Photo TR: The Most Complete Jolly Roger TR Ever

I went there so you don't have to
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Photo TR: The Most Complete Jolly Roger TR Ever

Postby printersdevil78 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 pm

It's great living 30 minutes from the beach in the summertime! With a long weekend for Independence Day, my girlfriend Kelly and I decided to head to Ocean City, MD, on Friday for a little sun and randomness. Being the wonderful girlfriend she is, Kelly agreed to let me spend part of our day chronicling Jolly Roger Amusement Park.

Now, I hadn't been to Jolly Roger since they took us there for a class trip when I was in third grade. That would be roughly 22 years ago. It was pretty bad then. It's only gotten worse. I think I can legitimately say that if not for its adjacent water park, this permanent carnival would have become condos a long, long time ago.

With that in mind, I now present to you every single ride at the park. You get to see everything I saw--only you get to do it sitting down in the air conditioning! Enjoy!
1.JPG
New for 2009: an updated sign! That should bring the crowds rushing in.
1A.JPG
And here's the big man himself. What makes Jolly Roger so jolly, you ask? Probably the fact that he doesn't have to stand outside a muffler shop anymore.
2.JPG
Six flags. Coincidence? Probably.
3.JPG
Thar be the entrance! Yar!
4.JPG
"Beware! We haven't had a full-time ride mechanic on staff since 1969!"
5.JPG
Noted!
5A.JPG
Fun fact: The park is only about 20 percent larger than the surface area of the map itself.
6.JPG
This is where you go to get your Passport card, which is kind of like a digital ticket. Hopefully yours works. Ours sure didn't.
7.JPG
Let's get the credits out of the way first. This is Wildcat. Ironically, it sits in roughly the same location as the park's former Wild Mouse.
8.JPG
And this would be one of roughly 847 Wacky Worms in Ocean City.
9.JPG
Ah, but this Wacky Worm is special. Why...?
10.JPG
Because it has an on-ride photo!
11.JPG
That's right! You can buy a photo of you and/or your child on the Wacky Worm!
12.JPG
Let me reiterate that: Wacky Worm. On-ride. Photo.
14.JPG
These two Hampton kiddie rides have been at the park since its opening in 1965. The one on the left is motorcycles, while the one on the right is random vehicles.
15.JPG
Nothing like a little conspicuous advertising on the kiddie flat to keep things fresh.
13.JPG
I promised you every ride at the park, but I made no such guarantee about providing clever captions for each one. Ergo, these are the bumper cars.
16.JPG
Chair swings.
17.JPG
Mirror maze.
18.JPG
Big-headed photographer.
19.JPG
Cheesy traveling haunted house.
20.JPG
"Look out, dude! It's going straight for your oversized package!"
21.JPG
Matterhorn/Musik Express/Hurricane (it had no sign, so it's hard to say which one it really is).
22.JPG
Traveling fun house.
23.JPG
Speedway (whip).
24.JPG
Balloons.
25.JPG
Helicopters.
26.JPG
Pirate ship.
27.JPG
Teacups.
28.JPG
Fun Slide (named by the same person who comes up with the names of Cedar Fair rides, apparently).
29.JPG
Baja Buggy.
30.JPG
Kiddie Ferris wheel.
31.JPG
Spider.
32.JPG
Double-decker carousel.
33.JPG
A Gravitron with its "Gravitron" sign newly removed for 2009.
34.JPG
The Giant Wheel apparently is a great place to store boxes. By the way, is it just me, or does Jolly Roger seem to single-handedly support the airbrush sign industry in Ocean City?
35.JPG
Speaking of the Giant Wheel, this is it.
36.JPG
The kiddie train carries animals...
37.JPG
...marching band members...
38.JPG
...and white guys demonstrating Indian stereotypes.
39.JPG
90 DEGREES! (Note the kiddie bumper boats at the left--this is integral in making sure you have seen every ride at Jolly Roger.)
40.JPG
While that train is undergoing repair, let's take a look at this one. It was clearly the most popular attraction at the park and just about the only one with a full-time ride op. (Most of the rest shared ride ops, usually one op per three or four rides, it seemed.)
41.JPG
No ride ops for this SBNO Frog Hopper :(
42.JPG
Jolly Roger also offered a full complement of games. And unlike the rides, each and every single one of them was staffed.
43.JPG
Hey Big Mike, how many duckies are in here? :)
43A.JPG
The park even has a stage for shows. Not that the park has any shows....
43B.JPG
The backside of the stage is themed as a decrepit old house. Which brings to mind two questions: Why would a park want to theme anything (other than maybe a haunted house) as a decrepit building, and what is anything remotely having to do with theming doing at Jolly Roger?
44.JPG
You want to eat at Jolly Roger? This is where you go.
45.JPG
I know a few readers out there who wouldn't mind trying Big Willie's banana....
46.JPG
The park's property also contains a number of upcharge attractions, including two miniature golf courses.
47.JPG
Jungle Golf is by far the most elaborate of the two.
48.JPG
Jungle Golf is by far the better of the two. Along with this quasi-elaborate entrance, they actually sprung for a handful of fiberglass statues to spread throughout this course. Treasure Golf, on the other hand, is nice too... if you're into barren spaces and rocks.
49.JPG
Splash Mountain is Jolly Roger's upcharge water park.
50.JPG
You probably shouldn't expect to find Br'er Rabbit here.
51.JPG
You'll find the upcharge go-kart concession at Speedworld.
52.JPG
The fact that they took the effort to paint the tires astounds me. I'll bet they're airbrushed!
53.JPG
Note to Jolly Roger's marketing department: Threatening patrons is probably not the best way to get them to visit your second location at the Ocean City Pier.
54.JPG
Yeah, um... don't count on it.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby RedLeg21 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:07 pm

You know I was just there back in June and I honestly like Jolly Roger, not thats its a good park or anything, but it is the best one at Ocean City and has the best coaster at Ocean City in my opinion, the Wildcat.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby froggypheebs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks for the comprehensive report. I like looking at all the rides a park has, not just the coasters.

Is that speedway ride a real whip or does it just go in a circle?

Do you know who the manufacturer of that Ferris wheel is? I like the shape of the gondolas and it doesn't look like a typical Chance model.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:08 pm

It's hard to believe that this carnyghettoasspark actually used to have the old King Kobra from KD!!!!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:00 pm

^Yeah I sure wish the park still had it.

And OMG on-ride photos on a Wacky Worm. Only in the Wacky Worm capital of the world!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:14 pm

You Win! - This is the most comprehensive Photo TR of Jolly Roger Amusement Park.

As proof it has been added to Park Index.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:37 pm

I had to smile when i saw the speedway--had myself a bit of a Rusholme Ruffians moment there.

So that is Jolly Rogers, eh?....Hmmm... lol

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Capitalize » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:07 pm

So this location has a wildcat, is it the other location that has the looping coaster I believe from pinfari? Or is the looping coaster now dead?

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Actually, I believe it's a Boomerang...first vekoma boomer to hit US soil...but I'm not 100 percent sure on that one.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Capitalize » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:28 pm

CorkscrewFoley wrote:Actually, I believe it's a Boomerang...first vekoma boomer to hit US soil...but I'm not 100 percent sure on that one.

I believe that's at Trimper's Rides. There's a small, compact single loop coaster at one of the parks there I believe.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive