Photo TR: Halloween in Florida with TPR

FINAL UPDATE: Tampa's HOS--and More Tor!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Photo TR: Halloween in Florida with TPR

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Part the First: Fear and Loathing at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Hi! This be me--Tor! Chuck, he let Tor talk about Hal'ween Flor'da stuff. He do same for Tor friend Criswell few years go. He kinda weird, but buy Tor beer, so he OK.

You might 'member Tor from Ed Wood movies, like Plan 9 fro' Outer Space an Bride of Monster. I get be star of Beast from Yucca Flats, but that no Ed movie. Me use pro rassle, too.

So, Chuck, he say we talk 'bout Disney Halloween stuff now. Tor little fuzzy 'bout that, but he get lots 'o' candies. Tor like candies. . . .

OK, that's enough for now, Tor. If you're good, maybe I'll let you write a few captions. I apologize, everyone. Mr. Johnson is very enthusiastic about being on TPR, but being dead for, oh, the last 40 years or so has made him a bit . . . befuddled.

Now, where were we? Oh, that's right, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom. There are no haunted houses or mazes or scare zones or Jello shots at this event, but there is a parade, fireworks, short lines for major attractions, and, of course, candy. Lots of candy.

TOR LIKE CANDIES! JEL' SHOTS TOO! :br

Yes, you've already said that, Tor, thank you. This event is always a nice way to kickoff the Florida Halloween season. Why, some members of TPR even dressed up for the occasion--a more than not-so-scary notion in itself.

Let's have a look, shall we?

HOKAY!

Thanks, Tor.
tor-johnson-1.jpg
Me Tor! Me a'prove this caption!
01.jpg
But before we enter the park, here's a shot for Scott. Look! They're moving Monorail Silver from one beam to another! Geeking out yet?

Tor want see candy!
02.jpg
Patience, Tor. Patience.
03.jpg
We're a bit early, so let's enjoy the decorations, OK?
04.jpg
This isn't quite as "not-so-scary" as it gets.
05.jpg
This is a little less "not-so-scary."
06.jpg
OK, now I'm getting a bit scared--and aroused.

Tor like Choc-o-Tacos!

That's nice, Tor.
07.jpg
Yes, I'm here! Hot damn tamale!
08.jpg
Tor t'ink baby scary! Baby scare Tor!
09.jpg
Aghh! Dey all scare Tor!

Have a Twizzler, big guy. You'll feel better.
10.jpg
Tor take dis pitchur!

It is a little blurry, but it does get one idea across . . .
11.jpg
. . . that it's raining.

Rainy days and Mondays a'ways get Tor down.
12.jpg
Well, to pass the time while it rained, Ol' Granpa Taco warmed himself by the fire and told us stories about the old days: "You see, back in my time, we didn't have your fancy blue-corn tortillas and nacho cheese and such. All we had was hamburger, some cheddar cheese, lettuce, and maybe a few chopped tomaters. But we all felt blessed."
13.jpg
Tor sick of rain! Tor want candies!
14.jpg
Not near 'nough! More candy for Tor!
15.jpg
OK, OK Tor--just don't piledrive me or something.
16.jpg
It's Disney--with extra horror!
17.jpg
It's the Castle of Doom!
18.jpg
My camera simply cannot capture the splendor that is Disco Ice Bat.

Ice Bat rock Tor world!
19.jpg
Yes, it's Toontown . . .
20.jpg
. . . only frightening!

Tor morel scairt of giant blue baby! More pitchurs to come.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby coasterguy4 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Great pictures and hilarious captions. Can't wait to see the rest!
WCB 08.09.10.11.12

FIRE HAIRED BOY

Postby krazekiddd » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Yay! More trip reports from my favorite TPR trip of the year!!

Can't wait to see the rest and nice getting to hang out with you.

2007 TPR MidWest Tour | 2008 TPR East Coast Tour |2009 TPR West Coast Tour | 2010 TPR USA Trips | 2011 TPR Tokyo | 2012 Europe Trip

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:26 pm

CHUCK! YOU POST MORE PITCHURS NOW!

OK, OK, sheesh! Giant ghoul wrestlers have no patience at all.
21.jpg
Tor get more candies now!
22.jpg
Dis too confusing for Tor! Mad Hatter and Alice girl stoopid!

Settle down, big fella.
23.jpg
"You can learn an awful lot from the flowers,/Especially when they cause your doom . . ."
24.jpg
I think a ride on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority will sooth Tor's jangled nerves. Presenting Jon and Stacey . . .
25.jpg
. . . and me and Brad. Tor is passed out on the floor.
26.jpg
This is the only picture of Space Mountain in this TR.

No Space Moutin' make Tor sad.

