TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb & Elissa in Asia - 2016!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple questions - I'm guessing Roaring Rapids was closed? I didn't see you post anything about it. Wondered how the big Quaraq animatronic looked...

Yes the ride is closed during the winter months. From what I've been told and have seen, the animatronic turned out to be not quite as impressive as people had hoped. Nice, yes, but it was no lava monster.

Great trip report and a lot of useful info I can use when I make a future trip to China. Big fan of Disney so both Disney parks there are most definitely on my bucket list. However, confused why there is a dislike of Pepsi so much. I've been following these forums for many years and seen quite a few posts of how some are sad Pepsi is at certain theme parks. I mean I like Coke too...But I also like Pepsi...I'll drink either. I'm just curious. Are you all mad at Pepsi for setting Michael Jackson's hair on fire or just don't like the taste? Either way, not a big deal. Just curious?

For those that don't realize there are still two classes of people in China with a great cultural divide between those who grew up in urban versus rural communities. Although many Chinese have moved (or were forced to move) from farms to factories, the new urban families have not quite forgotten and revert back to their their rural ways. During my three weeks in China I talked to the guides quite a bit, and many of them were embarrassed by the uncivilized half of the population that is flooding into urban areas. Many Chinese are still learning how the rest of the civilized world interacts and are a product of their culture. Many don't realize it is inappropriate to relieve yourself whenever you need too, they don't know the concept of waiting patiently (versus pushing), they don't understand the need to provide personal space, and the tonality of the language gives the signal that everyone are always yelling when sometimes they are not. Quite frankly when you are trying to relax on vacation those foibles are annoying and can ruin the magic.

This is 100% correct. We had our guide from our first two sightseeing days say the exact same thing to us and at Disney, we had quite a few cast members including management come us to us and try to explain and apologize for some of the Chinese behavior. It's the same thing with a lot of Brazilians I know. While I realize the entire culture doesn't behave like a Brazilian tour group at a theme park, often times my friends I have from Brazil will apologize for those groups because even they know they act horrible. And honestly, there are plenty of awful Americans, too (just go read social media for ten minutes) and I find myself having to apologize for the "Ugly Americans" when we travel abroad. Having to do it even more now thanks to our recent election results. :/

How very true though that no country is completely clean. I live in the U.S.A. and graduated from high school a couple years ago (currently in college) and assuming that nothing has changed there, American high schools sound very much like the description of the Chinese park goers you described. It's more than a cultural thing, it is the way people are brought up.

As for Pirates Of The Caribbean, I thought the same technology was going to be applied to a new Star Wars ride in Hollywood Studios at Disney World. With that being said, as much as I would not mind seeing Pirates replaced, keep it for the fanboys while the "cool kids" ride the new Star Wars boat ride.

So after two full days of Shanghai Disneyland, we took a break, went back into the city and explored a bit more...

C0KLWr_UQAAyINP.jpg

C0KLWr9UQAAKNED.jpg

C0KLWr8UsAA3-7t.jpg

When traveling to Shanghai Disneyland by train, there is an easy access Metro station right at the park! This also allows you to get into the city easily as well!

C0KXZonVIAEti6w.jpg

Ahh, yes.... this is what I'm used to China looking like!

C0KXmPnVIAAD1U3.jpg

Anal bead tower... (official name, not making it up!)

C0KgbjAUsAAEfJt.jpg

I'll take "phrases I never thought I'd hear for $100, Alex"

C0Ka4mLVIAA7caQ.jpg

The real reason for our trip into Shanghai this morning! The World's Largest Disney Store!

C0KkuxIUoAAbN2Y.jpg

WARNING!!! Lots of Shanghai "World's Largest Disney Store" pics coming up next!

C0Kk9KIUQAAb_Q9.jpg

C0Kk9KTVQAIePv8.jpg

C0Kk9KrUUAATI3I.jpg

C0Kk9L4UkAAM30s.jpg

Ok, I *NEED* all this Baymax Christmas stuff in my life right now!

C0Klt4xUkAAZZx-.jpg

C0Klt5kUAAAYqOE.jpg

C0Klt5jVIAAUgNm.jpg

C0KluBMVIAUvqkB.jpg

There are a ridiculous amount of TsumTsum here! Never seen this many in one place!

C0Kl7xNUcAAxYw0.jpg

C0Kl7xOUsAA7lnc.jpg

C0Kl7xOUcAAvDdZ.jpg

C0Kl7xPUAAIKk7I.jpg

More TsumTsum ... and wait there is even MORE...

