Photo TR: Six Flags America 5/31/09

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Photo TR: Six Flags America 5/31/09

Postby printersdevil78 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:09 pm

In preparation for our Midwest trip starting late next week, my girlfriend Kelly and I made the two-and-a-half-hour trip to Six Flags America to validate our 2009 season passes (Kentucky Kingdom and Great America, here we come!). Kelly grew up not far from SFA, but hadn't been in about a decade. She (and I, based on my observations last year) was amazed how nice the park was. Her first words in the park: "I feel almost... safe!"

Anyway, we had a great time riding rides, emptying our respective savings accounts on lunch and watching the best horrible stage show in theme park history. Enjoy!
1.JPG
Yep, that's SFA all right! Note the trim pulling loose beneath the second "A" in America.
1A.JPG
AKA Six Flags D.C.
2.JPG
And sure enough, there were flags! Six of them!
3.JPG
Why do parks have such a fascination with the Liberty Bell? You'll find representations at Kings Dominion and Idlewild (theirs is on a plaque), as well. SFA positioned theirs outside the men's room.
4.JPG
The "Spirit of '76" features three brave men who fought for our country's freedom. Later, Porky Pig would dance in front of them.
7.JPG
First coaster of the '09 season: Roar.
8.JPG
Someone apparently told the girl on the left this was a Vekoma.
9.JPG
Twisty coaster... with Coke!
10.JPG
Roar allowed me to "flyyyyy innntooo the danger zone!"
10A.JPG
Next up: Wild One...
11.JPG
...which may or may not have been renamed the Nougatizer.
12.JPG
See the red cars on top? The next time you see them, they'll be back in the station.
13.JPG
Told you so!
14.JPG
Based on this shot, you'd think the coaster was located at some traditional park in scenic Pennsylvania... instead of just down the street from the murder capital of the United States.
15.JPG
The turnaround, for those of you who swing that way.
16.JPG
Take the tunnel!
17.JPG
A few Wild One facts. Because you know you were curious.
18.JPG
Following Wild One, we took a ride on the Cyclone.
19.JPG
Turns out it wasn't a cyclone at all; it was a Scrambler.
20.JPG
Is it just me, or does the Capital Railways logo look like Thomas the Tank Engine with his face whited out and a Six Flags logo pasted in its place?
21.JPG
The train, on the other hand, didn't look like Thomas at all. It looked more like a Ralph.
22.JPG
"The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad now boarding for a grand circle tour of Walt Disney's--" Oops, wrong park.
23.JPG
This is the park's other train. Her name is Beatrice. For $5, she'll do things Sir Topham Hat never dreamed of.
24.JPG
OMG! OMG! Backstage! OMG!
25.JPG
Who knew the entrance to Gotham City was through a roller coaster?
26.JPG
Why so serious?
27.JPG
Fun fact: That's also what your intestines look like after you ride it.
28.JPG
Jahan, we miss you!
28A.JPG
"Easy on the nose as long as it's froze!"
29.JPG
Alpine Bobs is now The Avalanche. For those keeping track.
30.JPG
Which is the exact opposite of "Terminator: Ride of Wood."
31.JPG
Superman: champion of truth, justice and $30 T-shirts.
32.JPG
No Bizarro here!
32A.JPG
See that big red "S"? That's how you know you're in SFA and not Darien Lake.
33.JPG
Going up (up and away)!
34.JPG
"We're done with the seatbelt check. You can put your arms down now."
35.JPG
The ride exited through Daily Planet Gifts...
36.JPG
...or should I say "Aily Panet" Gifts?
37.JPG
Batwing was right next door.
38.JPG
For those who need a primer, this is the Batwing, Batman's plane.
38A.JPG
And these are the schematics of the Batwing.
39.JPG
This, on the other hand, is the Ba Wing. It's a roller coaster.
39A.JPG
This is the Ba Wing's station, where Kelly went to wait in line while I stayed behind. Because rides like the Ba Wing make me throw up.
40.JPG
Bat-vehicles that are not similar in name to coasters at SFA include the Batcycle...
41.JPG
...and Batmobile.
42.JPG
The sign actually bears very little resemblance to the real thing.
43.JPG
I was bored while Kelly was waiting to ride, so I busied myself by taking pictures of every sign in the cue. Now you get to see them, too.
44.JPG
45.JPG
46.JPG
47.JPG
48.JPG
49.JPG
50.JPG
51.JPG
52.JPG
53.JPG
54.JPG
"I enjoy laughing at your pain, Ba Wing riders! Wak wak wak!"
54A.JPG
Speaking of signs this one has replaced the "My family comes here too" slogan used on all the trash cans and T-shirts last year.
55.JPG
As the day got hotter, Kelly decided to take a ride on Shipwreck Falls. Being Dan-like in my dislike of water, I stayed behind and took photos.
56.JPG
When it was all over, I caught her (in the purple) making eyes at the creepy-looking guy next to her. Good thing I'm not the jealous type!
57.JPG
Five flags, less fun?
58.JPG
Other rides in the park (that we didn't ride) included Pirate's Flight (because pirates are well known for their flying abilities, apparently)...
59.JPG
...The Octopus...
60.JPG
...Around the World in 80 Days...
61.JPG
...defunct water slides...
62.JPG
...Falling Star...
63.JPG
...Tower of Doom...
64.JPG
...Rodeo...
64A.JPG
...Skull Mountain...
64B.JPG
...Sonora Speedway (upcharge!)...
65.JPG
...Renegade Rapids (which wasn't operating that day--sorry, Michael)...
66.JPG
...and Mind Eraser.
67.JPG
And suddenly it feels like we're in Six Flags Over Texas....
68.JPG
If they put this on a shirt, Tyler would so buy it.
69.JPG
The cynic in me wants to believe Jeff Johnson would count this as a credit. So I will let the cynic have his way.
70.JPG
Well isn't that just funderful?
71.JPG
Apparently stuffed snakes were the hot item of the day!
72.JPG
By the way, did I mention this place has Looney Toons?
73.JPG
74.JPG
74A.JPG
I say, I say, that there's Kelly with Foghorn Leghorn.

