Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 239 - Festival of the Arts media day report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby DILinator » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:04 am

jynx242 wrote:Does anyone remember when they were a kid and the Epcot day at Disney was like punishment?? There really wasn't anything exciting for a pre-teen and although the parents loved it - I was bored out of my skull and trying to connive my way back to MK.

:nina:

I'm totally with you there! :lol: Last time I went was on my Honeymoon back in 2001, and aside from some frickin' fantastic Italian food in Italy, it was only a so-so experience. (I'd been once before as a kid as well, to an even less enthusiastic reaction.)

While I get why the nostalgists would be disappointed about the new direction, it's totally a great move on Disney's part. I know my kids are already excited about seeing the new Frozen ride someday, and these other upcoming attractions sound great as well! And again, the food back in World Showcase... :p (That's a licking my lips smiley, in this instance!)
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:45 am

robbalvey wrote:Here's a really amazing 4K version of the new Frozen Ride! Enjoy!

How anyone can think it was a mistake to replace the old ride with this is insane. It looks great!

Postby thrillrider » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:16 pm

Got stuck on the lift, had to be evacuated.
20160709_182854.jpg
261 steel coasters
100 wood coasters

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby JordyC » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:16 am

thrillrider wrote:Got stuck on the lift, had to be evacuated.

You lucky bastard..
<< Quality Over Quantity >>

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Goliath - Walibi Holland 8. Red Force - Ferrari Land 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 131 || Parks: 24

PortAventura Park || Ferrari Land || Plopsaland De Panne || Efteling || Liseberg ||Holiday Park, Europa-Park & Plopsa Coo || Walibi Holland

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby tinaalsgirl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Personally, I feel like IPs are a great way to get kids interested in learning new things. I mean, it's not like World Showcase doesn't already have IP presences. At least half the pavilions have meet & greets with characters.

United Kingdom has meet & greets with Alice, Mary Poppins, and Pooh & Tigger. France has Belle (Peasant) and Beast, Princess Aurora, and Marie from Aristocats (also, when I was there in 2012, they had a Remy animatronic on a little cart that they pushed around Chefs de France; don't know if that's still there). Morroco has Princess Jasmine and Aladdin. Germany has Snow White. China has Mulan. Norway now has Anna & Elsa. Mexico has Donald Duck (Three Caballeros-style). Now that they have an Elena of Avalor face character, I'd actually love to see her do meet & greets at the Mexico pavilion.

I also really wish the United Kingdom pavilion could've gotten the amazing Alice in Wonderland & Robin Hood (omg!) stuff that were in plans for an expansion seen here: http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/uk.htm

It would be an amazing way to bring kids in while still keeping the country the focal point.

Also, I loved how when my friend and I were doing shopping in the UK pavilion, one of the cashiers asked us trivia and we got stickers for getting right answers. Additionally, I love how all the pavilions have people working there who are from those countries. It just adds to the atmosphere so much.

So, anyway, long story short, I have no problem with IPs in the World Showcase and would be fine with seeing more if done right (from what I've heard/read, the museum in Norway actually does an excellent job of showing how Norway inspired Frozen).

Just don't do anything to Spaceship Earth, though, or there'll be at least a one-person riot. ;)

PS: Kinda sad to hear Universe of Energy will be replaced. I really enjoyed it and it was a great break from the heat. But I can understand the need to renovate; the animatronics were rather sad-looking and the science is outdated.

I'd love to see them add a Tron coaster to Future World, btw.

PPS: I was one of those "weird" kids who was devastated when my parents decided we'd skip Epcot during our first visit to WDW. I didn't get to go until I was 26 and I actually felt like a little kid experiencing that park for the first time. I fell in love so hard and fast. Then again, I've always been fascinated with history, learning, and time travel (the future represented in Future World, the "old world" feel of the World Showcase).

