Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

P. 45: The beginning of a waterpark in 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

Postby xmichellex » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:25 pm

^ Oh right! I forgot about that... did a quick search, saw this on Wikipedia (of course, this is probably not the end-all be-all of information, but probably fairly accurate):

The Yankee Cannonball has two trains, but only one runs at a time. There are 6 riders per car, for a total of 18 riders per train. The trains were built by Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters. Restraints consist of headrests and lap bars, and seat belts were added for the 2003 season, as a response to a 2001 accident, in which the two trains collided at the foot of the lift hill due to operator failure in engaging the brakes
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Top Thrill (CP), i305 (KD), Kumba (BGT), Cali. Screamin' (DCA)
Top 5 Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Lightning Racer (Hershey), Beast (KI), Yankee Cannonball (Canobie Lake)
Total Credits: 141

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby mrceagle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:13 am

There was a very low speed collision in 2001. No injury and no damage. but because it happened shortly after the train on superman at SFNE hit sending a dozen to the hospital it got more publicity then it would have if the topic wasn't in the news at the time.

The park did redo the brakes in 2002 while GCI re-tracked the rest of the coaster M&V redid the station and added new skids/a computerized system. but it was decided after inspection that on a wet day a hit is still probable. Not wanting to take the risk they opted to run on train and they swap then out weekly.

There are plans to redo the coaster to operate 2 trains. If they go with traditional mags thy would have to rebuild the station. turns and re-track the entire coaster added more height to the rails. this would make the upgrade extremely expensive.

There is a new system that uses Skid style mags. this would be the parks best bet. It would allow for the upgrade with no re-tracking.

Postby xmichellex » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 am

^ Great info! Thanks!
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Top Thrill (CP), i305 (KD), Kumba (BGT), Cali. Screamin' (DCA)
Top 5 Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Lightning Racer (Hershey), Beast (KI), Yankee Cannonball (Canobie Lake)

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Schotcher » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Is there a big difference between crowds Saturday Vs. Sunday?

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby canobie#1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:16 am

There was. But it wasn't major

Next year they will be installing a new brake system. This will allow them to run two trains again.

Saturday and sunday are very busy. I recomend going for the 5 oclock special and get a lower price on your ticket. That is when all the camps leave and you get the park all to yourself until 11.
Canobie lake park
Yankee Cannonball- canobie corkscrew- dragon coaster- Untamed
Serving SCREAMS since 1902

LAKE COMPOUNCE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:25 pm

I will be at Canobie this Sunday, looking forward to some more Untamed! Do they still have a single rider line?

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby canobie#1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:48 pm

ECZenith wrote:I will be at Canobie this Sunday, looking forward to some more Untamed! Do they still have a single rider line?

Yes they do

Have a great trip!
Canobie lake park
Yankee Cannonball- canobie corkscrew- dragon coaster- Untamed
Serving SCREAMS since 1902

LAKE COMPOUNCE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Postby xmichellex » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:53 am

Went to Canobie for the 2nd time this summer over the weekend...

Had a great time as usual--park was gorgeous as always, staff and ride-ops were friendly and efficient, everything was up and running, wait times were acceptable... Canobie is awesome in that you can pretty much bet you're going to have a good experience there.

I rode in the very back of the Cannonball for the first time in a while (usually sit towards in the front)... it reminded me of why it's still one of my favorite wooden coasters--I don't think I was even in my seat for 95% of the time. I was laughing so hard the whole time... that thing is like an ejector air dream machine.

They really need to scrap the Corkscrew. Trust me, I love the old Arrows, but this thing is just done, period. I don't think it's going anywhere soon though because it looks like they were in the process of painting it.

For anyone else that's gone this year, did you notice Untamed got noticeably rougher? Last year when it was brand new it was a little rough, but not horrible... When I rode it the first time this summer it was not pleasant at all... so I gave it another chance over the weekend and rode it twice within a few hours. The first time wasn't so bad, but the second time made me question whether or not I'd care to ever ride it again. The first half of the ride is great, but the transitions in the 2nd half are brutal. I don't particularly mind a little head-bashing (within reason) since I know how to brace myself, but still... it kind of ruins the ride as a whole. My bf got a pretty bad headache after ride #2 and it ruined the rest of his night.

Overall though, I love Canobie, and it will probably always be one of my favorite parks.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 am

^I was surprised I had never heard too much about the back seat of Cannonball after I rode it there last year. There really is a lot more airtime than the front. I know that makes sense for a wooden coaster, but for one thing, it was really pronounced on Cannonball, and for another, often out-and-backs are just as good or better in the front.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Rai Fox » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 pm

xmichellex wrote:They really need to scrap the Corkscrew. Trust me, I love the old Arrows, but this thing is just done, period. I don't think it's going anywhere soon though because it looks like they were in the process of painting it.

I'm kinda surprised to hear this. Was it really that bad? I know it used to be years back, but last time I was on it...last year or the year before, I forget...it was surprisingly smooth, one of the best rides I've ever had on an old Arrow Corkscrew.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!