Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Postby Brassinthegrass » Fri May 09, 2014 3:19 pm

I'll be there next Saturday! let us know how tomorrow goes, the iffy weather will definitely benefit your experience! Enjoy those (hopefully) shorter lines!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Good to hear about Pink's...and the campground. I would love to return back to this park one day in hopes of getting a night ride on Balder Dash.

Can't say I remember anything about their food so it must have not have been all that good. I do however, remember the free soda that the thousands of yellow jackets just LOVED! :lol:

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Photo tr opening day

Postby Devins3 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:15 pm

The only photo that I need to post to tell you how opening day is this one. This picture was taken at 1 pm :b
image.jpg

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Brassinthegrass » Sat May 10, 2014 1:41 pm

This is getting me so excited for my first visit to the park next week!!!!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Rai Fox » Mon May 19, 2014 9:03 am

I spent yesterday afternoon at Lake Compounce with a few friends; planned a big photo report but I couldn't get my friends to slow down enough for me to take much in the way of photos, so I'll keep it to a few quick updates.

Given how beautiful yesterday turned out to be here, crowds were almost non-existant. There a bit before the gates opened, we were the fifth car in the parking lot. By 3:00 or so, it looked like about 15% of the lot was being used. Almost everything was a walk-on; Boulder Dash was a few rides waiting for front or back seat at peak time. The only real lines were for the flume, since they only appeared to be running four boats, and for Pink's.

Everything was up running. Wildcat has been completely transformed with the new trackwork; anyone that remembers it as a painful little deathtrap is going to be very pleasantly surprised. With the new tracking, it's a great little coaster; quick, just wild enough, and not a single moment of pain. Boulder Dash seemed to be a bit sluggish to me, but we did ride it early in the day, and it's still the beginning of the season. It seems to be getting a bit rougher as well, especially on the backstretch, but not painfully so far; I just hope it's not the beginning of any real troubles. Flat rides were all running and running as always (amazingly fast for the Wave Swinger, sluggish for Wipeout, downright sad for the American Flyers...pretty much acceptable for everything else), the flume was...mostly cold. Maybe going on it so early in the season wasn't the best plan.

Operations were mostly good, considering that they were clearly training a lot of new staff. A few little hiccups and delays here or there, but nothing I wouldn't expect or could blame a park for at the beginning of the season.

Now, I'm sure it's Pink's everyone wants to hear about. Two of the friends that came with me are California transplants and had been talking the place up to me since the first mention of it coming to LC, so I was going in with cautiously high hopes. And...I wasn't disappointed. I'm not sure if I can say it was definitely the best hot dog I've ever had, but it was certainly close. I had a Hollywood Boulevard dog with cheese, mustard, jalapenos, and bacon, and it looked so good that I completely forgot to get a picture before I tore into it. REALLY good park food though. The line for the place did move slowly since the staff was still learning to make all of the food, but it was made well when it did come up, and I'm sure it's going to get much quicker...and it will need to, since it's going to be much busier soon.

So, we managed to hit everything in the park except the Thunder Creek raft ride, the important stuff multiple times, try Pink's, and be out of the park by 4:30. Not bad!
BDQueue.jpg
Boulder Dash queue 45 minutes after opening. Probably a good day to come to the park.
LCPirate.jpg
This really is a nice looking setup. It's too bad the ride itself isn't a bit more impressive, but it is a family park.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby thesman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:50 pm

I heard a rumor that they are looking for new trains for boulder dash. They were looking more toward RMC trains. I am pretty pumped i just hope they don't use the gravity groups train as I'm not a big fan.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby BoulderDash » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Where did you hear that? That would be neat. It might need a re-tracking before though it is getting a little rough but still very ride able and smooth.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:20 pm

I hope they don't do that. I had no problems with the PTC trains, though I know a few people complain of comfort issues with the seat divider. I appreciate that the bars don't seem to auto-staple, as that varies a lot with PTCs. I don't want RMC trains on traditional wooden coasters due to the extremely tight design/use of the lap bars, and I'm sure it wouldn't be cost-effective for them to design something different, apart from maybe omitting the leg bars.

I'm assuming you're not confused with the rumored upcoming train replacement on Wildcat, right?
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Rai Fox » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:11 am

thesman wrote:I heard a rumor that they are looking for new trains for boulder dash. They were looking more toward RMC trains. I am pretty pumped i just hope they don't use the gravity groups train as I'm not a big fan.

Someone brought this up to the Jerry, LC's GM, recently. I wish I could remember his exact response right now but it was basically a carefully worded "we're not replacing the current trains right at this time" kind of answer, so they idea that they might be exploring it for the future seems pretty plausible. I know the PTCs do really tear the track up. The park had looked into adding magnetic brakes at the turnaround to bleed off some speed before the back stretch a while back, but (fortunately) decided against that; I do like the way the PTCs ride on BD, but if it comes down to adding trims, or replacing the trains, to keep the coaster running in top form, I'd certainly much rather see the latter.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Brassinthegrass » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:43 pm

I agree... New trains over trims any day!

I do wonder what RMC would be able to do with a train that they know will not navigate such intense movements... When you see what they are building, their trains fit the strange motions the track takes... If there building for what is more of a traditional style track, I wonder if they would go with a more open,less restrictive train...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!