TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I made my first visit this year myself and I found it to be a very nice little park. Yes the rides were lacking somewhat, but my girlfriend and I were kept busy most of the day by going to Splashin' Safari and testing whether the front or back was better for all the coasters. First time I'd been on Flyers as well so that was fun. Great park, great atmosphere, they really deserve this one.

Now all they need is Expedition Ge Force...I think One Million in attendance means it's time for a nice family Intamin Hyper!

Congrats!

Hmmm, my thoughts exactly. I remember Will Koch saying something along the lines of the park liking wood coasters because they cater to the family the most...but hey, steel coasters can do that too! Unfortunately, now that they have the Voyage, it seems out and back coasters as well as twisters are covered at the park. It woud be interesting to see what they come up with if they do get a steel coaster in the future. A few inversions wouldn't hurt either!

You know one of the things I like the most about Holiday World...Whenever then win something or have a press release referring to something positive at the park, they always thank their employees in them. That's one thing I think other parks should do.

Congratulations HW!

I have to say I was very impressed with their staff. The first part of our visit there was awful, everything kept going wrong and all the coasters broke down. We were very disappointed since HW was the highlight of our trip. While we were talking about it in line a staff member over heard our conversation and came up to us to apologize and explain that this wasn't a usual thing for them, it was just a very off day. Her apology was very sincere, not just a "oh we're sorry for the inconvenience". I was so impressed that she had done that and just that alone made our day so much better.

We're definately going back next year and will hopefully have a much better experience.

they said the voyage made the attendance go up i agree. now Shapiro thinks families dont ride coasters. thats bull crap

You have to remember, a family park (already established for families) building a big coaster attracts more thrillseekers, whereas SFMM already has coasters, so they need more family rides...

-James Dillaman

“So much of the credit goes to the incredible service and hospitality provided by our outstanding Hosts and Hostesses,” Koch says. “It doesn’t matter how great your rides are if the employees are rude and the bathrooms are filthy. We are very appreciative of our hard-working staff.”

I wanna work for this guy.

Surely, this sort of attitude contributes towards the employees being motivated and caring about thier guests.

Voyage, i'm comin for you in 07!

• 5 months later...

This just in from Holiday World:

SANTA CLAUS, IN-----One of the nation’s leading consumer magazines names Holiday World & Splashin' Safari the country’s “Top Value Park” in its current issue.

Consumers Digest’s March/April edition features an article titled “America’s Top Amusement Parks.” The six-page report names the Top Value Parks in North America, with Holiday World in the #1 spot. The article praises the park’s “enchanting holidays theme, an attraction-packed water park and some of the country’s best wooden coasters,” plus the park’s ground-breaking free soft drinks program, free sunscreen, free parking, and no extra charge for Splashin' Safari admission.

“This designation validates all these crazy programs we’ve launched over the year,” says Holiday World & Splashin' Safari’s president, Will Koch. “Other parks told us we were insane to give away soft drinks, but we’ve felt all along it was the right thing to do for our Guests.”

The Consumers Digest report also includes a prediction that The Voyage, Holiday World’s record-breaking wooden coaster that opened in 2006, is “destined to become a classic.” The Voyage was named one of the Top Five “Can’t Miss Attractions” in North America.

Holiday World opens for the season on May 5, with the premiere of Turkey Whirl, a themed tilt-a-whirl ride; Splashin' Safari opens for the season on May 12 with the new Bakuli family water slide. For additional information logon to: http://www.holidayworld.com/ or call 1-877-Go-Family.

This just in from Holiday World:

SANTA CLAUS, IN-----One of the nation’s leading consumer magazines names Holiday World & Splashin' Safari the country’s “Top Value Park” in its current issue.

Consumers Digest’s March/April edition features an article titled “America’s Top Amusement Parks.” The six-page report names the Top Value Parks in North America, with Holiday World in the #1 spot. The article praises the park’s “enchanting holidays theme, an attraction-packed water park and some of the country’s best wooden coasters,” plus the park’s ground-breaking free soft drinks program, free sunscreen, free parking, and no extra charge for Splashin' Safari admission.

“This designation validates all these crazy programs we’ve launched over the year,” says Holiday World & Splashin' Safari’s president, Will Koch. “Other parks told us we were insane to give away soft drinks, but we’ve felt all along it was the right thing to do for our Guests.”

The Consumers Digest report also includes a prediction that The Voyage, Holiday World’s record-breaking wooden coaster that opened in 2006, is “destined to become a classic.” The Voyage was named one of the Top Five “Can’t Miss Attractions” in North America.

Holiday World opens for the season on May 5, with the premiere of Turkey Whirl, a themed tilt-a-whirl ride; Splashin' Safari opens for the season on May 12 with the new Bakuli family water slide. For additional information logon to: http://www.holidayworld.com/ or call 1-877-Go-Family.

I agree that Holiday World is an excellent value. I think that they, more than any park I've been to, go out of their way to NOT rip you off. I wind up spending more money there than at some other parks, because their reasonable prices don't make me cringe when I pull out my wallet.

Considering their remote location, however, I think that being a great deal is an absolute necessity for them. They can't get by on being the default park near a big city, like so many seasonal parks do.

Didn't they raise gate prices accordingly the year they added the "free soda"? I've heard that, but wasn't around back then to confirm. I also think they should switch to Coke products.

I went to HW 4 times last year, Last time I had free tickets. With food and Gas, total cost was probalby 20 dollars. I do buy more "stuff" when I am there because it affordable. I am buying two season passes this year, one for Hw and one for SF: STL. I plan on going ot HW once a month, maybe more if I have time. I am going to try to get every attraction this year that I can, except the spinning rides (scrambler and the round house thingy, they look like they would make me sick). I got to get the rapids ride this year.

Rides I haven't gotten:

Scrambler (won't)

Super Round up (won't)

Rapids

all the water slides (except jungle racer, lazy rivers, and wave pools)

The howler (what kind of tpr poster am i for not getting it)

Won't get:

kiddie rides.

I was just telling two coworkers today about Holiday World. I told them it is the nicest, cleanest park north of the Mouse. It was because of TPR that I gained renewed interest in visiting them two years ago (as a little girl I always wanted to go there... back in the days when it was "Santa Claus Land") and with one day's visit I knew that it would become an annual summer destination.

We are already planning two trips there this summer. First for Samantha's birthday in June and again in August when the TPR gang is going.

Shari "Congrats to the Koch Family" Shoufler

• 3 months later...