C0KmFZqUUAANAQ3.jpg

C0KmFZmUcAAr7p0.jpg

C0KmFZpUQAAgzAu.jpg

C0KmFZpUsAANEid.jpg

INSANE!!!

C0KnkwtUkAAiJyw.jpg

C0KnkwuVIAAYBJX.jpg

C0KnkwsUUAEgO1M.jpg

C0KnkwtVEAEBtBS.jpg

Why don't we have any of this cool Baymax stuff back home???

C0KoVK9VQAAsDhG.jpg

C0KoVLyVQAARw6j.jpg

C0KoVLxVIAAPsox.jpg

I also need all this awesome Zootopia stuff in my life!

C0Kso3ZVIAAQQ5e.jpg

C0Kso3eUoAAW9-X.jpg

C0Kso3cVQAApTp_.jpg

C0Kso3cVEAAWseS.jpg

Some of the interior of the world's largest Disney Store Shanghai! It's amazing!

C0Kso3bUQAQ7TgZ.jpg

C0Kso5jUQAEslDZ.jpg

C0Kso5iUoAA_9zz.jpg

C0Kso5kVEAA8XDy.jpg

Plenty of stuff for your little princess!

C0Kso53UkAA9eHw.jpg

C0Kso52UkAA8qGk.jpg

C0Kso53UAAAr324.jpg

C0Kso6oUAAARTxe.jpg

Star Wars section and yes, more TsumTsum!

C0Kw9LfUUAAqX5f.jpg

C0Kw9MxUQAABRWS.jpg

C0Kw9LrVEAASw8-.jpg

C0Kw9MrUUAIdBRF.jpg

If you are into the Asian Disney Store UniBEARsity character there is plenty here!

Here's a quick look around the World's largest Disney Store!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

C0K1CsIUcAAvkVQ.jpg

C0K1CscVIAAybv0.jpg

C0K1CsbVEAE8mmX.jpg

C0K1CslVQAE6RzK.jpg

A new Taco Bell just opened in #Shanghai and after our awesome Tokyo Taco Bell visit last year we had to check this out!

C0K2WlIUAAASmyg.jpg

Because when in China... You get tacos! Of course! Duh!!!

C0K3PVoUUAAZZh5.jpg

C0K3PWnUcAA2y8H.jpg

C0K3PXiUcAAQ4Pu.jpg

C0K3PYmVIAA_6Nh.jpg

International Taco Bell is VERY different than in the US! Familiar yes, but not as "fast food" as you're used to.

C0K3diPUkAAySUi.jpg

C0K3doJUQAIZE8W.jpg

C0K3doYUAAAwUMA.jpg

I love the "Taco characters" you see at Asian Taco Bell! I need these in my life! lol

C0K3qthUAAMoma1.jpg

Having a wonderful #TacoFriendsChristmasParty! lol

15658056_1050958178383920_544016871_o.thumb.jpg.c907caa3d21da72669de25e878ec617a.jpg

Yay! We found our favorite Chinese local! Brent and his family came and met up with us in Shanghai!

C0K-6AAUUAAn2zL.jpg

C0K-5--VEAEhsgt.jpg

C0K-6ABUAAE70a7.jpg

C0K-6ACUcAAXm7N.jpg

To complete our "ugly American fast food" tour of China, we went to the new Pizza Hut where you are seated by this cute robot!

C0LCxJNUkAImOnL.jpg

C0LCxJTUQAAWyxV.jpg

C0LCxJCUQAAKWB5.jpg

C0LCxJkUkAAfaUH.jpg

Much like Taco Bell, Asian Pizza Hut is VERY different from what we are used to in the US! It's less like "crappy, greasy pizza" and more like "somewhat decent restaurant." I mean, they have steak and escargot on the menu!!!

C0LXjYfUcAAW0FC.jpg

Back at Disneytown at Shanghai Disneyland, We've seen Disney park service cast members do "water art", "chalk art", but this the first "leaf art" we've seen!

We found something cool in our hotel room!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

And that wraps up Shanghai! Next stop... Hong Kong Disneyland!

Click HERE for the next section of the report from our trip!

Edited by robbalvey

Loving the Taco Bell and Pizza Hut photos. The tacos look edible, and not covered in nacho cheese powder! And the meat tray at Pizza Hut.

I would love to experience the Shanghai version of Pirates. I liked the one in California quite a lot (it became my new favourite dark ride), but even based on the videos I've seen of the Shanghai version, it looks just light years ahead in technology and visually impressive. I don't know if we'll ever get to China, though I'd love to, and most Americans certainly never will. Disney does a remarkable job keeping their attractions relevant and appealing, so maybe we'll see this copied in the U.S. I would absolutely make another trip to either Disneyland or WDW if they did.