Aw, I'm sorry Tor.
27.jpg
The Candy Blast caused many casalties.
28.jpg
Yes, red-hot Tootsie Pop shrapnel rained down on the crowd! Oh, the humanity!
29.jpg
Tor take this pitchur, too! Want live here someday!
30.jpg
Here's the Headless Horseman. You know what that means, right, Tor?
31.jpg
Mean Tor still more scairt of giant blue baby!
32.jpg
These cast members were instantly possessed by the "Boo to You" song.
33.jpg
"It's really not so scary . . ."

That song will be burned into my brain until Halloween is long past.
34.jpg
Arr! Scurvy pyrates!
35.jpg
The Gravediggers Drill Team--up close and personal.
36.jpg
I think this float is new for this year.

Tor no 'member it, neither. But Tor dead long time, so don't 'member much.
37.jpg
Tor tire of floats! Where candy?
38.jpg
Oh. Dere candy!
39.jpg
The not-so-scary walk out.
40.jpg
That's it for now. Say good night, Tor.

TIME FOR GO TO BED! TOR SLEEP!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Chuck, glad we got to hang out some last week.

Looking forward to the rest of the TR!

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:36 am

Just to let everyone know, there is no releation between Tor and myself.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:26 am

I think the ghost of Tor Johnson was responsible for the hacker attack.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Erik Johnson wrote:Just to let everyone know, there is no releation between Tor and myself.

Erik no deny destin'y! You mus' be Tor great nephew, or som'thin! NO DENY TOR!

Easy, Tor, easy--there are a lot of people named "Johnson," and they're not all as large as you.

Yeah! Tor BIG Johnson!

Er, yeah, sure. Let's move along to . . .

Halloween Horror Night at Universal Orlando

Yeah! Tor like Hor' Night! Want to write 'bout it, but Tor ha' too many Jello Shots, so little fuzzy ag'in. Chuck write, 'stead.

OK, Tor--if you insist.

HHN 2009, "Ripped from the Silver Screen," was excellent this year--the best of the five HHNs I've attended. I was particularly looking forward to the haunted houses inspired by the classic Universal Monsters--the Wolf Man, Dracula, and Frankenstein. They were all great, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Chucky (Child's Play) and Saw houses, too (never been a big fan of Saw, but it sure made for an good maze).

Here's how I rank the houses, starting with my favorite (it was a pretty tough choice).

Frankenstein: Creation of the Damned: This maze picks up where James Whale's The Bride of Frankenstein leaves off. The good doctor patches and stitches his ruined castle back together to continue his experiements in reanimation; of course, it doesn't go as well as he might have hoped. This is an excellent updating of the old movies, and I liked the "steampunk" look and feel of if. Very, very detailed.

Chucky: Friends till the End: One of the biggest suprises of the night. I've never found the Child's Play movies (outside of the first one) particulalry scary. (Hell, you can easily punt Chucky across the street.) But this maze involving possessed toys is beautifully done--scary and funny (often at the same time). It builds to a great finish, too.

Dracula: Legacy in Blood: Don't look for some guy in a tuxedo here. Universal has taken this legend back to the source that inspired Bram Stoker--the history of Transylvania's nororious Vlad the Impaler. It turns on one key line from Stoker's novel--"I shall turn your women against you." And the good count has been busy, not only turning our women against us, but impaling their men, as well. Again, amazing atmosphere.

The Wolf Man: My fondest memory of the first HHN I ever attended was the old "Monsterama" maze (2000, I think), which featured the "classic" versions of Universal's Monsters--the Wolf Man scared the crap out of everyone in my group when he practically bounded over our heads. This new maze is great, too--a very good expansion of the old Lon Chaney, Jr., flick from the 1940s, complete with a "living" forest.

Leave it to Cleaver: Welcome to Meetz Meats, where the choicest cut is prime rib of . . . YOU! (Yeah, I've used this joke in other "Haunt" write ups.) This tour of a 1950s meat-processing plant for cannibals is largely played for laughs, and works nicely (apparently, I'd look "good on the buffet"). The goofy plastic masks worn by most of the scareactors make them look like mutant versions of Bob's Big Boy.

Saw: I'm not a big fan of this series, but this is a very good maze. All the elements and traps from the movie are there, and Billy, the trike-riding puppet, is one of the creepiest little bastards ever.

Silver Screams: This year's "icon" maze comes off a bit weak, mainly because, I think, it tries to do too much. The movies represented here range from Army of Darkness to My Bloody Valentine to Shaun of the Dead, and there really isn't enough space and time to do them all justice. But the Usher is a good character, and the maze does have atmosphere to burn--the Shaun of the Dead section is particulary well done. At any other park haunt, this maze would be a headliner.

The Spawning: This is the most "generic" maze at HHN (mutant lizards on the loose in a city sewer system), but it's still a lot of fun. The "Sculdurs" (Scully/Muldur, anyone) are pretty good monsters.

We enjoyed a great behind-the-scenes tour of the three main houses this year, and Michael Roddy, the creative director of HHN, spent some time with us, too--my thanks to him and the Universal staff for treating us all so well. And seeing the houses lit up did nothing to diminish the scares that night.

