Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1242: Holiday World Announced June 14 Opening!
Users viewing this topic: Google Adsense [Bot] and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:50 am

While I was at guest relations Saturday, I witnessed a family of like 4 or 5 walk right through the middle of a line of people without saying excuse me or anything. Some girl in the line said something to them and told them they’re supposed to be social distancing and the mom of the group turned around and told the girl who said something to “shut the hell up about that nonsense”.

On another note, if you do go on a Saturday, get there early before opening. It’s not a free for all at the front gate and security anymore. They only let one group at a time at each metal detector and admissions gate. So it take a while to fish through all of that. The line to get in was over an hour long at noon on Saturday.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby tndank » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:01 pm

ZeroGravity55 wrote: The line to get in was over an hour long at noon on Saturday.

Should have put that on InLine and hand out wristbands as you pull into the lots.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:18 pm

While I'd like to visit for the first time since ~2014 I just don't think I would feel comfortable or have that great of an experience. Maybe another year, Holiday World!
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Was at the park today, again. For the park, I’m really glad to see attendance up. They’re really getting good at operating with the procedures they have in place. Security checks and admissions moves much faster today. Waterpark is fully operational outside of Kima Bay. Staffing is still an issue. Not all Food Stands are open. Raven and Legend only running with one train and two person crews. My gut feeling is there won’t be two train operation on either ride all year.

Really took advantage of inline reservation today. Grabbed some fudge and sat in air conditioning while waiting for The Legend. Checked in line for The Voyage right after I scanned for Legend and basically waited in two lines at once, since the actual queue of Legend was moving slow with one train. When I got off Legend, my 25 min wait for Voyage was over and with 2 trains there, I walked right on to the ride. Also grabbed a quick lunch while waiting 40 mins for Thunderbird.

Last time I was there, I had a hotel in Jasper. I left around 3 to go check in. We left to come back to the park at 7 and there was an hour wait for Thunderbird and I reserved a spot as we left. Drove 30 mins back to the park and by the time we got there and walked back to Thunderbird, it was time to ride. Also checked right into Voyage as we checked in for Thunderbird that night as that line was an hour long too. I was able to secure a night ride while also grabbing some dippin dots and sitting at a bench waiting for 30 mins.

I’m really starting to see why a lot of people in the industry thing virtual queuing is the future. It’s a much more productive way of managing your time and securing the rides you want to ride. If only the majority of the gp were more accepting of new technology..
Last edited by ZeroGravity55 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:56 pm.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Dan the Coaster Man » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 pm

ZeroGravity55 wrote:I’m really starting to see why a lot of people in the industry thing virtual queuing is the future. It’s a much more productive way of managing your time and securing the rides you want to ride. If only the majority of the go were more accepting of new technology..

I have not been to a park with a full on/majority virtual queuing system. Just the occasional fast pass at Disney... I really hope it is the future though. Glad it's at HW. Six Flags sent out a survey about it a few weeks ago, I really hope they look into it beyond the survey

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby tndank » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Screenshots from six flags apps this week suggest virtual flash passes and skip the line passes are coming. Seems they have a virtual queue system ready to go sometime soon.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby JG-77 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Any idea how crowded the waterpark was? I'm going to HW in a little over a week, and would like to check out the waterpark, but I'm worried about social distancing (or lack of it).
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Waterpark was less crowded yesterday. Longest wait was 30 mins for Cheetah Chase. Mammoth and Wildebeest were both 15 mins. There’s enough room in the lines to social distance as long as other people are trying to do so as well. I found that if you make it known you’re trying to social distance, people tend to respect that and give you your space for the most part. There was enough room in the wave pool and lazy river to social distance. My group floated in the lazy river with 2 extra rafts to help distance are selfs from other people when we felt like we were getting too close. We made sure there were enough rafts floating around before we did that. If there hadn’t been, we wouldn’t have gotten in.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby kweiss » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 pm

ZeroGravity55 wrote:Waterpark was less crowded yesterday. Longest wait was 30 mins for Cheetah Chase. Mammoth and Wildebeest were both 15 mins. There’s enough room in the lines to social distance as long as other people are trying to do so as well. I found that if you make it known you’re trying to social distance, people tend to respect that and give you your space for the most part. There was enough room in the wave pool and lazy river to social distance. My group floated in the lazy river with 2 extra rafts to help distance are selfs from other people when we felt like we were getting too close. We made sure there were enough rafts floating around before we did that. If there hadn’t been, we wouldn’t have gotten in.
Very interesting reports. How is distancing on the rides themselves? Or are they filling each row and seat as usual?
Coaster Count: 75
Park Count: 12

#1: El Toro | #2 Boulder Dash | #3 New Texas Giant | #4 Millennium Force | #5 Top Thrill Dragster | #6 Intimidator 305 | #7 Fury 325 | 8) Bizarro (SFNE) | #9 Maverick | #10 Nitro

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 pm

They board by the group. There are no single riders or boarding 2 separate groups in the same raft. In the dry park, your seated by the group on the coasters and then they separate the groups by a row. Thunderbird is the only ride running at full capacity because each row is at least 6 feet apart. The only thing different they do would be not allowing single riders to ride together in the same row. They also assign seats at each coaster. Boarding by groups is how they do it on all their attractions and then they socially distance you from the other groups. Honestly I like their way how they’re running ride operations better than most parks are doing it. The only down fall is it’s causing them to allocate staff in places they wouldn’t normally do it. I personally think it would be better for them to block off rows on Raven and Legend so they can pull the person assigning rows up to check restraints and be able to run 2 trains and decrease the wait for those rides.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!