American Dream Discussion Thread

P. 22: April 2019 opening is announced
Users viewing this topic: bubber11, CoasterAuditor and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

American Dream Discussion Thread

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at American Dream , this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion.

American Dream website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

February 1st, 2010 - New Jersey Governor demands owners either make progress or forfeit the property
December 26th, 2010 - Triple Five (company behind Mall of America) takes control of the project

May 3rd, 2011 - Complex to be rebranded as American Dream
July 1st, 2011 - New Jersey ponies up $200 Million to re-invigorate project for a 2013/2014 opening.
November 23, 2011 - Public hearing on the feasibility of building the amusement area on wetlands

June 25th, 2012 - New York Jets and Giants file injunction to halt construction
July 10th, 2012 - Dreamworks theme park announced for Meadowlands!
December 10th, 2012 - Project one small step closer to becoming a reality

January 13th, 2013 - Project may be closer to resuming work

April 28th, 2014 - Work about to restart with projected 2016 opening date

June 17th, 2015 - State and Triple Five agree on bonding and park open now projected for 2017

September 13th, 2016 - Intellectual Property partners announced: Nickelodeon Universe for the amusement park Dreamworks for water park

October 29th, 2017 - Gerstlauer track spotted at American Dream

August 30th, 2018 - April 2019 opening date is announced

February 13, 2008 -- There's some wheely big news across the Hudson - the largest Ferris wheel in the nation is about to be built in New Jersey.
The massive ride will rise 286 feet into the sky, easily topping Dallas' Texas Start Ferris wheel, which stands tall at 213 feet. It will be part of Meadowlands Xanadu, a $2 billion entertainment center being built near Giants Stadium in East Rutherford.
The wheel will rise alongside a shopping and entertainment megacomplex that will house such attractions as a 780-foot indoor ski slope and a manmade lake stocked with fish for anglers.
The 2-million-square-foot center is slated for completion in November, which might be all well and good - except for the Ferris wheel, critics say.
Attorney Lane Biviano, a resident of Rutherford, is leading a fight against the giant ride, complaining that it will block the view of Manhattan by residents of his town.
He says the builders have given no consideration to the people who live near the Meadowlands.
"It's like bullies from another neighborhood have come in and decided to take over your neighborhood," he said. "It's someone coming over to our turf."
Biviano says he lives in a condo on a hillside west of the Meadowlands, and will have to stare at the Ferris wheel instead of marveling at the view of New York. He started a Web site to get the protest going: savetheskyline.com.
Biviano's only consolation is that the FAA forced the developers to scrap plans to make the wheel nearly 400 feet tall - because it might have interfered with traffic from Teterboro Airport.
The developers didn't return calls for comment yesterday.

Link

Very interesting, but I want a truly giant wheel, like those being built in Asia to be built here in the states. Cities like LA, New York, Miami, New Orleans, Houston, Vegas, or even Memphis would all be good locations for a giant wheel.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:40 pm.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby coasterguy99 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:44 pm

I think it will be pretty slick. I've never been on a giant wheel or a ferris wheel. I think it would be pretty cool to go on that London Eye thing, but then again I am scared of elevators and when me and my step bro. went to KD I was freaked out when we up the Eiffel Tower

Denny Crane!

Postby USCoaster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:20 pm

From what I've heard, it was originally supposed to be around 400 ft tall but that it was rejected by the FAA. I assume its pretty close to an airport if the FAA has some say in the heights in the area.

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:31 am

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... cl=6448494

New record breaking wheel in Singapore.
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:53 am

What about that 682 ft wheel in China?

I Love Bunnies

Postby Teacups Make Me Sick » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:25 am

This Xanadu project is becoming a joke. The contractors have changed hands over a few times and the layout has also changed and seeminly everevolving. And the completion date keeps getting pushed back further and further.

But they will have an indoor ski slope and tons of shops.

Most people from NJ do not think this project is a great idea. If you arent from the area, you have to take route 4 to get to it. Route 4 is a main road that takes you into the Lincoln Tunnel (a major artery into NYC) AND its next to Giants Stadium/a show arena/The Meadowlands Racetrack. When a game lets out takes about 45 min to travel a mile down route 4...so I dunno who in there right mind will sit in traffic to go this this mall or ferris wheel.

I guess it will be something interesting to look at while sitting in traffic.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:29 pm

Tanks4me05 wrote:What about that 682 ft wheel in China?

That is under construction at the moment. The wheel in Singapore is currently the tallest in the world, but the one in Beijing will be taller when it opens later this year.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:42 pm

It seems that the Xanadu Meadowlands project is in trouble, and the Governor of New Jersey wants some action taken towards the project or else the property will be pulled.

http://retailtrafficmag.com/news/xanadu ... _01262010/

Like the poetic fantasy that inspired its name, it seems the Xanadu Meadowlands retail and entertainment complex in northern New Jersey is destined to remain a pipe dream. The 2.3-million-square-foot development has been plagued by bad luck since its conception and had to halt construction last year after one of its principal lenders pulled its financing. Now, the New Jersey Governor’s office has essentially labeled the project a failure, calling for Xanadu’s current developer, Los Angeles-based Colony Capital LLC, to complete construction or turn the site over to the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority (NJSEA), which owns the land.

On Jan. 22, the office of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie made public a draft transition report by the New Jersey Gaming/Sports and Entertainment Committee which outlines a number of challenges facing Xanadu Meadowlands. Among these, the report cites a “failed leasing plan,” a “frozen” capital structure and virtual abandonment of construction activity. Much of the project’s superstructure is completed, but the site remains dormant.

“The Xanadu project needs both cash and tenants to complete their obligations to NJSEA. Both are missing,” the document reads. “Hence the original business model appears to have failed. The NJSEA need to engage the owners to either complete and open, or surrender the property.”

Some of the problems with the development have been triggered by the credit crunch—for example, Colony Capital lost a large portion of its construction financing after one of the project’s principal lenders, Xanadu Mezz Holdings, a non-bankrupt affiliate of Lehman Brothers, decided to back out of the deal. Since then, Colony and its affiliates have been shopping for an alternate lender, but have yet to secure the $500 million necessary to complete construction. But the project had been dragging even before that. It was originally slated to open in 2007 and its opening has been pushed back repeatedly. As it stands, the developers have no planned date for the project’s opening.

Meanwhile, some tenants that have previously committed to Xanadu have delayed opening because of the uncertainty surrounding the project. Earlier this month, Tommy Millner, CEO of hunting, fishing, camping and outdoor recreation retailer Cabela’s Inc., told investors it was highly unlikely that the chain would open its planned store at the project because of all the problems surrounding the complex. A spokesperson for Children’s Place, another Xanadu tenant, said the company had signed a 5,000-square-foot lease for the property, but would not proceed with the build-out until the future of the project had been determined.

“Retailers are only going to go where they need to be right now because they are facing internal budget constraints and ... there is uncertainty with what’s going to happen with that project,” says Michael Fasano, vice president and regional manager with the Elmwood Park, N.J. office of Marcus & Millichap Real Estate Investment Services. “There are two or three different dynamics happening at the same time so retailers are saying ‘We’ll sit and wait.’”

On the flip side, at least one large tenant that has committed to Xanadu has balked at taking an alternate location elsewhere in the area, notes Jerry Putterman, senior vice president in the Fairfield, N.J. office of real estate services firm Grubb & Ellis. If the complex ever opens, that tenant would clearly prefer to be at Xanadu, he says.

According to the report from the New Jersey Governor’s office, most of the major tenants at the development have an escape clause built into their leases that would allow them to pull out of the project if leasing remains below a certain level.

More troubling still, Xanadu’s chances of securing enough financing to finish construction remain low, according to William Procida, president of William Procida Inc., a Fort Lee, N.J.-based provider of management and capital services for real estate companies. “The project was very aggressive to begin with, but the capital markets being what they are, you combine it with losing tenants, and it doesn’t look good,” Procida says. “They are lucky the government has been so patient with them.”

In Jerry Putterman’s view, the project might have a better chance of securing a large equity commitment in place of a loan.

The Xanadu development was ill-conceived from the beginning, notes Procida—he thinks the plan put forward by Hartz Mountain Industries back when the NJSEA was looking at development proposals in 2002 and 2003 would have a better chance of succeeding. Back then, Hartz Mountain and partner Forest City Ratner Cos. presented an $815 million proposal to the NJSEA, which combined a convention center, several hotels and office buildings with a few stores and an indoor racing center. During the selection process, Hartz Mountain criticized Xanadu’s original developer, the Mills Corp., for misrepresenting what it deemed to be essentially another enclosed mall as an entertainment complex.

“We have plenty of shopping centers in New Jersey,” Procida notes. “They were trying to make the shopping center of all shopping centers, and while it’s a highly visible spot, the egress is not the greatest. Everything is going against them—people are not spending, banks aren’t lending, and they are already burdened with debt in excess of what it’s worth.”

A spokesman for Governor Christie’s office said the state’s Sports and Entertainment Committee was still in the process of determining its recommendations for the project. Both Colony Capital and NJSEA declined to comment directly, referring inquiries to an outside public relations representative who did not returns calls.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

TPR's Friendliest Guy

Postby Big Mike » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:22 pm

I pass this every weekend going to NYC, and it is going nowhere.

Shame, I was looking forward to it!

Peace, Big Mike

ONLY 22 COASTERS LEFT IN THE USA TO RIDE!!!

COASTERS RIDDEN: 1,309

PARKS VISITED: 447

My uncle owns a country place that no one knows about

Postby PriestofSyrinx » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 pm

The real question is that will they find Jimmy Hoffa's body when they tear down Giants Stadium :lmao:

No but seriously, this economy has screwed everything up! Now its gonna look like unfinished crap for about two or three years.

Was really looking forward to riding that observation wheel though... :|

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!