TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canobie Lake Park Discussion Thread

Canobie Lake Park has sent us a press release about the return of the park's SCREEMFEST Halloween event!

Canobie Lake Park in Salem, New Hampshire, is the place to be for “screeems,” thrills and chills during the Park’s SCREEEMFEST event, each weekend from September 24 through October 30. Canobie offers one of the best varieties of fall entertainment in all of New England.

There’s fun by day with rides, games and plenty of family-friendly options, including a petting zoo on Saturday and Sunday afternoons through October 23rd. Then at night, SCREEEMFEST adds fear to all that fun through October 30th with five terrifying haunted houses, including two NEW haunts this year: Carnivus where evil clowns still rule the long-dead carnival, and Virus: Quarantine, where no one is immune. There are roaming “monsters” and a monster parade throughout the park, Halloween-themed games and much more.

You can also enjoy a variety of live entertainment at no additional charge during SCREEMFEST. Canobie’s ROCKtoberfest event features a different legendary rock tribute band each weekend during SCREEEMFEST featuring professional touring bands. Also appearing is the live and freaky “SwingShift SideShow,” performing strange feats of physical daring that are truly not for the faint of heart.

A “Tribute to the Life and Legacy of Prince” show will be presented from September 24 to October 10, while “Tribute to Michael: Ghosts,” will thrill audiences from October 14 to October 30.

One low admission price for Canobie Lake Park SCREEEMFEST includes all haunted houses, operating rides, ROCKtoberfest, the Petting Zoo, live entertainment and more. For Park hours, show schedules, directions and information about group discounts, visit canobie.com.

• 1 month later...

I'm shocked not to see it posted here, but Canobie submitted plans with the Town of Salem two weeks ago to build a river rapids ride in 2017 called the New Hampshire Explorer! The ride will be located next to Untamed and will fill out that section of the park nicely. Based on the plans submitted, it looks like the ride will have some pretty good theming with it as well.

Plans Submitted to the Town

I'm really excited to see a new river rapids ride. I was almost certain the park's next addition would be a water ride, but I was dead wrong what kind. I was expecting some water slides by the park's Castaway Island water play area.

I hate rapids rides but this looks like a great fit for the park.

It will give me more reasons to ride the Boston Tea Party for one. I like that ride, but hate getting soaked for that one drop. If this rapids ride gets me drenched, which if it's anything like the one at Compounce it will, I've got nothing else to lose at that point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

It's old news at this point, but unfortunately Canobie cancelled plans for their rapids ride after Dreamworld's accident. It's pretty frustrating since Canobie hasn't added anything in a while and their last addition (Equinox) didn't even last a year.

The Xtreme Frisbee has been down for a year at this point. The vehicle is still covered so it doesn't look like it will open anytime soon. That's a big hit for the park since it's one of their more popular rides.

But on the bright side, there are a lot of construction markers on a patch of land next to the Corkscrew and Castaway Island. I know it has been a popular rumor that the Corkscrew may be removed, but I think the ride will be around for quite some time. The trains received a fresh new paint job and the park has added some signs about the ride's history in the queue. I doubt they do that if it were on the chopping block.

I have a hunch they plan to open a water slide complex there and slowly start building a water park like Quassy. Both parks started with just a water play structure. And the marker location makes sense for slides because of their proximity to Castaway Island.

Also it's a great day to be at the park. No lines anywhere since there was a threat of rain earlier. Setting a new personal best for Cannonball rides in a visit.

IMG_7479.thumb.JPG.1e32625b201f6fae90fc0650fcbdb2a2.JPG

Corkscrew's newly painted train.

IMG_7480.thumb.JPG.bd17c23ee33a5e42037871d9b24a337d.JPG

Survey markers.

Yeah I agree. Though with the location of the new markers it seems the rapids ride with the same theme likely isn't in the cards next year.

