Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 261 - Carowinds getting a Giga Coaster???
Users viewing this topic: CPmaverick, Homeboy23, redsd2121, stepheno130 and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby The Westate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:11 am

Obviously this means they are building a giga next year! :lol:

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby arby » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:48 am

They are definitely getting ready to start something near the front of the park. Reports I'm hearing are that there are lots of utility markings around the front plaza and the front gate. I also hear that they continue on to the entrance of Planet Snoopy. I'm not big into speculation so for all we know, it could be nothing more than a new restroom. I will try to make it back over there soon and map out the area where the markings are to get an idea of the scope of the area they're planning future work.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby PalmTree55 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:07 am

Maybe another version of Cedar Point's Gatekeeper. Not neccesarily a B&M Wing Coaster, but something that redefines the front gate/plaza area.

Postby arby » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:27 pm

It appears there is something big going on at Carowinds. I've heard reports of utility markings and survey stakes being spotted so I stopped by this morning to get an idea of the scope of the project. The yellow and the green dotted lines are marking the potential boundaries of the project since I saw utilites marked throughout those areas (I added the green line after I realized the blue flags I saw in the lower right were water lines). All the orange dots are survey stakes. Additionally I found two trees and one power pole marked with blue and pink tape which I marked in purple and connected them with a purple dotted line. At first I thought maybe they couldn't figure it if was going to be a boy or girl. :b The numbers on the map correspond to the pictures after the edited Google map.

googlemaps3.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

1.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

2.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

3.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

3a.jpg
close up of bottom of tree of #3 above
Viewed 3204 times

4.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

5.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

6.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

7.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

8.jpg
Viewed 3204 times

psyche.jpg
Lookie! A footer! Psyche, it just looks like some irrigation work behind drop tower. ;)
Viewed 3204 times

zombieHS.jpg
On a side note, it looks like the new Scarowinds haunt maze will be Zombie High School. I wish I could have gotten a better picture but it was difficult balancing my good camera with a telephoto lens and the umbrella since it was raining.
Viewed 3204 times

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:08 pm

^Thanks for the detective work and photographic proof. Personally I don't closely follow until official announcements are made but a lot of TPR does love the speculation aspect.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby arby » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:43 pm

You're welcome. Since this is my home park, I'm keeping a close eye on the project and will continue to provide updates as anything real develops. I'm not into a lot of the speculation, either, so my updates usually just include the facts that I see and not the rumors that I hear. I do like watching progress, especially on bigger projects like this.

With that being said, I did talk to some people while I was investigating but I'll keep that to myself since they are strictly rumors. One pertinent bit of information came from an outside engineer who was working in the bus parking lot. He was there because it was raining and he was looking into how the water was draining on the property. He also said that the blueprints he was carrying would be of no interest to me. ;)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:05 pm

^ I remember seeing similar markings like this on the Frontier Trail at CP last year and thinking that something was going into that area in 2013. They ended up building Gatekeeper at the front of the park instead so my guess is that this may not be for a new attraction...but you never know.

Keep us posted if you start seeing footers getting poured! ;)

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:22 pm

I wonder if they planning a resort hotel?

Also, I'm going to Carowind's August 17th for my 400th Coaster. Anyone wanna join me in the celebration?

Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013

Postby arby » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:07 am

^Yes, a resort hotel is still rumored to be in their master plan to come in the next 2-3 years.

I'd love to join you in your celebration of #400. Unfortunately I have out of town family visiting then so I probably can't make it. I'll let you know if that changes.

BTW, I usually don't go to Carowinds on Saturdays this time of year because of the crowds - you'll probably want to invest in a fast lane pass. When we went last Sunday after lunch, there was almost nobody in the queue and it was about a 10 minute wait because they were only running 2 trains. Yesterday, the queue was full and spilling out into the plaza.

IMG_5084_edit.jpg
Viewed 2929 times

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:35 am

Interesting development, the scope of the project seems to be pretty large. If it is a hotel I wonder if they will include an indoor water park section? I've always wondered why more regional parks weren't I interested in building on site hotels with waterparks, it seems like an indoor option that is open year round would be a real draw in some of these major metropolitan areas (and yes i do realize there are Great Wolf lodges in some of these cities). I would think the parks could add some interesting season pass options for the facility as well.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!