TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Care to point out a single instance in the parks announcement or advertisement where they actually stated it would be a 150 foot drop? I see 150 foot height, but nothing about a 150 foot drop. We all know those can be two very different numbers.

There is no false advertisement here, only false hopes.

Actually it says 150' Verticle Lift. Are we done now!!!!

Care to point out a single instance in the parks announcement or advertisement where they actually stated it would be a 150 foot drop? I see 150 foot height, but nothing about a 150 foot drop. We all know those can be two very different numbers.

But the first 20' is transition to vertical and the top 20' is transition to horizontal so technically it's 110' of vertical..

Before I get attacked I was poking fun at the original STUPID comment (s)

Bigger drops aren’t always better drops...

Agreed 100%!!!

It's not the length... It's not the size... It's how many times it can make you rise... Out of your seat that matters.

I too am in the Maverick example boat. Maverick is proof that size doesn't always matter. It may not have the tallest drop out there, but my god, it will kick your ass!!

Maybe it's the angle, but it looks like the structure of Hang Time is going to loom over the mine train ride in a big way. You also get a sense of how steep that initial brake section really is.

17684460_ScreenShot2017-11-16at2_31_40PM.thumb.png.1223bf83fc093f9eb1564961173136b4.png

Also, what's going on with Sol Spin? I haven't ridden it yet but just bought a 2018 pass and wouldn't mind dropping by to check it out in the next few weeks.

Yeah for example even Apocalypse's first short drop is better than Goliath's long drop to me now.

When I caught the coaster bug last summer and visited SFMM for the first time, I rode TC and Apocalypse before Goliath and was honestly bored with Goliath's drop. Depending on where you sit, you may slightly lift up out of your seat. The head-chopper tunnel at the bottom is fun, though.

But the first 20' is transition to vertical and the top 20' is transition to horizontal so technically it's 110' of vertical..

Before I get attacked I was poking fun at the original STUPID comment (s)

Sorry joshfreuund, did not mean to attack you as I was also commenting on the other comment. Cheers

^It's definitely shaping up to be one of their better coasters with that requirement (then again, is it really that hard to top Jaguar and Pony?)

Don't forget about Montezooma, it also has a 48" inch height requirement and only lap bars!

^It is still closed according to the website. It’s been down for about two months now. I heard they were testing with water dummies a few weeks ago, but I guess it’s still having issues.

Isn't this nothing more than a carnival ride? Hard to believe there are so may issues.

Sol Spin is built differently from a standard Top Scan, and the differences in the ride system have been pretty much nothing but trouble. It's been getting tweaked on and off since it opened, with this last closure happening abruptly at the beginning of Haunt season. Even when it was running, it had to run a really short and tame program, so I'm hoping whatever fixes they're doing will help make the ride a lot better than it's been.

^It's definitely shaping up to be one of their better coasters with that requirement (then again, is it really that hard to top Jaguar and Pony?)

Don't forget about Montezooma, it also has a 48" inch height requirement and only lap bars!

Didn't forget, that's why I said "one of".

Sol Spin is not a carnival Top Scan that was made permanent. It is a whole new design prototype. For starters it has an extra seat at the end of each arm, which just makes it all around bigger. The support structure is bigger. The motor is bigger. Mondial hasn't seemed to have such gtmrest luck with prototypes at Knott's. Maybe that ground is cursed.

As someone who works in a industry which buys a lot of complicated machinery. Yes, these machines usually go through testing before being shipped. But testing something for a week or two does not equal the same thing as real life usage, bugs are always bound to show up in real life that don't appear in a few days of testing. That's just how machines work.

As someone who works in a industry which buys a lot of complicated machinery. Yes, these machines usually go through testing before being shipped. But testing something for a week or two does not equal the same thing as real life usage, bugs are always bound to show up in real life that don't appear in a few days of testing. That's just how machines work.

Except most machines are put through weeks of intense rigorous testing, sometimes months. Sol Spin experienced it's first problems during it's initial test runs in the park. Then after finally opening it experienced more problems within the first week of full operation. It makes me wonder how many issues they found during factory testing before even shipping it to Knott's.

^It is still closed according to the website. It’s been down for about two months now. I heard they were testing with water dummies a few weeks ago, but I guess it’s still having issues.

Isn't this nothing more than a carnival ride? Hard to believe there are so may issues.

Riptide says "Hi."

Riptide says "Hi."

They really have had shitty luck with big flat-rides in the last few decades, huh? Between Riptide, Windseeker, Hammerhead, and now Sol Spin, they sure do know how to pick them.