TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Nice TR, I really need to get back to the beach some time soon while it's nice out there.

And just like that, I'm headed to the Boardwalk on Monday... can't wait!

Incidentally.. if you look up SCBB on Google Maps you'll notice the satellite photo was taken while Undertow was under construction and you can see all the track pieces in the parking lot across the street. Kinda cool.

• 3 months later...

The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has sent us a press release about their latest series of investments, plussing their entrance area and a section of the Boardwalk for guests to enjoy for years to come!

The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, recognized internationally as a must-see West Coast attraction, announced a $12 million improvement project scheduled to begin just after Labor Day. Concept drawings released today reveal a new main entrance and a fresh new look for a section of the Boardwalk between Neptune’s Kingdom and Undertow roller coaster.

The project will create an impressive main entrance for the Boardwalk, replacing a narrow walkway near Neptune’s Kingdom. The new entrance will include state-of-the-art ticketing windows, an entrance plaza, and a fresh new look for several games, concessions and attractions in the adjacent area. Further announcements about the project will be made in the coming months.

“We’re committed to investing in park improvements that make our community proud and greatly improve the Boardwalk experience for our guests,” said Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk president Karl Rice. “The unique character of the Boardwalk will be maintained and improved because nostalgia and history are such an important part of our story.”

Fright Walk and Lazer Maze, two of the Boardwalk’s most popular attractions, will both get fanciful new entrances. Fright Walk will also get a complete interior makeover, taking advantage of new basement/dungeon space. The spooky walk-through attraction was originally designed and built in 2004 by Boardwalk staff and remains a park favorite.

A number of local contractors including William S. Bagnall Architects, Slatter Construction and Nielsen Studios are working on the project. Roto, an Ohio design firm specializing in plans for some of the world’s largest theme parks, worked with Boardwalk staff to design the project which will connect the classic Moorish-style of the Cocoanut Grove building with the more colorful, eclectic style of the Boardwalk.

"This ten-month, $12 million project has been ten years in the planning," said Kris Reyes, director of community affairs for the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. "The construction phase is expected to employ nearly 200 local tradespeople and construction workers, and ultimately create 63 new seasonal jobs at the Boardwalk." The Boardwalk is the largest private and youth employer in Santa Cruz County, providing 300 full-time and more than 2,000 seasonal jobs.

The current project is part of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk’s ongoing effort to improve the experience for visitors approaching the Boardwalk and beach area. Street-side improvements over the past few years include a wider entrance for the Main Parking Lot with a new self-park ticketing system, new park signage and enhancements to Boardwalk Entrances 3 and 5, and new landscaping along Beach Street.

The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has a long history of reinvestment in the park and beach area, a business philosophy passed down from Laurence Canfield who invested heavily in park improvements while serving as company president from 1952 – 1984. Current Boardwalk president Karl Rice is the great-grandson of Laurence Canfield.

The current project is scheduled for completion by summer, 2017. For more information and a look at the project design, visit beachboardwalk.com/new2017 .

Boardwalk-Main-Entrance-drawing1.thumb.jpg.418b95da1eeecba0ed1a03cd7365d738.jpg

I really want to check out Fright Walk before it gets revamped as, I'm guessing "revamped" here means neutered. From what I can gather, it's a decent size maze as it is. I know it gets panned as being too dark / cheesy etc., but that's right up my alley.

Never mind; I guess they've already shut it down :cries:

I'm guessing "revamped" here means neutered.

I highly doubt that.

I hope not. I used to love the other ghost train they had until they updated it. I still like it, but I really dug the old cheesier version. I've never done Fright Walk though so I have nothing to compare it to, but it looks like it maximizes the cheese factor right now.

^Yeah, I agree - the old Haunted Castle was way better than the new one. Although props to the Boardwalk for realizing that and continuing to invest in the new one. Many gags have been added since it opened and the lighting has been tweaked for a creepier effect.

I always thought the Fright Walk was more on the legitimately scary side, but maybe I'm just easily spooked

The old Haunted Castle was old, and quite crap.

Oh, I loved that about it. I know I'm in the minority, the older and cheesier the better IMO. I'm a huge fan of old pretzel rides and tricks, and so the old ghost train was one of my favorites. The new one looks cool and is great for the crowds, but it doesn't have the same appeal for me.

And I'm sad to see that the whole building is coming down, but hopefully the new version will be great too. I hope someone takes pictures of the inside before it'd demolished as there's quite a history to that place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Santa-Cruz-Beach-Boardwalk-two-new-rides-9983930.php

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk petitioning to add two new rides

By Katie Dowd Published 1:37 pm, Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The skyline of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk will be changing if amusement park officials have their plans approved.

The amusement park is trying to add two new rides to the boardwalk, one called Shockwave and another called Typhoon. Their plan goes in front of the Santa Cruz City Council on Thursday.

The two rides are quite visually striking, clocking in at 65 feet tall for Shockwave and 60 feet for Typhoon. For comparison, the Giant Dipper is 70 feet tall.

Typhoon may be a familiar concept to boardwalk aficionados. Santa Cruz had a previous version of the ride (also called Typhoon) that was removed in 2009. The ride, a midway classic, has two arms that swing riders around in a loop.

Shockwave, which would be built on top of a new gaming and retail space, will spin up to 24 riders around in circles on a track.

• 1 month later...
I'm planning on visiting the Boardwalk the week after Christmas. I'm not familiar with the weather in the area, but do the roller coasters typically run this late in the season?

That week the park is sort of half open, with some of the rides operating (they do this most of the winter season). I'm pretty sure the Giant Dipper is always (or almost always) one of the open rides, not sure if Undertow usually is. Best thing to do is probably call the park the morning of (or day before, even a couple days before) and they should be able to tell you what's open. Tickets and parking are cheaper on these limited ride days

If it's pouring rain they might not be open, but someone who's been in more winters will probably know.

https://beachboardwalk.com/Hours/Limited-Ride-Days

• 4 months later...

Assuming a WCB happens this year (it has to I can finally make it again!) I will be driving down from the bay area to LA. Is it worth stopping here or CGA? The latter has Goldstriker but this has so much history.

Not sure I can do both

Assuming a WCB happens this year (it has to I can finally make it again!) I will be driving down from the bay area to LA. Is it worth stopping here or CGA? The latter has Goldstriker but this has so much history.

Not sure I can do both

It can be done, it would just involve a lot of driving and ungodly patience. At the moment, CGA doesn't have their September schedule posted and that time is usually a Haunt schedule. So, I could not guarantee you making both parks happen. Hypothetically speaking, you could make it from one park to the other in an hour, but that's without any traffic problems. Even so, I would recommend you skip any flat rides at CGA and get in your flat rides at SCBB. Dedicate your time at CGA to riding Goldstriker, Flight Deck, and Patriot until you get your fill (ride Demon if you're feeling like getting beat up, and skip Wildmouse at CGA because SCBB has Undertow and its a better ride. It also spins, Wildmouse does not). From SCBB it would take you about 5 hours to get to Magic Mtn. I assume you'd try to fit this all in on the day before WCB (Friday)....

I was so sad when the old Typhoon was removed. Sea Swings is fun though. Now that I live in Arizona, It always make it a point to visit SCBB when I vacation to Cali. Super stoked to see all the new stuff this year