Come to think of it, the tenders we split for lunch must have come from a pretty famous chicken, too. For four of them, fries, two drinks and a small bag of cinnamon-roasted pecans we paid $22!
75.JPG
Now you can honestly say you've seen a picture of Marvin the Martian doing the Macarena.
76.JPG
This was the most exciting thing I saw all day! No, not Mr. Six... Porky Pig's butt!
77.JPG
After lunch we decided to cool off with a show in the Grand Theatre.
78.JPG
There, we saw two things we had never seen before: a coin-operated cell phone charger...
79.JPG
...and "Freedom: A Musical Tribute."
80.JPG
We were waiting for the 3:30 show... but we didn't know which time to believe!
81.JPG
OMG, was this thing bad! It was like they mashed together a bunch of random songs they could get the rights to and added patriotic lighting and a five-minute slideshow of people saying "The United States of America" over and over (really). On the plus side, at least the Osmonds' choreographer is still getting work! After the show, the performers stood by the exits and waved goodbye to everyone. I couldn't even look them in the eye... and not just because they told me to "Have a Six Flags Day!" What does that even mean?

My two-second review: It was air conditioned.
82.JPG
After the monstrosity that was "Freedom," we decided to clense our ears by taking in a performance by Billy Hill and the Hillbilles.
83.JPG
But instead we got "Rockin' the Country." And it was the same kids from "Freedom!" It was like they were following us!
85.JPG
Fortunately, they were better at singing country than the collection of minor hits of the '80s and '90s that populated the Grand stage. Plus there was table dancing!
84.JPG
Kelly even made a new friend.
86.JPG
By the time the show was over, our free babysitting services had just about ended, so we had to go pick up Kelly's daughter (whom we opted not to bring due to past park experiences) from her friend's house and start our journey home. Goodbye, Six Flags America! Thank you for being less scary than either of us remembered!

It all started with a donkey

Postby the ghost » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:53 pm

That was a great TR and it was hilarious, until I remembered,

I miss Jahan :( :cry:

Now there are few reasons for penguins to be awesome if they no longer drive people insane. Next year at WCB if we buy Jahan a penguin will it scare him and make him regress to his enthusiast ways(God I hope so,cause so far that's the plan)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby tanthonyam » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:15 am

Wow! Mr. Six is white in that park?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Voyage_freak » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:35 am

Very nice TR, it doesn't surprise me at all to see things in the park falling apart (like that sign) at a Six Flags park. I am heading up to Six Flags Great America on Tuesday, will be sure to note things up there for my TR

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby froggypheebs » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:06 am

I'm making my first trip to SFA later this summer. I'm going in with extremely low expectations, that way I won't be disappointed. Your TR makes it seem like it is not as bad as it once was. It seems clean and I didn't see you mention any breakdowns/closed rides. It really seems like it has potential to be a good park.

How were the employees? Lethargic and slow like I've heard or have they improved?

On a different note, I'm glad they opened the train up to everyone this year. That's a good step towards the family-friendly atmosphere SF is going for.

Skull Mountain seems like such a unique and fun ride. Can't wait to ride it!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:55 am

I've been to SFA four (well, three-and-a-half) times, and I've yet to see that rapids ride in operation--although I did get to ride Skull Mountain.

Good TR--last year, Batwing was "B T Wing." They seem to have a lot problems with signage at SFA. I've had fun at this park, too, when it isn't too crowded.

SWF looking for dorky overweight coaster enthusiast to sweep me off my feet.

Re: Photo TR: Six Flags America 5/31/09

Postby natatomic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:07 am

printersdevil78 wrote:Someone apparently told the girl on the left this was a Vekoma.

Ugh, it might as well be. Roar is AWFUL! (Sorry Jason ::()

printersdevil78 wrote:This, on the other hand, is the Ba Wing. It's a roller coaster.

Last year, it was the A that was blown over backwards, making it look like "Butwing." Add in one more T, and I think they've got it right.

But really, have they ever heard of nailing stuff down (like your mom?) Or using super glue? Or even scotch tape?! Jeeeeeez.

printersdevil78 wrote:Five flags, less fun?

And that flag was missing last year, too! Come ON, SFA. At least PRETEND like you're trying.

Anyway, great trip report!

TPR's lonesome donkeyboy

Postby Groteslurf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:17 am

Great report.

Really enjoyed the captions.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Spideyfreak » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:19 am

Good TR--last year, Batwing was "B T Wing." They seem to have a lot problems with signage at SFA. I've had fun at this park, too, when it isn't too crowded.

Agreed. Operations are horrible, maintenance doesn't have a clue, and nobody is even keeping up with the signs?

I swear I hate this park, that's why I stopped going. I actually refuse to call this my home park (even though it is) and consider Hersheypark to be because it's much, much better.

I would not be sad to see this park go, with Wild One relocated of course.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:21 am

Great tr!

Wish I could say the same about the park.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive