Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1242: Holiday World Announced June 14 Opening!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 am

It's not just Legend's jack hammering that makes me hate it. The laterals are brutal, too. The first couple of trips I took Raven was pretty smooth and really fun without being too intense. On my last two trips it wasn't crazy rough, but too uncomfortable to enjoy.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:08 am

PKI Jizzman wrote: I'm sure the locals aren't happy about it being closed since that's one of 5 major attractions closed for the rest of the year on top of the water park now being closed.

Yes and no. For me it's a yes. I had a trip planned for the 26th of October centered around getting night rides on The Voyage. Now I'm planning on going to Kings Island. The GP locals probably aren't that concerned about it. Having been to HW's Halloween event, it's really a glorified pumpkin patch to me. The GP eats that crap up. Last year, The Raven lot was full and half of The Legend lot was full. That corn maze and kids activity stuff they put together sucked the capacity right out of the rides. The longest wait was in the morning for Raven right at opening and that was 25 mins. Everything else was 10 or less. Since it was only families mostly, they all left before sundown and every coaster was a walk-on from 6-8 pm.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:43 am

I only had one ride on Raven and Legend but you would have had to pay me to ride either of them again.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby southpuddle » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 am

Which is a shame, because a decade ago, Legend and Raven were both smooth and re-rideable. Voyage was so-so. Maintaining 12,000+ feet of wooden coaster track is no easy task. I really wish something besides pouring money into standard wooden coaster maintenance would be done to Voyage that would allow the park to have three good woodies rather than three one-and-done woodies (in a lot of people’s opinions).

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby grsupercity » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 am

When we visited I thought Legend and raven were fine. Voyage on the other hand was the roughest coaster I have ever experienced. I am hoping to check this park out again. It was a dark thunderstorm day we went and we were underwhelmed. We went the day after Kentucky Kingdom which was a beautiful sunny day. Holiday World had a short dark gloomy day. I love gravity group and really need to give Voyage a second chance
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby mark549 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 pm

Voyage is probably my favorite conventional wood track coaster. (El Toro has better airtime but the plug and play track is different ...). I also like the setting in the forest and the topography. I've only ridden it in the springtime on wet days and it wasn't rough then.

If RMC was brought in perhaps they could install topper track on some hard-to-maintain sections. It doesn't seem to need a full I Box redesign and I doubt the park would do that (sentimental and budgetary reasons).

Tremors at Silverwood has two topper track sections that are impossible to notice during the ride unless you're watching closely from the front seat. A relatively cheap fix, I presume. Spendy up front but not much maintenance once installed? And much cheaper than full RMCing a wood coaster.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Coastard69 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:21 pm

coasterbill wrote:I only had one ride on Raven and Legend but you would have had to pay me to ride either of them again.

Raven can't be that bad now. Sure it's been over 10 years since I last rode it, but it was one of the best coasters I've been on. Unless it got Villain/Mean Streak/Boss/Ghostrider/Cyclone rough I don't see how it could possibly be that bad.
Your Favorite Coaster Sucks
Available on Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud and Apple Podcasts
440 Coasters - a few of them are good

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:47 am

Other than Boss and Cyclone depending on which one you're referring to I've been on all of those and found them all to be smoother and better than Raven (though I did ride Villain in it's early years).

I'm honestly struggling to think of wood coasters that I like less than Raven. Mighty Canadian Minebuster, Blue Streak at Conneaut.... maybe a few others but I'm drawing a blank, I don't even know. It was pure crap when we rode it a few years ago.
Last edited by coasterbill on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:49 am.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:00 pm

Coastard69 wrote:
coasterbill wrote:I only had one ride on Raven and Legend but you would have had to pay me to ride either of them again.

Raven can't be that bad now. Sure it's been over 10 years since I last rode it, but it was one of the best coasters I've been on.

This is a hilarious reply coming from someone behind a site called 'Your Favorite Coaster Sucks' :lol:
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:31 pm

^ OMG, that is a real site. And a podcast! :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!