My eyes are popping out at your incredible coverage in your Trip Report.

I'm still deciding between the escargots at Pizza Hut - or.....maybe buying ONE OF EVERYTHING at the world's largest Disney Store!!

I need more STUFF!!! NEED. MORE. STUFF.

Alice

Our next stop was Hong Kong Disneyland! This is a park I have visited several times since it opened in 2005 and it has been impressive to see the insane amount of expansion that has been done in that time. The park has added some major new "original" attractions like Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mountain along with other major to minor expansions like Toy Story Land, a new Castle projection show, Paint The Night Parade, Hyperspace Mountain, Storybook walk-through area, a new show to replace the Golden Mickey's, etc. And at the moment they have a new ride opening, Iron Man Experience, as well as some more major additions announced: Frozen area with a new major ride and a Marvel area with another new major ride. They are also well into construction of a new Explorers themed hotel and will be upgrading their castle. IMO, this is the Disney park that has the most potential in the upcoming years!

Anyway, onto some photos!

C0PRSQgUcAAtLsi.jpg

C0PRSQLUAAA9TuJ.jpg

C0PRSQFUsAA0Uzg.jpg

What better way to start our visit to Hong Kong Disneyland than with some Mickey Mouse waffles?

C0PU4QqWQAEb2gq.jpg

C0PU4QmXUAAcfa4.jpg

C0PU4QpXgAAllS_.jpg

We have only been at Hong Kong Disneyland like 20 minutes and we've already met Mickey!

C0PeRqYXAAA9Cke.jpg

Can you spot the hidden Mickey?

C0PldHvXgAILq9x.jpg

We have arrived at Hong Kong Disneyland!

C0P80zNWgAAioo_.jpg

C0P80y7W8AAXPvf.jpg

C0P80zGWQAEUxvM.jpg

C0P80zBWEAAkIUM.jpg

Our morning at Hong Kong Disneyland has started out with some exclusive ride time on Big Grizzly and Mystic Manor before the park opened!

C0QIzESWEAAYz1N.jpg

C0QIzElXEAEWUWL.jpg

C0QIzEmXUAExsYn.jpg

C0QIzEmXUAAjw37.jpg

Mystic Manor is one of the most amazing dark rides I've ever been on! Disney tech & storytelling at its best!

C0QezWpWQAE-Gzj.jpg

C0QezWpWQAM2PXG.jpg

C0QezWpXEAAOjT5.jpg

C0QezWrWIAAjQD9.jpg

Big Grizzly is yet another star attraction of Hong Kong Disneyland! One of the best coasters Disney has built!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

C0QTcOPXEAERq67.jpg

Soon the Hong Kong Disneyland castle will be transformed into a larger majestic icon! Wish they'd do the same in California!

C0QqPh2XEAAE0Lx.jpg

OMG! Love these TsumTsum Stitch headbands!

C0QscnTXAAAfRnH.jpg

C0QscnhXcAA6inV.jpg

C0QscnzXAAAV8RV.jpg

Which Gelatoni dress do you think Kristen should get?

C0QvlKMXcAAsuZ3.jpg

C0QvlKPWQAAP55l.jpg

C0QvlKRXcAEEabE.jpg

C0QvlKYXUAAlPoN.jpg

So much awesome Duffy, Shellie May & Gelatoni merchandise! We want it all!

C0QybWDXUAEWBaW.jpg

Who wishes they had a FastPass for Hyperspace Mountain right now?

C0RhVEDXcAATXtq.jpg

C0RhVEMXAAA5VF2.jpg

C0RhVEUXEAQE0co.jpg

You can either meet "Santa Goofy" or write him a letter and mail it!

C0RBN35XUAAo6-0.jpg

Are you the kind of girl who would rather have a bouquet of TsumTsum over flowers?

C0RhmZkWEAArV4X.jpg

C0RhmamWgAAxHbD.jpg

C0Rhmb0W8AAAN5J.jpg

C0RhmdDXAAU5i-n.jpg

Absolutely love all this black light glowy merchandise!

C0Qi_vGXUAAyRgL.jpg

C0Qi_vJWEAAhdms.jpg

C0Qi_vJXUAAQSYS.jpg

C0Qi_vIXUAA97LW.jpg

Hyperspace Mountain was GREAT! Wish we would see this overlay at a few more Disney parks!

