Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 298: "The Steel Curtain" coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 am

Project 412 Revealed: Kennywood and Pittsburgh Steelers’ Record- Breaking Collaboration

Kennywood Park will open a fan-centric Steelers-themed area in 2019, highlighted by a high thrill steel coaster

WEST MIFFLIN, PA – In Southwestern Pennsylvania, Kennywood Day is as eagerly anticipated as a Steelers game, while Pittsburgh’s gridiron greats regularly send their fans on emotional roller coasters. Now these two iconic brands will come together for a collaboration that’s unprecedented in both the sports and amusement worlds. Kennywood will welcome the Steelers franchise to the family by bringing the game day experience that is a staple to countless fans in Pittsburgh and beyond to life in the park.

Coming to Kennywood in 2019, Steelers Country is an immersive land that celebrates the hard-hitting heroics of the players, but with a unique twist. The park experience turns its attention to the fans, putting them at the center of the action. Exclusive merchandise, skill games and food locations--including a themed tailgating experience--continue the feeling of being at the stadium. The new Steelers Country will be anchored by the record-breaking roller coaster, Steel Curtain.
“Being the first park to collaborate with a professional sports franchise on not only a themed area, but also a pulse-pounding, high-flying roller coaster is a great honor that fits in with Kennywood’s longstanding tradition of innovation,” said Kennywood General Manager Jerome Gibas. “For that franchise to be our hometown Steelers, the most successful team in America’s most popular sport, it’s a sure touchdown!”

Throughout Steelers Country, fans will join in on familiar game moments: bursting through the area’s entry tunnel, seeing how they measure up in practice drills, perfecting their touchdown dances, and checking scores and highlights on Steelers Country’s giant video screen. With Steelers Country, Kennywood and the Pittsburgh Steelers are honoring the greatness of the past, and looking towards the future of the park, the team, the fans, and the city of Pittsburgh.
“We are very excited about the partnership with Kennywood,” said Steelers Vice President of Sales and Marketing Ryan Huzjak. “Being able to connect the Pittsburgh Steelers with a family attraction like Kennywood is a natural fit for both organizations, and we are thrilled about the tradition and longstanding history the Steelers and Kennywood provide to families in and around the city of Pittsburgh.

The towering Steel Curtain roller coaster will rule Kennywood’s skyline. With a record-breaking 9 inversions, 197 foot-tall loop, and 220-foot maximum height, Steel Curtain is an adrenaline rush like no other, speeding across 4,000 feet of track at 75 miles per hour. Designed by S&S Worldwide, Steel Curtain will break a Pennsylvania record (tallest roller coaster), a North American record (most inversions), and a world record (tallest inversion). The colossal steel structure of the coaster will serve as a landmark addition to the park and a high-energy entry point welcoming guests to Steelers Country.

https://twitter.com/Kenny_Kangaroo/status/1019982605343707138

The new Steelers Country section of Kennywood will take up 3 acres of land with a plaza, water features and the End Zone cafe.

Die0xGGWAAAZ3dM.jpg

Die0xGVW4AANeJN.jpg

Die0xGIWAAAYvwn.jpg

Die0xGJW0AAvfCW.jpg

https://twitter.com/Kenny_Kangaroo/status/1019983149529468928

Get the full @steelers experience with games including the 40 yard dash, where you can compare your progress and performance against player times.

Die1Ql_WAAAMTOs.jpg

Die1Ql_X4AA5sGp.jpg

Die1QmMW0AAmkLk.jpg

https://twitter.com/Kenny_Kangaroo/status/1019983741488451585

If you were wondering, the #SteelCurtain will have an opening kickoff from the @steelers

Die4jQqX0AEE_VI.jpg

https://twitter.com/Kenny_Kangaroo/status/1019986763262111744

We’ve officially broken ground on #Project412, the #SteelCurtain!

Steel Curtain first drop.jpg

Steel Curtain full coaster 2.jpg
Steel Curtain full coaster.jpg
Steel Curtain ground view.jpg
Die1zf3XUAAi-_3.jpg
Steel Curtain lagoon view.jpg
Steel Curtain lift hill.jpg
Steel Curtain on-ride.jpg
Steel Curtain over midway inversion.jpg
Steel Curtain station.jpg
Steel Curtain structure.jpg
Steel Curtain top height view.jpg
Steel Curtain wide view 2.jpg
Steel Curtain wide view.jpg
Steel Curtain.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby PVA62 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:28 am

Wow, not what I expected to see from them but I'm really excited for my former home park! Looks great, and of course, Go Steelers!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:33 am

Oh my god, I don't even know what to think right now. On one hand, the ride looks awesome... on the other hand I feel like I have to hate it because it's a Pittsburgh Steelers ride. :lol:

Postby Vonni » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 am

I am not a sports fan. Does Steel Curtain mean something....sporty?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:35 am

coasterbill wrote:on the other hand I feel like I have to hate it because it's a Pittsburgh Steelers ride. :lol:

See, this is why I'm glad I"m not a "sports person." I'll be happy to ride it not even quite knowing what sport the Pittsburgh Steelers play! :lol:
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 am.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Rill'o'beily » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:35 am

I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of coaster it is from those pictures but looking forward to a 2022 opening after delays, track misalignments and two full retracks
Last edited by Rill'o'beily on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 am

Vonni wrote:I am not a sports fan. Does Steel Curtain mean something....sporty?

Yeah, It was used to describe the Steeler's defensive line in the 70's because it was one of the best defensive lines of all time.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 am

It's so weird and ugly I love it? It looks like Drachen Fire re-born and even more crazy and messed up. Good work, Kennywood.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 am

God this looks weird, I like it!

Also, I know this is really enthusiasty and I hate myself for saying it, and I don't wanna start the complaint train, but doesn't look like it'll have a lot of potential for airtime. Very inversion heavy. That said, it still looks weird and random AF and I like that.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 am

This is awesome, despite my intense dislike for the Steelers. Kennywood is an awesome place, glad there is a new headliner to get me to visit again sooner than later.
Total Coasters: 139

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!