Cypress Gardens Closing...

Who did not see this coming...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Loves Random TR's!

Cypress Gardens Closing...

Postby CoasterJunkie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:40 pm

http://www.theledger.com/article/20081109/NEWS/811090288/1410?Title=Cypress_Gardens_to_Close__Reopening_With_Expanded_Water_Park_Planned_for_March

Cypress Gardens to Close, Reopening With Expanded Water Park Planned for March

By Rick Rousos
THE LEDGER

Published: Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 9:38 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 9:55 p.m.
WINTER HAVEN | Cypress Gardens will close beginning Nov. 17 and plans to reopen in March after an expansion of its water park.

The rides and animal attractions will be permanently closed but the botanical gardens and the ski shows will stay, park officials said Sunday night.

“It is obvious the park cannot successfully function as four parks in one. We have some exciting new plans that everyone will be thrilled to see come March,” co-owner Rob Harper said in a prepared statement.

Cypress Gardens has about 200 hourly workers, most of them part time, and 15 full-time salaried employees, said Brian Philpot, the other owner.

About half of the workers were told of the closing and renovation plans Sunday evening and the other employees were to be told today.

Cypress Gardens has a big wave pool, a “lazy river” and a swimming area for kids that includes five slides.

Philpot said Cypress Gardens will choose, likely in December, between a variety of options to expand the water park area of the park.

Its been reported for a few weeks now that people have been coming to the park and getting prices on the rides...and they have dropped the admission price numerous times..it was just $5 again today to get in...Shame really. Wonder where the animals will get sent to.

Knows where his bowel is

Postby HEADCHEEZ » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:51 pm

I'm not shocked in any way. I expected this for the last year. Its a shame, It looks like a nice park.

Last coaster I rode= Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City - 7/26/2017

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:56 pm

No way it will survive as gardens/a water park either. Who is going to go to their waterpark with 5 slides even if it is cheap (under $20) and take a day out of their vacation when you have Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Aquatica and Wet N Wild all in the area.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:57 pm

No one's going to be shocked, but once again, it is lame. It looked like it had a few nice rides, albeit the total package was mostly just a vekoma/zamperla showcase. It's too bad this will mean the end for the Starliner. It's too bad about the animals too.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:02 pm

Hang on...wait for it...wait for it...

WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!

You know parks should really hire us as consultants. We would save some people a TON of cash!

--Robb

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:03 pm

Hard Rock and Cypress in basically the same week!!!! I never thought I could be so happy over two parks closing!!!! :shockr:

Amazing.

Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:10 pm

Atleast I got all but one credit there (Starliner). I think it will open again with rides in time. Right now is a bad time for anything with the economy the way it is. It is not like this is the first time it closed.

I think the park could open again with a pay per ride system with a low entrance price for just getting in. Also, charge for gardens.

With the area it is located in, that is the only way it could ever survive. It has potential for aniche market if the price is right.

Atleast that is my opinion.

The only reason I went was because I only had to pay for one ticket out of 3 when I went. Otherwise, the price was really a little high.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:44 pm

^At first I too thought it could last. Central Florida could probably support a nicely done small theme park as a destination for locals (something like a larger version of Castle Park here in CA).

Then I saw all the TR's and knew this park was not it.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby holyblakbelt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:48 pm

I think the sad thing was when people wanted to go to Florida, they want to do Disney, Universal, the Busch parks, and so on. I don't think many people knew about it (Cypress Gardens). If I knew more about the park, I might've predicted it, but I do not own a crystal ball. So who will bailout next?
Hanowski for Hobey 2012-13!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby doom1001 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:08 pm

It's still a bit too far away from the major Central Florida attractions for the tourists to decide to venture there for a day but as far as locals,they might visit it occasionally but the major parks are still too close to skip them and go frequently to Cypress Gardens,kinda ironic,don't you think?I don't really know what their plans are,but they don't sound too impressive,keep the gardens and make a bigger waterpark.Last time I went to Cypress Gardens we somehow ended up walking by the waterpark area even though it was closed off and it took us about 2 minutes to walk it,they would have to seriously improve and increase it for people to consider going there instead of the waterparks 45 minutes up the road.I kind of liked what they had going there,I remember getting passholder newsletters for the park,even though I wasn't a passholder,have no clue how they got my name,but I liked that they had concerts and I liked the rides area,especially that MegaBounce,I could ride that all day!!If that park was down here in theme parkless South Florida it probably would be able to get more visitors.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!