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:10 pm

Sometimes being an Orlando local means you can go to the parks at random times just to "hang out" or pop in quickly to have lunch. Today we ended up being at Epcot twice for two different things! It's awesome having an annual pass to the park living in Central Florida. Easily the best theme park investment you can make!

Here's a mini-trip report from our visits today...

As Orlando locals, today we are just popping into @WDWToday #Epcot for lunch! #OrlandoLife

Elissa is pre-gaming potstickers in preparation for @WDWToday #Epcot Food & Wine!

image.jpeg
OMG! The new Mongolian beef noodles at the China quick-serve are amazing!

In just a few weeks @WDWToday #Epcot Food & Wine starts! Our favorite theme park event ever!!!

"Where do you want to go for lunch today?" "Quick service at Epcot?" "Sure!" #OrlandoLife

I'm up for a night time walk around @WDWToday #Epcot! How about you?

ProTip! Ride Frozen just BEFORE EMH starts! We waited 18 minutes. Line is now about an hour!

image.jpeg
I kinda want this! :)

Just wandering around @WDWToday #Epcot World Showcase at night! Beautiful.

We just went from China to Morocco in about 60 seconds!

Another great night hanging out @WDWToday #Epcot!
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:31 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Food & Wine Festival opened on Wednesday and of course we were there! We will be at the media event on Saturday so we will have more to share this weekend. But for now, here's some pics...

Today is opening day for @WDWToday #EpcotFoodFestival! Our absolute favorite annual theme park event!

The #EpcotFoodFestival is open daily! Let's go check it out!

Here's a look at some of this years #EpcotFoodFestival merchandise! Love the new logos!

2016 #EpcotFoodFestival guide includes booth stickers! No more holding up lines to get stamps! Great idea!

#EpcotFoodFestival food booths getting ready to open for their first time this year!

Once again, @ElissaAlvey is first in line for Pot Stickers in China!

Our first stop @WDWToday #EpcotFoodFestival is China!

Unfortunately they've radically changed the PotSticker sauce this year. Sadly, It's not good.

Compared to previous years, the Potsticker sauce is now like a BBQ sauce. Flavor is disappointing. It's very strange because this seems like a very unusual choice for potsticker sauce.

Here's a look at Africa!

The Italy pavilion is a little taste of @realtuttoitalia

Everyone will be Wang Chunging tonight!

You can always find some good stuff in Japan!

The new Hummus Fries in Morocco are FANTASTIC! Now on the "must have" list!

New #EpcotFoodFestival stickers are AWESOME! Eliminates line cutters & waiting for guests wanting stamps!

New France items also delicious! Onion soup & alcoholic push pops are thumbs up!

We are celebrating another "fish free year" in Canada! YAY!!!

Always awesome running into TPR fans @WDWToday #Epcot! We love you guys!!!

Menu items @WDWToday #EpcotFoodFestival Patagonia booth are always delicious!

New "Islands of the Caribbean" area had some great looking dishes!

The new "Next Eats" area has old favorites along with new items!

Some @WDWToday #EpcotFoodFestival items that will help you make your visit even easier!

Wrapping up this visit @WDWToday #EpcotFoodFestival with the always awesome and now "@TheChew approved" Pork Slider!

See ya later #EpcotFoodFestival! We will be back for more on Saturday!
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:29 pm.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:57 pm

I'm so excited for this! Everything looks amazing.

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Dude... I'm actually in the park right now, waiting for the Germany kiosk. Where were you guys?? :omg:
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:46 pm

YAY....my favorite time of the year on TPR - Food and Wine time! :b

Those hummus fries look amazing! I have never been a fan of chick peas so therefore never had any desire to try hummus until I tried some at Michael's son and daughters house in Virginia last year...now I am hooked and LOVE it! I have even made my own on two separate occasions using lots of jalapenos, fresh garlic and cilantro. :lover:

So far I have seen at least one menu item from every country that just sounds absolutely amaze-balls - sure wish I was in Florida right now. Can't wait to see more!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!