I really liked four of the scarezones this year (the freaks, the chainsaw drill tream, the zombie war, and the Horrorwood Drive-In). But zones tend to be a hit or miss, depending on crowds and timing. The only minor bummer was probably this year's Bill and Ted show but I think the problem was the weakness of our pop culture last summer (not a very rich vein to mine there). Fun, but not as good as in past years.

Oh, and Rip Ride Rockit was damn good, too.

My thanks, again, to Universal, and especially to Robb and Elissa for setting up another great day and night at Universal Orlando. Here's a look at it.
Johnson_Tor_002_Plan9_Color.jpg
Dis how Tor pick up wimmins at Hor' Night! Me look more han'some in color.
01.jpg
Here's the reason we're all here, right, Tor?

Don' forget Jel' shots!
02.jpg
Another sign brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department. Now, did everybody get that? I repeat, did everybody get that? Is the signage clear?

Tor no get it.
03.jpg
"Hell-o-o-o-o, ladies! I was gonna take you on the ride of your life . . .
04.jpg
. . . but the bird broke it!"

Tor kill dumb bird!

Easy, Tor--they'll fix the ride.
05.jpg
And it was good--this element particularly.

Tor too big, no ride. Tor sad! Didn't even get kill dumb bird!
06.jpg
Hmm--unless I miss my guess, this is some sort of "scarezone."
07.jpg
My--that's a big one.
08.jpg
I'm willing to bet that flames will be shooting out of there tonight.
09.jpg
"Oh, goody! I've always wanted to tickle a Dutchman!"
10.jpg
HHN hasn't even started yet, and Jon is already freaked.
11.jpg
"MY GOD! WILLIAM SHATNER! I LOVE HIS PRICELINE ADS!"
12.jpg
"Magnum PI is the greatest show in history! Shakespeare, Moliere, Shaw--their stuff is nothing but crap next to Magnum!"
13.jpg
The "Unmasking the Horror Tour" includes these models.
14.jpg
I so want a "Leave It to Cleaver" bobblehead.
15.jpg
Here's the model theatre they used in their commercials and online.
16.jpg
Very nice work.
17.jpg
Hmm--I think this popcorn has been here a while.

You no want, Tor eat!
18.jpg
This year's affable HHN host.
19.jpg
Time to unmask a little horror.
20.jpg
Hmm--this looks like a very troubled production.
23.jpg
Looks like they're "slashing" the budget.
21.jpg
Look! A Hidden Mickey!
22.jpg
"This is Universal. There are no 'Hidden Mickeys' here. Thank you."
24.jpg
Off to the soundstage mazes.
25.jpg
First stop, Frankenstein.
26.jpg
Hmm--I'm not sure this repair work is up to code. More to come.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:37 pm

If I've learned only one thing in life from Robb Alvey, it is that Magnum P.I. rules!
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Tor back!

Chuck back too!

We both back!
27.jpg
Takeout here for Tor! Tor hungry!
28.jpg
Again, I think Dr. F needs to have a word with those contractors.
29.jpg
"Hello. I'm Dr. Herbert West. If you're through with the cat, I'll take it off your hands."
30.jpg
Tor lookin' fer new head. You got spare, maybe? If no head, will settle for pelvis.
31.jpg
"Hoo, hoo! Ha, Ha! . . .
32.jpg
. . . Stoopid Monkey!"
33.jpg
"OK, did somebody here order a new heart?"
34.jpg
"I'll need you to sign for it, buddy--gotta pen?"
35.jpg
Tor want pecs like that!
36.jpg
Tor got craving for Buffalo wings now. Not sure why.
37.jpg
You may recognize this fellow from the last year's "Body Collectors" maze (er, the one on the left, that is). Waste not, want not.
38.jpg
Be worried--these are Dr. F's dental instruments.
39.jpg
Hey! You Swedish! Like Tor!
40.jpg
"Piers, you WILL perform 'Illumigaytions' this week!"
41.jpg
But Elissa hadn't recokoned on the Sister of Frankenstein!
42.jpg
I'm pretty concerned about this wiring. Was your electrician bonded?
43.jpg
Yep--I knew that wiring was dangerous!
44.jpg
Next stop--Castle Dracula. And, buddy, that'll teach you for trying to peek through people's windows!
45.jpg
Looks like the count has quite a bumper crop of corpses this year. Nice to see that he takes such pride in his garden.
46.jpg
This is an actual used coffin. If you have a body creamated, but want a "viewing," you have to pay for a coffin. Such coffins can't be reused, so they're sold cheap. Great for Halloween mazes--or as a cheap spare bed for annoying guests.
47.jpg
My local Home Depot doesn't carry this chandelier--maybe Ikea?

Tor can make one easy--from scratch! One more set pitchurs to come.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive