Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 982 - Park reopening 6/29
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby ernierocker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Yeah, looks like they have come to their senses and are "gracefully" bowing out. Like Robb said, glad they are doing this now rather than after string the project along any further.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:28 pm

I thought something was strange when I tried to talk to Pat Koch about the project at Holiwood nights as she gracefully side stepped any reference to it.

Just goes to show that anytime a board or government body is involved things can turn south quick.

And it is very true, we all know this, that without proper maintenance and upkeep any property be it a mall or amusement park that is unoccupied, the facility will deteriorate to the point of no return. So shame on the fairboard for not doing more to protect the tax payer's property, only they are to blame for the parks condition.

Edit: Did you guys watch the news footage of the park posted here? Reminds me of SFNO. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree with Robb, stick a fork in it, it's done.
Last edited by chadster on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 pm.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby sobrider » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Midgetman82 wrote:...

Speechless... Absolutely... and utterly... speechless...

I'm not sad or mad, nor am I shocked. I just can't believe how hard it seems to reopen a park that a large company abandoned after plucking a few of it's good feathers, and I can't believe how the two groups who tried to save it blame it's condition and the state of Kentucky for making it too difficult.

I give up on this park.

Edit: Even Six Flags commented that leasing the park was something they didn't like, especially when they were near bankruptcy.

The problem is after you took what was good. They didn't close up properly. They just took the rides and left. Nature moves quick when its not maintained. Plus even when it was open Six Flags didn't always give it TLC.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Sometimes it's best to just cut your losses. The Kochs have been very successful with Holiday World--why take on a risky endeavor like the old Kentucky Kingdom park?

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Not surprised at all. This place is officially done. I think there are too many layers of government involved to make this a project worth taking on for any company.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm

cfc wrote:Sometimes it's best to just cut your losses. The Kochs have been very successful with Holiday World--why take on a risky endeavor like the old Kentucky Kingdom park?

That's what I've been thinking all along. It seemed like a...strange...move in the first place.

I can't help but feeling the fair board should've just stuck with Hart and let him do what he could from the get-go. Now he's not coming back, Holiday World has no reason to care, and surely no one else is interested. Bad moves on everyone's parts. (Except for the Koch's---I'm guessing this whole deal hasn't/won't hurt them in any way?)

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 pm

It's sad to see something like this unfold, but we have to give it to the Kochs for at least making an attempt. Maybe they would be better off just buying some land (perhaps just outside of Louisville) and opening up a smaller park.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby slappybob » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm

This was a smart move for them it was going to end up as a big flop anyway....

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:45 pm

slappybob wrote:This was a smart move for them it was going to end up as a big flop anyway....

Sadly this park was too far gone to save.

I'm not sure but the Kochs may have only taken interest in reviving the park when Hart's bid failed because had he succeeded a revitalized KK might've brought more competition for HW,even if it was very small at best.Still you can't fault them for trying so passionately.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Meteornotes wrote:Not surprised at all. This place is officially done. I think there are too many layers of government involved to make this a project worth taking on for any company.

dt

QFT!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!