Photo TR: A trip to Germany und Amsterdam!

Pg: 6-Heineken Experience & other Dutch nuggets!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Photo TR: A trip to Germany und Amsterdam!

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:35 am

Being that this is going to be a rather large update, I decided to open another thread instead of posting this in my 'Philrad's 2009 theme/amusement park' thread. There are quite a few pics to post...some are not the best of quality, but the majority of them were not taken with our normal Olympus camera. I hope you still enjoy it!

We left Buffalo/Niagara airport on a rainy, cold fall day (9/29/09). This is the trip we have been waiting well over a year for and believe me, it did not disappoint!

All of the people we encountered in beer tents and other spots along the way were warm, friendly and almost all of them spoke English! Even though the tents were jam-packed and we figured that we would never land a spot, there were some friendly German families that made room for us.

I will say that Oktoberfest is one of the craziest, most awesome events on the planet! Yes, beer and ride tickets are very expensive...but well worth it. Despite the fact that there were some people that were extremely annihilated to the point of not even being able to walk, everyone was fairly peaceful. I did not feel unsafe at any point, but was aware not to flash money around or keep it loose in my pockets.

Anyone that has a love for good beer, extreme rides and fun should get on over to Munich and experience this event at least once in their lifetimes! It was simply too awesome to explain in words!
Halloweekends_09 003.jpg
What better way to start out a trip to Oktoberfest than with a beer at the Buff airport?
Halloweekends_09 004.jpg
De plane boss, de plane! This is actually the pond jumper we took from Philly to Munich.
Halloweekends_09 034.jpg
Welcome to Munich and the beautiful Marienplatz!
Halloweekends_09 066.jpg
Being that we were in Munich by 11:00 AM, we decided to walk around and just happened to end up here for an early breakfast of....
Halloweekends_09 062.jpg
A Mas of beer and a pretzel - YAY! Seriously, these "breze" were enough for a meal...they were huge!
Halloweekends_09 060.jpg
Not to disappoint some of the guys out there, I have to include some obligatory pics of German women in classic Bavarian attire!
Halloweekends_09 151.jpg
After the beer and pretzels, we were shot. It was time to check into the hotel for a quick snooze. While the room was small, if they have a Dali hanging on the wall it automatically gets four stars!
Halloweekends_09 277.jpg
Later that evening, we headed over to Oktoberfest. It was about a ten minute walk from our hotel room.
Halloweekends_09 280.jpg
Some looked like they may have had one too many Mas!
Halloweekends_09 076.jpg
Oktoberfest is very disorienting...dark one minute and light the next!
Halloweekends_09 078.jpg
In case you can't get a seat in one of the beer halls or gardens, they have booze-go-rounds where you can hop on to enjoy your favorite Bavarian beer!
Halloweekends_09 080.jpg
I have never seen so many colors and lights on rides before...this is like Claw at Hershey, but about ten times more kick-ass!
Halloweekends_09 079.jpg
They had tons of dark rides, fun hauses and haunted hauses...
Halloweekends_09 122.jpg
...like Fahrt Zur Holle, which when run through my cheesy translator means: A Trip to the Hole!
Halloweekends_09 086.jpg
Speaking of fahrt...it was forbidden in this area.
Halloweekends_09 083.jpg
They had a Power Tower that had a crazy cycle. Slow up, drop halfway down, back up, drop all the way down...
Halloweekends_09 082.jpg
...awesome!!!
Halloweekends_09 087.jpg
If you're into Wild Boar, well...there just so happens to be a place where you can get some at the Oktoberfest!
Halloweekends_09 089.jpg
It's, it's...the Hollenblitz! Very cool looking coaster!
Halloweekends_09 092.jpg
They gave a shout out to Las Vegas + Siegfried and Roy.
Halloweekends_09 093.jpg
More dark ride love...
Halloweekends_09 110.jpg
Futureworld - didn't there used to be a really crazy looking martian or space creature that hung out over this attraction in years past?
Halloweekends_09 115.jpg
Jumanji - Robin Williams looks to have taken a turn for the worse here.
Halloweekends_09 125.jpg
Another tower ride, but this was one that shot you up instead of dropped. They had tons of smoke that came out of the center of the tower after launch. When I first saw it, I thought something majorly wrong was happening. Think SFKK and snapping cables - yikes!
Halloweekends_09 117.jpg
The Alpina Bahn was one of the major coasters.
Halloweekends_09 098.jpg
But of course...this was the biggie - Olympia Looping! This thing kicked total ass! So many G-Forces that I still have a huge bruise on my right thigh from the restraints pushing down while going through all of the loops! Damn, this thing is intense!
Halloweekends_09 108.jpg
They also had a nice looking log flume ride: Wild Wasser.
Halloweekends_09 095.jpg
If you like spin-n-puke flats they had about five varieties of these "Scramblers on Acid".
Halloweekends_09 103.jpg
High Energy is probably best enjoyed before hitting the beer tents.
Halloweekends_09 124.jpg
I see you over there Lowenbrau...we will get to you soon enough! Part two coming soon with beer tent pics, ferris wheel overview shots, more rides and us getting drunk at the 'Fest...don't miss it! Thanks for reading!

TPR's lonesome donkeyboy

Postby Groteslurf » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:44 am

Great pictures.

Those pretzels are my favorite meals in German themeparks or funfairs : it's indeed a full meal and they are really cheap.

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:30 am

^ Danke!

Yes, I could not believe how they could suffice as a meal for about 3 Euro! :-)

Postby ginzo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:56 am

I must have had the B-team when I went to Hofbrauhaus back in May. The waitresses and pretzel girls were all older, Eastern-European-looking women with massive biceps that looked like they could have broken up a bar fight with one arm while carrying three 1-L glasses of beer in the other.

Incidentally, Weisses Brauhaus, just a short walk from Hofbrauhaus, has really amazing traditional Bavarian food. But it's more of a restaurant and you don't get that crazy Hofbrauhaus experience.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby GeorgeT » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:00 am

The church at Marienplatz looks like the best haunted house ever...gruesome, in a good way...

Besides...the huge "puppet" you were missing was in front of StarWorld, which is now looking totally different. It`s now called "Höllenblitz-the coaster" and has a complete new theming...

GeorgeT

Postby ginzo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:05 am

GeorgeT wrote:The church at Marienplatz looks like the best haunted house ever...gruesome...

One of the churches there, St. Peter's, has this totally awesome skeleton of a 4th Century Christian martyr:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... kirche.JPG

Never in America!
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby hobbit » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:35 am

the evening pictures looks awesome!
thanks for share it.

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:27 am

I must have had the B-team when I went to Hofbrauhaus back in May. The waitresses and pretzel girls were all older, Eastern-European-looking women with massive biceps that looked like they could have broken up a bar fight with one arm while carrying three 1-L glasses of beer in the other.

LOL! Yes, there were some of those there too! I would imagine that there must be a high case of carpal tunnel syndrome from carrying around all of those 1-L glasses of beer every day. ;)

^^ Wow...that is cool!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Nosferatu » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:22 am

Nice pictures! I really want to go to Octoberfest. Olympia Looping is such an amazing coaster, and just the whole atmosphere seems like something you don't want to miss!

This donkey is a Know-it-All

Postby andyuk200523 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:45 am

One of these days I'll get over to Oktoberfest, was EuroStar there this year??
Andrew

Not sure when next trip is, however May/June 2013 - Canada Baby!!!!!

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive