TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Virtual Reality of Roller Coaster

The-Oculus-Rift-headset-i-009.jpg.ae1f9e16624a846f2c2e0df38a17b39b.jpg

Oculus

After reading the article about Oculus and VR in Wired Magazine,

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/oculus-rift-4/

I wonder what if there's VR(Virtual Reality)of roller coasters like this?

walk-in-amusement-park.thumb.jpg.3fbf7e847c0cbc7d307a8399e82277c5.jpg

Skyscraper Theme Park

http://juhyunkim.com/archives/category/skyscraper-theme-park

Are there any recent development for VR and roller coaster?

Edited by Freiday

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see using Oculus / Morpheus / etc on an actual roller coaster video for a very long time - you'd pretty much have to mount a spherical camera at eye level in a coaster car, shoot basically a bunch of videos at once, and composite them all together in a spherical viewport to get the effect right. To do it on a regular mounted on-ride video, you'd have to restrain the viewer's head to a fixed position otherwise they could get motion sick.

On the other hand, software applications like NoLimits Coaster and / or Theme Park Studio can easily make this happen.

I don't see using Oculus / Morpheus / etc on an actual roller coaster video for a very long time - you'd pretty much have to mount a spherical camera at eye level in a coaster car, shoot basically a bunch of videos at once, and composite them all together in a spherical viewport to get the effect right. To do it on a regular mounted on-ride video, you'd have to restrain the viewer's head to a fixed position otherwise they could get motion sick.

On the other hand, software applications like NoLimits Coaster and / or Theme Park Studio can easily make this happen.

Yeah, was thinking it'd probably be way easier to do on something like NL than an actual vid, but if someone were able to take the time and money to be able to try it with a real coaster, and did it right, that'd be amazing!

Also remember a while back, la ronde was testing some sort of VR system to go with their B&M hyper, Goliath. Guess it didn't work though, as I haven't heard anything about it in the last while. It's too bad, that would've been kind of cool.

Also remember a while back, la ronde was testing some sort of VR system to go with their B&M hyper, Goliath. Guess it didn't work though, as I haven't heard anything about it in the last while. It's too bad, that would've been kind of cool.

That sounds bizarre! Does anyone have more details?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...