Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 841 - Eye of the Storm (Larson SuperLoop) added for 2017
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:40 pm

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK), this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb
June 21th, 2007 - Girl loses feet during Superman: Tower of Power accident
November 30th, 2007 - Judge grants park permission to remove Superman: Power of Tower

November 26th, 2008 - accident settled out-of-court

July 5th, 2009 - Twisted Twins trains sent to SFStL
September 21st, 2009 - SFKK begins dismantling Chang for waterpark expansion

February 4th, 2010 - After debt restructuring Six Falgs decides to not renew lease on park
February 15th, 2010 - Vendors apply with Kentucky State Fair Board to run the park
February 22nd, 2010 - State of Kentucky sues Six Flags to prevent removing any more rides
May 7th, 2010 - Confirmation that park will not open in 2010
May 27th, 2010 - Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Company (KKRC), headed by Ed Hart, releases their proposal to revive the park and his plan appears to be approved
July 23rd, 2010 - Lawsuit settled with Six Flags
September 11th, 2010 - $50 Million bond issue approval needed to get park up and running and with proposed waterpark expansion
October 28th, 2010 - Park will not open in 2011 as bond issue falls through and KKRC plans to ask the state legislature for $50 Million

February 27th, 2011 - Park unlikely to open in 2012 as state legislators do not approve bond issue
April 6th, 2011 - Idea to have burden of bonds issued by both City of Louisville and State of Kentucky is not received well
August 23rd, 2011 - Ed Hart appears to have options to obtain the $20 million in financing needed to re-open the park
September 22rd, 2011 - Deadlines are missed to re-open park in 2012, new target date is 2013.
September 30th, 2011 - Kentucky Fair Board no longer entertaining the ideas of Ed Hart led KKRC
October 14th, 2011 - Ed hart suing the State of Kentucky for the personal funds he has invested in attempt to re-open the park

January 16th, 2012 - Koch family of Holiday World looking to operate SFKK
February 7th, 2012 - Koch family confirms involvement in park revival
February 16th, 2012 - State Fair President confident in May 2013 opening
February 20th, 2012 - Could the park be renamed as Bluegrass Boardwalk?
February 21st, 2012 - Koch Family to attend Thursday's Fair Board meeting
February 23rd, 2012 - Bluegrass Boardwalk plan approved, park set to reopen in May 2013!
April 30th, 2012 - Bluegrass Boardwalk releases '10 year goals' plan
May 24th, 2012 - Bluegrass Boardwalk might have to reopen without coasters, could delay opening until 2014
May 30th, 2012 - Details on the park's current condition & reopening needs
May 30th, 2012 - Park re-opening in 2013 is officially no longer an option
June 15th, 2012 - Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. withdraws from project
June 28th, 2012 - State Fair Board holds first meeting for park's fate
August 15th, 2012 - Ed Hart is back with a new park reopening proposal!
August 17th, 2012 - State Fair Board rejects Ed Hart's proposal
August 17th, 2012 - Kentucky Governer Beshear wants decision on the park soon
August 20th, 2012 - RFP process now in the works for Kentucky Kingdom
September 13th, 2012 - Proposals for park revival due on October 19th, 2012
October 11th, 2012 - Kentucky Kingdom support rally happening on Saturday
October 24th, 2012 - Hart's proposal likely to be rejected by Fair Board
November 10th, 2012 - Ed Hart expect to meet with state officials on November 14th
November 25th, 2012 - Governor Beshear hopeful for a proper park agreement
December 2nd, 2012 - Both sides remain mum on Kentucky Kingdom deal

January 10th, 2013 - State Fair Board "closer" to lease agreement
January 22nd, 2013 - State Fair Board to consider Hart deal on Thursday
January 24th, 2013 - Ed Hart's group granted lease to operate Kentukcy Kingdom for 50 years, plans Spring 2014 opening
February 12th, 2013 - Ed Hart's group assesses condition of Kentucky Kingdom
March 26th, 2013 - Work needed found to be more expensive than planned
April 11th, 2013 - Tax incentives approved by governmental officials
June 27th, 2013 - Details for park's biggest expansion in history!