I noticed Matterhorn/Equinox's old pad had a construction fence and a sign saying something was coming, so maybe they'll add a ride back in that spot mid-season? That was hinted at during a regional event. I just hope they get new rides since the last 2 used rides they've bought have had major mechanical issues.

• 2 weeks later...
The park has an 80-85ft height restriction so they can't go too high. I'm hoping for an inverting flat so an air race would fit the bill.

Yeah. I mean, Crows Nest is only 65 feet tall and it is still plenty thrilling. Put yeah, I would also love to see something that goes upside down. Or maybe even a Zamperla Endeavor! I rode the one at Six Flags Over Texas and it was a blast! Although I saw three different people get off the ride and vomit.

The park has an 80-85ft height restriction so they can't go too high. I'm hoping for an inverting flat so an air race would fit the bill.

Yeah. I mean, Crows Nest is only 65 feet tall and it is still plenty thrilling. Put yeah, I would also love to see something that goes upside down. Or maybe even a Zamperla Endeavor! I rode the one at Six Flags Over Texas and it was a blast! Although I saw three different people get off the ride and vomit.

Which ride at SFOT is the Endeavor? I have a feeling I'd love to see that!

I'm sure Canobie is quite hesitant about used rides at this point, but just the same, how about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUSS-TRI-STAR-AMUSEMENT-PARK-RIDE-carnival-GREAT-CONDITION-/161198002672

Looks like it's the one that used to be at Kennywood and Idlewild, if the description is accurate. Probably far from the most popular ride, and nowhere near new, but I remember loving the Tristar at Riverside park before it became SFNE. I've wanted to find one running again since.

If Troikas can be making a comeback at Cedar Fair parks all over, it's not entirely far-fetched to imagine seeing a Tristar again!

Based on the troubles with two of their recent used thrill rides, I can't see them going that route again even if it is quite a bit cheaper. Especially an old Huss ride since they are currently having problems with the Frisbee since they can't get a specific part.

I still think they have to be announcing a major addition for 2018 or 2019. With that rapids ride getting shelved, I have to think the park had a decent chunk of change saved up for that addition, so they should have enough for a water park addition (makes the most sense for them) or another roller coaster (what I really want).

I'm sure Canobie is quite hesitant about used rides at this point, but just the same, how about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUSS-TRI-STAR-AMUSEMENT-PARK-RIDE-carnival-GREAT-CONDITION-/161198002672

Looks like it's the one that used to be at Kennywood and Idlewild, if the description is accurate. Probably far from the most popular ride, and nowhere near new, but I remember loving the Tristar at Riverside park before it became SFNE. I've wanted to find one running again since.

If Troikas can be making a comeback at Cedar Fair parks all over, it's not entirely far-fetched to imagine seeing a Tristar again!

That seems like it would be a WONDERFUL addition at Canobie. It seems very family friendly and it is eye catching to say the least. But I think they would probably want to go with something a bit more new since the last used ride they bought was a bust. But about the Endeavour/Catwoman's Whip. It was a wonderful ride. I thought for sure it was going to make me feel nauseous but I really didn't. It is a very quick ride and you could really feel the forces in your feet. I LOVED the sensation that you got during the ride! It just felt so open and I felt like I was flying. And the lighting package on it was gorgeous. And the line was fairly long for it but the line moved quickly because it is a high capacity ride. They could either get the 24 model where the seats are in a single line or they could get the 48 version with double seats.

This is probably nothing more than a crackpot dream, but I've wanted the park to consider buying Kanonen. It fits under the height limit perfectly (at least if the 80 feet marker is true... I thought it was 75?) and would give them yet another great mid-tier thrill ride.

Of course, I guess an attraction the whole family can enjoy would be better.

I too would love Kanonen but think it would be a pipe dream. Then again the park does seem to like buying used rides as we've found out lately.

Last I knew, they actually went over to look at Kanonen. Unfortunately, they didn't purchase it because it wasn't "up to their standards". I have a feeling they'll still add this rapids ride for 2018.