TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

The Only Dive Coaster on the West Coast to debut at Knott’s Berry Farm in 2018

Buena Park, Calif. – Knott’s Berry Farm will welcome HangTime, a brand new steel rollercoaster - and the only dive coaster on the West Coast - to the theme park in the 2018 summer season. HangTime will tower 150 feet over the Boardwalk area, showcasing gravity-defying inversions, mid-air suspensions and twisting dive tracks.

HangTime will send riders up a vertical lift hill into a raised 96-degree drop - the steepest drop in California. The coaster’s train will come to a halt once the highest peak is reached, and will leave riders suspended at the crest for several seconds at a 60-degree angle, giving the illusion of a disappearing track. Then the train will suddenly descend in a beyond-vertical drop, through 2,198 feet of steel track and five gravity-defying inversions. HangTime will be only the second rollercoaster in the Western Hemisphere to feature a negative-g stall loop, which gives riders the sensation of floating.

“HangTime’s disappearing track creates a memorable illusion of the unknown as riders feel like they are hanging over a cliff, staring at the ground in nervous anticipation,” said Jon Storbeck, vice president and general manager, Knott’s Berry Farm. “People who crave that adrenaline rush will want to ride this coaster again and again. Introducing a coaster like HangTime firmly positions Knott’s Berry Farm as a must see attraction among Southern California theme parks, and we look forward to welcoming our guests to this new experience.”

HangTime’s ride structure itself will come to life and illuminate the Boardwalk area with colorful nighttime track chase lighting that will accompany the coaster train’s travels across the smooth steel track. The coaster continues Knott’s legacy in rollercoaster innovation and industry firsts; the park introduced the very first corkscrew inversion rollercoaster with Corkscrew, and the first flywheel launch coaster with Montezuma’s Revenge.

HangTime is manufactured by Gerstlauer Amusement Rides, GmbH, and is the company’s next- generation “infinity coaster” model.

HangTime Basic Stats:

• Height: 150 feet

• Track Length: 2,198 feet

• Capacity: 3 trains with 16 single passenger carrying units each

• Maximum velocity 57 mph

Ride Features

• 150-foot Vertical Lift

• 96-degree First Drop

• 5 Inversions

• Holding Break at 60 degrees- ride will hang guests looking down over the first drop before starting

• The Negative-G Stall Loop- only the 2nd roller coaster in the Western Hemisphere to have this feature offering unprecedented hang time

• Colorful nighttime track chase lighting that will accompany the coaster train as it travels across the track

959996690_HangTimeDayTimeRenderingWithLogo.thumb.jpg.1148d2408b2add683bd50200fb1d3f31.jpg

1465398848_HangTimeNighttimeRendering.thumb.jpg.4e0e8396d8d6405acec31cd85231debd.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.86cb8172f67fc220a9afac68c6870cc0.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.78e946c080cbbd5d89c199f332592678.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.1e03735154681b8c22f02e34c29cec97.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

this looks great too.

all kinds of good announcements this year!

unfortunately it will likely be at least 2019 until we're able to get back to West Coast (and maybe finally go to SFMM). .. but this is certainly something to look forwards to!

Looks great! Seems like a good fit for Knott's and a great use of the space. A vast improvement over Boomerang and Riptide.

And it's NOT ORANGE!!!

2018 looks to a be a great year all-around!

Edited by Wingwright

Thanks for posting that. Perfect timing as the announcement had just started.

Unreal. When he first said 'Dive' I immediately thought of Valravn/Griffon. That drop is going to be spectacular. Never been to Knotts before but its on my list for 2018 along with CGA and Cedar Point.

Expectations for today's announcements have been exceeded.

Awesome addition...Would love to see a POV. I think their setup for this live announcement was a little funky though. Make a quick announcement then end video. It was a little weird. Anyways...I like the coaster. And was it me, or did he kind of sh*t on Dare Devil DIve with Hangtime's stats. I thought it was funny.

Thanks for posting that. Perfect timing as the announcement had just started.

Unreal. When he first said 'Dive' I immediately thought of Valravn/Griffon. That drop is going to be spectacular. Never been to Knotts before but its on my list for 2018 along with CGA and Cedar Point.

Expectations for today's announcements have been exceeded.

So far, 2018 seems like a great year for California!

Looks good

The funny thing is this seems underwhelming after the other announcements but if it were a 2016 announcement it would easily have been the best steel coaster to open in America this year. It looks great, today has spoiled the crap out of us though. Lol

Next year is shaping up to be incredible.

Edited by coasterbill

Personally I was way hyped up with the "renewed relationship" comment in that interview and hoped that meant another possible Intamin coming so I can't say I'm not a *little* disappointed, but this looks like it'll be a ton of fun and a nice addition to this lineup.

HangTime’s ride structure itself will come to life and illuminate the Boardwalk area with colorful nighttime track chase lighting that will accompany the coaster train’s travels across the smooth steel track.

I'm a huge sucker for great lighting packages and love that Monster and Hydrus have these chaser/running lights, they look amazing, so I think its very cool that this one will as well.

Do we know if this has lapbars? Sorry if I missed that.