May 20th, 2014 - Preview day for the new Kentucky Kingdom
September 2015, 2014 - Park announces 2014 result and 2015 additions (includes two new rides and three re-introductions)

July 3rd, 2015 - T3 re-opens
July 20th, 2015 - Kentucky Kingdom announces conversion of Twisted Twins to an RMC, Storm Chaser

November 29th, 2016 - Eye of the Storm (Larson SuperLoop) announced for 2017 season

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/kentuckyk ... ement.html

Splashwater Kingdom is bigger, better and wetter!

There's excitement around every turn as
Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom adds the largest waterpark expansion in our history, featuring a new children's play area and state-of-the-art water coaster.

Crocodile Isle, a splash interactive play area, will be the ultimate place for kids. They'll get soaked by a giant tipping coconut and can explore elephant and flamingo slides, shark squirts and refreshing
palm trees that spray cool water on hot
summer days.

Deluge is our new cutting-edge water coaster that uses rocket-propelled water, magnets and gravity to blast riders through high-bank turns, tunnels and hills. It's the world's only 4-person "HydroMagnetic Rocket Booster" rafting ride that can be shared with family and friends. Plummet down roller coaster-like drops, then rocket uphill into an enclosed tunnel while getting sprayed with water from all sides. This water coaster is sure to be a hit among roller coaster fanatics as well as water park guests.

The waterpark expansion also includes other perks like shade
umbrellas, exclusive cabanas with misting fans, a new beach shop and Ben and Jerry's ice cream parlor.

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom opens April 6th and the newly expanded Splashwater Kingdom debuts May 26th. The waterpark is free with your theme park admission.

Watch the video of Deluge here:
http://streams.sixflags.com/Video/Jan25 ... ge_300.wmv

Check out these photos:
bilde.jpg
"Deluge is our new cutting-edge water coaster that uses rocket-propelled water, magnets and gravity to blast riders through high-bank turns, tunnels and hills."
bilde2.jpg
"Plummet down roller coaster-like drops, then rocket uphill into an enclosed tunnel while getting sprayed with water from all sides."
bilde3.jpg
"This water coaster is sure to be a hit among roller coaster fanatics as well as water park guests."
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:21 pm.

Postby Wes » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Dayumn, that looks awesome. I guess I'll have to bring my swim wear to SFKK on the mid-west trip just to ride this. It looks like f**king mania!

The classic!

Postby dr.gumbo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Looks fun and insane at the same time, I wonder whos making it

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:03 pm

It looks pretty awesome! Definitely a nice addition to a relatively pathetic water park.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:03 pm

I've gotta pop the question- Is that a credit? It's somewhat gravity powered and it travels along a track... :?r Never-the-less, it looks completely awesome, and could really draw me into a water park, which I usually skip in favor of theme parks.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby coastrfreak2000 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:04 pm

This looks really cool! But why do they consider this a "water coaster"?

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby jackskellington101 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Hydromagnetic? How does this thing magnetically launch? LIM launched conveyor belts or do they magically magnetically charge water? I'm hoping the second one because that would be cool. I'd buy Magnet Water. :P

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:08 pm

The water coaster term seems to be applied to any water slide that has hills similar to a roller coaster.

Example: Halfpipes and Tornados go uphill and defy gravity, but do not 'look' like a roller coaster. These 'water coasters' that have 'bunny hills' on them seem to fit the bill a bit better and are using the term. I've seen Water Coasters with uphill sections with no water power, zip strip, or LIM technology a long time ago...they're just getting more advanced now.

Anyway, looks like fun! I've always said I like waterparks as much as amusement parks!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is ProSlides new version of their water coaster technology.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Jayjay719 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:12 pm

Looks pretty awesome! Its nice to see other parks get good additions. I will have to get on it whenever I make my trip to Kentucky Kingdom!
I was at the first game ever at the New Yankee Stadium. 4/3/09

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby thefitness » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:12 pm

That looks awesome!Now if only Blizzard Beach would get one of these.

Hydromagnetic=cool.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!