C0RiMm7WIAAvWYz.jpg

C0RiMnDXEAEEFt2.jpg

C0RiMnrWgAAdm6N.jpg

C0RiMoQWEAEtBwi.jpg

The amount of Duffy merchandise at Hong Kong Disneyland is really approaching Tokyo levels now!

C0Rk10kXUAEvAiW.jpg

C0Rk10uWEAAi5IP.jpg

C0Rk10tXAAAl8WB.jpg

C0Rk103WgAA1XOG.jpg

Did we mention there is a butt load of Duffy merchandise?

C0Q1vvtWgAEvD6M.jpg

Here we are having a blast on RC Racer!

This is the best "don't take photos of your onride pic" deterrent I've ever seen! Very clever!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

C0RF8fBXgAA4GgA.jpg

Coming soon! The Iron Man Experience attraction opens in January!

C0RjmALWIAA9nOv.jpg

C0RjmAMWQAA02rU.jpg

C0RjmAOW8AATyuT.jpg

C0RjmASWEAAEk50.jpg

This interactive walk-through fairy tale attraction was super cute!

C0RQ46zWEAAnK59.jpg

C0RQ46zXgAEv-CY.jpg

The Christmas tree in the hub of Hong Kong Disneyland! I love that Baymax is included on it!

C0RQXApWEAERypF.jpg

This Christmas show with all the Duffy characters was awesome! I wish these guys took off more in the US!

C0R_zPrXgAA6J4A.jpg

Night time here at Hong Kong Disneyland!

C0SQS0KUAAAblrX.jpg

C0SQSzuUkAAvbzv.jpg

C0SQS0QVEAAl7Wd.jpg

C0SQS0GUkAAdPdB.jpg

Main Street Christmas decorations look amazing!

C0SByf_XAAAOKLr.jpg

Really looking forward to the castle re-do!

C0SagOVWIAEEZIf.jpg

It's snowing on Main Street!

C0SeEx3WgAERRY1.jpg

C0SeEx2W8AIohdF.jpg

C0SeEzxWIAE5p9m.jpg

Hong Kong Disneyland's fireworks absolutely proves you can do amazing projections on a small castle. Why isn't SoCal Disneyland doing this???

[twitter]

[/twitter]

C0Sf8zxXcAAohhU.jpg

Giant letter U or RC Racer? You decide...

C0Sh1ZcWQAADh5Z.jpg

Yes, they do the Jedi Academy show at Hong Kong Disneyland as well and yes a lot of new Jedi's are created from it!

C0Sfp07WIAAsUFI.jpg

Tomorrowland is very glowy and pretty and makes me smile!

C0SW6npWgAAuLKn.jpg

Here's a look at Mystic Manor at night!

C0SXvoeXgAASwQm.jpg

And here's Big Grizzly Mountain at night!

C0Sc_2iWEAEUGXN.jpg

C0Sc_2jW8AEKeWy.jpg

C0Sc_2jWEAEd1qr.jpg

C0Sc_2wWgAAcgAB.jpg

Paint The Night! The most visually impressive parade I've ever seen!

C0SizzGXAAAWxe-.jpg

Wow! It was busy today at Hong Kong Disneyland but it didn't feel like it! Operations were smooth and fantastic! Clientele was wonderful and well behaved, especially compared to Shanghai.

C0SjNBbXgAAOsnS.jpg

Great first day at Hong Kong Disneyland! We will be back again tomorrow!

Click HERE for the next section of the report from our trip!

Edited by robbalvey

Since the Hong Kong castle's coming down soon to be replaced by a bigger one (It'll be weird seeing a Disney park without a castle ), is there any current sign of deconstruction? Or is that not for a while yet?

This is the best "don't take photos of your onride pic" deterrent I've ever seen! Very clever!

Says the one who took a video instead. But yes, it was amazing and more parks should try to do something similar. Do any other Disney parks do this?

Since the Hong Kong castle's coming down soon to be replaced by a bigger one (It'll be weird seeing a Disney park without a castle ), is there any current sign of deconstruction? Or is that not for a while yet?

That's not quite right. From what I've read on other Disney park sites, the castle itself is staying, and the top of it is being "added to,"

if I remember, making it taller and grander.

This is based on an earlier report that the "topper" part was already designed, for Disneyland's castle, possibly for it's 50th back then. But

Disney realized that the original castle that Walt built shouldn't be tampered with, that much. So, the plans were shuttered, until recently.

And since Hong Kong's castle is pretty much a copy of the DL one, those plans could be applied to this castle.