Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 225: Plans uncovered for 2018 coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby jslim39 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 am

So can anyone fill me in here on the new coaster rumors?

Haven't made it to KW yet this year (first summer EVER), but am going to a Fright Night. Saw my mom post the WTAE article about the Jammer closing, and I read through a few pages here and am seeing little RMC hints and possible coaster plans?

What's the scoop?

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 am

jslim39 wrote:What's the scoop?

Its gonna have the Worlds First "Step Under Waterfall Flip"
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Taylor Finn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:09 am

I know this ride doesn't have the same historic appeal as the Kangaroo, Auto Race, Turtles, or Noah's Ark, but to me, this ride felt integral to that area of the park. I know it frees up a ton of space (especially with the pavilions back there being excessive probably), but this was one of the better flumes around. The uphill portion was unique and the ride really hauled through the course. I really don't enjoy Plunge rides, and Rapids often just get me too wet. The Log Jammer consistently drew a long line. I recognize that maintaining such a ride becomes expensive with time.

It is a weird thing to say, but I really don't want another coaster. I thought Sky Rocket was perfect for the park (just like Impulse at Knoebels, really), but a big RMC is going to really shoot attendance up and take the attention away from the wooden coasters that make this park what it is. I mean, it is weird to think they haven't put a wooden coaster into the park in SUCH a long time, but maybe that is for good reason. I recognize I am probably misguided in feeling this way, but I like Kennywood for what it is right now. The additions of the last decade have all felt appropriate and they haven't had to remove much of anything (Pitfall was disposable).

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 am

coasterbill wrote:I wish parks would remove their sh*tty splash boat and rapids rides instead that nobody rides if it's under 80 degrees.

:nina: I agree with this completely! I MUCH prefer Log Flumes to those water rides!
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 am

I knew Kennywood had a flume, which is always a plus. I just looked at a POV for the first time and it looked awesome. It makes me look very slightly less forward to our trip next year.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Samuel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:38 pm

I love Log Jammer and flumes in general, and I'm sad to hear that it's leaving, but it's not a big secret that something really good is coming down the road. And yes, Log Jammer really has been the perfect size and fit for Kennywood; it's an awesome flume. While I enjoyed White Water Landing at Cedar Point, I think the trade for Maverick was worth it. If the area is developed tastefully and allows Kennywood to add another major terrain coaster, then we're suddenly talking about one of the best pound-for-pound lineups in the country.

Nothing but <3 for Log Jammer, but I'm excited about the next couple of years.
Last edited by Samuel on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 pm.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:55 pm

The comments on their FB announcement are basically nothing but butthurt. I think its kind of a bummer that another flume is going, but if its for an RMC then bring it!
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Samuel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Taylor Finn wrote:It is a weird thing to say, but I really don't want another coaster. I thought Sky Rocket was perfect for the park (just like Impulse at Knoebels, really), but a big RMC is going to really shoot attendance up and take the attention away from the wooden coasters that make this park what it is. I mean, it is weird to think they haven't put a wooden coaster into the park in SUCH a long time, but maybe that is for good reason. I recognize I am probably misguided in feeling this way, but I like Kennywood for what it is right now. The additions of the last decade have all felt appropriate and they haven't had to remove much of anything (Pitfall was disposable).

Remember, while Kennywood hasn't used the moniker in years, it's the original "Coaster Capital of the World." I love Log Jammer, and Kennywood does have a nice, well-rounded collection, but if the park can add a totally original terrain coaster down the road, that is Kennywood's DNA, and that is respecting the park's legacy.

Converting the Pippin into Thunderbolt took guts. Taking out the Laser Loop to build the world's biggest, fastest coaster took guts. Kennywood has had to play sensibly for various constraining reasons (amusement tax, land availability, waiting endlessly for the expressway to be built, etc.), but it's a park that has adapted many times over, outlived West View and White Swan, been a Western PA treasure, and isn't afraid to make bold moves when it can.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 pm

boldikus wrote:
jslim39 wrote:What's the scoop?

Its gonna have the Worlds First "Step Under Waterfall Flip"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I laughed way to hard at this.
Bigger is not always better.

Postby prozach626 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:17 pm

boldikus wrote:The comments on their FB announcement are basically nothing but butthurt. I think its kind of a bummer that another flume is going, but if its for an RMC then bring it!

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a classic flume over a new RMC. The older I get the more I can appreciate a relaxing flume ride as a change of pace from riding a ton of coasters, no matter how good they may be.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!