Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

P. 131: $12 million entrance & Boardwalk improvement project
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:20 am

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

May 31st, 2010 - Haunted Castle Grand Opening
June 18th, 2010 - Behind the scenes Haunted Castle Tour
June 23rd, 2010 - Haunted Castle vandalized

January, 2011 - Giant Dipper commemorates one millionth rider
March 15th, 2011 - Looff Carousel celebrates 100th annivesrary

March 18th, 2012 - Hurricane to be removed at the end of the 2012 season
June 5th, 2012 - Behind the scenes (under the boardwalk) tour
July 28th, 2012 - 60 Millionth rider on Big Dipper, Hurricane closing on September 3rd
August 15th, 2012 - Replacement for Hurricane to be announced on August 27th, old coaster to be relocated to Western Playland Amusement Park
August 27th, 2012 - Undertow is announced

August 31st, 2016 - $12 million entrance & Boardwalk improvement project

This just arrived in my inbox from the PR dept at SCBB:

For Immediate Release

Double Shot Opening to Aid Hunger Relief

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk new ride opening to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank

Santa Cruz, CA - March 2, 2005 Santa Cruz, CA - As the historic Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk prepares to launch its newest and tallestnext new thrill ride, the Double Shot, amusement park fans will get a chance to be the first to experience the 125-foot tall attraction. Starting Wednesday, March 2, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties will place the opportunity on eBay for “thrill-seekers” to bid on the chance to be the first to experience the Double Shot. This opportunity was presented to the Food Bank to help the organization raise much needed funds to help feed hungry families and children in Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties.

“This is such a unique and exciting opportunity, something that’s we’ve never been done before,” said Willy Elliott-McCrea, Executive Director, Second Harvest Food Bank. “The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has always been a huge supporters of the Food Bank, and we hope to see the residents of Santa Cruz and BayNorthern California Area residents come together as a powerful force for good.”

The highest bidder will receive two tickets to the opening event, including two seats on the official first ride, and a framed certificate acknowledging that individual as the first official rider. They will also receive two invitations to the private opening luncheon event at the Boardwalk, and a framed photo of the First Ride. All proceeds from the auction will go towards programs and services for Second Harvest Food Bank.

The Double Shot is the newest installment for the 98-year-old park, and the only major seaside amusement park on the West Coast. Standing at 125-feet tall, the Double Shot launches riders skywards at more than 3 G's to a breathtaking view of the California Coast and then experience the weightlessness of negative G forces as they are shot back down for the ultimate thrill. The ride officially opens to the public on Saturday, March 19.

“We have something in Santa Cruz that cannot be found anywhere else along the West Coast,” said Marq Lipton, Vice President of Marketing, Santa Cruz Seaside Co. “And we have the chance to utilize it in a way where we can help the needy in our community. We are thrilled to be given the opportunity to aid Second Harvest Food Bank in its fight against hunger.”

Interested individuals can find the link on the Food Bank’s homepage at foodbank.org

Learn more about the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk at http://www.beachboardwalk.com

The eBay item ID number is: 5562366892 or click here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5562366892[/url]
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:50 am.

Sanity is Overrated

Postby Shadowforce » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:03 pm

This kind of "bid for a first ride" happens every year? I've never seen any of it here in Europe! :) If they filled all the seats, so each ride was reasonably priced, I'd probaply do this. I enjoy doing charity work, and getting something for the money seems like a great deal to me! ;)

If it Wasn't For Cliffs I'd Have to Drive 7 Hours for Wood!!!

Postby crispy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:17 pm

This is the first time I've seen it, and the Charity is a good one, having lived in the area, it is the only major food bank for all the local charities, and supply's food to local chrurches, and many more charities for the poor in the Santa cruz, San Jose, Monterey area

Mmmm Vekoma

Postby c0sterfreek » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:58 pm

Wow thats alot of money just to go on the first ride. I wouldent pay that much too. (inless i was rish :D )

Chris

I teach at the school of donkey!

The Ripper, aka the Jetstar from SCBB coming down!

Postby buttonman700 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Drove past the park today to see that the Ripper is being dismantled and moved to god knows where. I will find out as soon as I can, rumor was that a state fair in either Texas or California bought the ride, but I can not confirm this rumor.

Sad to see it go, it was the reason I worked at Thrill-Ville to start, then I became manger... I am glad to hear it has been sold and not for scrap!

I will update when I learn more.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:36 pm

I rode it one time when it was still at SCBB. It wasn't a big ride, but it was still fun. Too bad it's going away, but at least it's not being scrapped.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Great news! I'm so glad to finally hear something happening! I would love to see it in California.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby sfmman2000 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Thanks for the news! Would love to ride it someday if it's coming anywhere in Northern California...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

SCBB's NEW Haunted Castle Construction Log

Postby coaster-crazy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Greetings, and hello TPR!

I joined this site back in early 2006 hoping to be active on the forums but I basically just enjoyed the site's updates and never posted once. I recently decided to come back (well, really come to the site) and do something useful with my account! Anyways, on to what the topic really is about.
======
This topic is for the new Haunted Castle ride going in to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, California. Their old dark ride was operating there since 1973 and it became old and the boardwalk thought it was time for an update. The ride's last operating day was on August 23rd, 2009 and was completely demolished on September 11th, 2009. I have been going to the site weekly to check out construction and it has progressed very far since the demolition back in September. I will be updating the topic weekly with pictures. The ride is scheduled to open in Summer 2010, though according to some construction workers, as early as Memorial Day weekend. Any who, here are some pictures of the demolition!
===============

NEXT UPDATE:
Coming this Tuesday expect more pictures from each week including pics from the day of posting next Tuesday. See more videos including official ones direct from the Boardwalk as well as new ones from me.

\/ Below are pictures of construction from September to December including captions on what's going on in each picture!
TPRSCBBHCpic1.jpg
Picture from beach side of construction in September. A crane is putting in those tall metal things for the wall on the basement level of the ride.
TPRSCBBHCpic2.jpg
HC pic from October 6th, 2009 showing off the sand being dug for the ground level of the ride.
TRPSCBBHCpic3.jpg
HC pic from October 20th, 2009 showing that the digging has been completed and the first layer of cement has been poured.
TPRSCBBHCpic4.jpg
Photo from October 27th, 2009 showing that the final layer of cement has been poured and that some pegs have shown up that will be pillars supporting the next floor.
TRPSCBBHCpic5.jpg
Picture from November 3rd, 2009 that shows that the pillars are much farther along and much more evident.
TRPSCBBHCpic6.jpg
Picture from November 17th, 2009 showing the complete pillars on the ground floor.
TRPSCBBHCpic7.jpg
Picture from December 1st, 2009 showing that the ground floor has been sealed and that work has begun for the Boardwalk level for cement.
TPRSCBBHCpic8.jpg
Picture from December 22nd, 2009 showing that the cement has been poured on the Boardwalk level of the ride!
=======
NEXT UPDATE:
Coming this Tuesday expect more pictures from each week including pics from the day of posting next Tuesday. See more videos including official ones direct from the Boardwalk as well as new ones from me.
Last edited by coaster-crazy on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm.
Check out the official TPR Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk thread!
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53779

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby BkkMan13 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:07 pm

I remember going on the original when I was little. I hated those things and shut my eyes and closed my ears the whole time, terrified. While my sister didn't care... To this day she can still kick the crap outta me :oops:

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!