Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:04 pm

I find the Cedar Fair apps are great at telling you if a ride is open/closed, but wait times are pretty slow to update. Personally I think Fury is the de facto way to end a night at Carowinds but Copperhead is great too.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby yawetag » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:48 am

We'll (kids and I) will probably be there around 4 or 5pm. Expecting light lines for everything until they close at 8.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby qwimjim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Was planning on visiting carowinds Saturday morning, it’s the only time I can visit, forecast looks pretty terrible.. will the park open? Does fury or copperhead run in the rain? I feel I might be getting a bust on this one, unfortunately my window Saturday only

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Had to duck out early so I can deal with Charlotte airport and get to Cleveland tonight, but honestly by 3 I had done everything I really wanted. Park was indeed quite empty. The operations for CS and Fury were running great, and thank goodness because honestly everything else was slow, often to the point of dreadful. Afterburn had a small wait but was running 1 train, Intimidator running 2 but ouch, it was perpetually stacked and bad. Like sitting on the breaks for 2 mins usually. Most were slow, deff rough for a slow day, waits were a good bit longer than they could've been but oh well.

Also nearly every flat wasn't running, I saw 2 or 3, was kind of surprising.

Anyway was a good day indeed. That top 4 is quite a lineup. Outside that, I wont lie nothing was really standout. I didn't expect anything from Nighthawk, though it seemed even rougher/worse than Firehawk? I also didnt expect much from Carolina Cyclone and it was what a I expected. Given how small/slower/less intense layout it is Vortex was pretty painful.
Hurler was closed all day, though I probably lucked out on that one!

As for the big four: All good, will try to rank em.
Copperhead Strike. Was fun. Deff a middle ground between Cheetah Hunt and Maverick. The hang time was pretty great and the 2 strong airtime moments were great, 1 or 2 very whippy moments. Was a good blend of intense moments in a fairly moderate ride.

Afterburn. Always heard this as one of the (perhaps last) forceful B&M inverted classics, and did not disappoint! It was exactly that, fun and forceful.

Intimidator. This was a surprise. I wasnt expecting too much but at least in the back, there was quite a lot of pull. Not just on the hills but that first weird turn and the unique turnaround. Honestly, super fun and more air time than I expected.

Fury. Well, what to say? That is epic. The speed on that thing is vicious esp when it fully warmed up. In the back there was some surprising whipy-ness on some of those turns and some crazy pull. In the 2nd to 3rd fast turn section it was hauling so much ass. POVs did not do it justice. I was caught off guard how whippy it was then you fell it pick up MORE speed and just haul it. From the start of that to near the top of the helix I barely had my eyes open from the wind! I will ride MForce tomm and give it a day to really digest but that is likely gunna top it my book, what a ride. Also reminded me that when its done well (strong and sustained) floater air really can be great. There's something about how comfy it feels but still being butt off seat for like 2-3 seconds. Deff top 5 ride.

EDIT: And yes, I dont think the wait for Fury ever topped 15 mins. I rode it for 2 hours straight and prob got 10.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:18 am

I'm glad you liked Fury. When you watch it from the entrance it doesn't seem real, with how fast it's going. I couldn't get over that.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:35 am

Yeah Fury feels so different from the other B&M hypers out there and it catches you off guard.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Nice report. I have very similar opinions based on my visit in 2017. I can't wait to be back later this month to ride Copperhead as well as the 3 big B&Ms too.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:00 pm

For the regulars, we are going on a Sunday in two weeks. Should we go straight to Copperhead strike or have lines for it not been long?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:34 pm

We are going to the park this Sunday. We have early admission for Copperhead at 9;30am. We have been to a lot of parks and have found that going early on Sunday is a great time to go as the crowds are in church. Does this still hold true for Carowinds ? Counting on it, but for the rest of the day, would a fast pass be needed ?

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby yawetag » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

If Copperhead Strike is open when you get there, go ride it. There are times it will go down during the day, so you don't want to miss your opportunity. Most of the time, it's only down for 15 minutes or so, but can be longer.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!