actors and is themed in a similar fashion as the Ghost Hotel on top of it. :)

Source: Liseberg press image

Menu and info can be found on the Liseberg home page: http://liseberg.se/sv/hem/Nojesparken/mat--dryck-3/Menyer/Spokbarens-meny1/ [Swedish]

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 pm

^ What a cool idea!

The new Gothenburg wheel looks great. Since I know how much you love wheels, I'm sure you'll be first in line. :p

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby _Joel_ » Sun May 09, 2010 11:43 am

Great update and nice photos Loefet! =)

I'm going to Gothenburg soon to run Gothenburg Half Marathon (Göteborgsvarvet). All runners get free admission to Liseberg, so I think we're going to the park when we are there. That weekend, the new wheel in the harbour will be opened. I hope that we can take a ride in the wheel.

Anyway, no news for 2011 yet?

GP wrote for two weeks ago that Liseberg would present more details about "the new ride" in two weeks. Now these two weeks have passed and there is no press release so far. But it's Monday tomorrow and a new week, I hope for the best!
A friend's friend knew all about "the new ride", but of course she has duty to keep secret. But she said that something big was going on! :b

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun May 09, 2010 11:46 am

My parents will be in Gothenburg on Tuesday...I'm very jealous!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Liseberg 2011

Postby lond » Wed May 26, 2010 7:48 am

From the news today:

Liseberg is going to rebuild the observation tower to a free fall tower :) :) :)

GP news link

The drop is going to fall down all the way to the basement of the building on the mountain.

// Marcus

ADMIN EDIT: Here is the translated and original versions of the story so readers don't have to leave the page to see what the news is.

Starting on Monday begins Liseberg amusement park to build on the 116 meter high tower to a new attraction. The glass dome will be removed and replaced by a ring of free-hanging chairs.

The name of the new ride is Atmosfear and there is an attraction where the brave park visitors will be able to fall freely down towards the ground for about 100 meters. The case takes three seconds and there is room for 36 people at a time.

- There is no equivalent. The free drop-sites are smaller, "says president amusement park Mats Wedin.

The rebuilding is the 50 million kronor, compared with the 100 million it cost the original tower. The premiere of the new attraction is set to 16 April next year.

Here is the original if anyone wants to give a better translation...

Med start på måndag börjar nöjesparken Liseberg att bygga om det 116 meter höga tornet till en ny attraktion. Glaskupolen kommer att plockas bort och ersättas av en ring med fritt hängande stolar.

Namnet på den nya åkturen är Atmosfear och det rör sig om en attraktion där modiga parkbesökare kommer att kunna falla fritt ner mot marken i ungefär 100 meter. Fallet tar tre sekunder och det finns plats för 36 personer åt gången.

- Det finns inget motsvarande. De fritt fall-attraktioner som finns är mindre, säger nöjesparkens vd Mats Wedin.

Ombyggnationen går på 50 miljoner kronor, att jämföra med de 100 miljoner det ursprungliga tornet kostade. Premiären för den nya attraktionen är satt till 16 april nästa år.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed May 26, 2010 8:32 am.
On Quest for the Holy G Force
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageImage

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Olov » Wed May 26, 2010 8:45 am

Well I was kinda expecting that to happen sooner or later since that's what they did at Gröna Lund and the observation tower today isn't a very popular attraction.
The height is pretty comparable to Scream at Heide park which also is a converted observation tower. And it's a good ride too.
http://www.heide-park.de
Edit: can't get the direct address to the ride to work because of some stupid brackets but it's called Scream...

Books are dumb

Postby Loefet » Wed May 26, 2010 9:39 am

Liseberg wrote:Liseberg Tower, with a height of 146 meters above sea level, will be converted into Europe's highest free-fall attraction. The name of the new attraction will AtmosFear.

AtmosFear will be Europe's tallest free-fall, both in terms of vertical drop and the building supporting it. Over the whole world there is really only one attraction that resembles AtmosFear and it is located in Australia.

The ride starts in the basement in the tower complex and from there to the summit takes about 100 seconds. The journey down will go a lot faster - you will be free falling just over three seconds. With speeds of around 110 km/h passenger fall to the ground and the brakes will not start until you reach the basement. During deceleration the riders will be expose of the maximum allowed force, 4 G.

- AtmosFear is nothing for those who are carefully inclined. It will be the most awesome attraction at Liseberg, said Mats Wedin, CEO of Liseberg.

Liseberg Tower, which opened in 1990, after 20 years has made itself as comfortable vantage point. Now, the protective car is removed and replaced with chairs and harnesses. Passengers will sit openly with their legs freely when they fall. The manufacturer of AtmosFear is the well known attraction manufacturers Intamin, which is the company behind rides like Balder, Kållerado and Kanonen at Liseberg.

Since the construction will begin on Monday, will mean that Lisebergstornet closes to the public after the weekend. Until then it will be free to ride for anyone who wants to. All activities in the tower lobby and the 3D movie "Sammy's adventure" will run as usual throughout the season.

AtmosFear will première spring of 2011.

Statistics:
Tower Height: 116 meters
Height above sea level: 146 meters
Ride height: 90 meters
Top Speed: 110 km/h
G-kraft: 4 G's
Brake type: magnetic brakes
Manufacturer: Intamin
Riders/cycle: 36
Ride time: about 2 minutes
Capacity: 600 riders/hour

Links:
Official press release at Newsdesk: Click
Article in GT: Click
Article in GP: Click

More Pictures:
Last edited by Loefet on Wed May 26, 2010 1:59 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!