Photo TR: Coastin' by the Ocean with Derek and Nicole

Coaster Enthusiast Event at Morey's Piers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Hot Coaster Chick!

Photo TR: Coastin' by the Ocean with Derek and Nicole

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Derek and I attended the Coastin' by the Ocean event at Morey's Piers this past weekend. It was my first trip to Morey's, and my first visit to a seaside park in the US, so I was pretty excited. And Morey's didn't disappoint! We had a great time, and felt like we got our money's worth even though we only stayed for 1 of the 2 event days.
DSCF0434.jpg
It's 6:30 AM on a Saturday... WHY are we in the car?!?!
DSCF0435.jpg
Did we just decide to drive to Philadelphia to take some pretty pictures of the city skyline?
DSCF0438.jpg
Heck no! We're going to ride some coasters!
DSCF0440.jpg
Ah, there's a coaster or two. But we're not going to that pier until later.
DSCF0439.jpg
You can ride bikes on the boardwalk until a certain time. They had some really neat multi-person bikes that you could rent. We saw one for 6 people!
DSCF2899.jpg
We registered for the event at this cute little tent.
DSCF2900.jpg
And got some SWEET loot bags! We already got our money's worth with wristbands that were good on all rides and both water parks, TWO teeshirts apiece, a water bottle, a $10 off coupon at Jumbo's for food, and a discount coupon for the upcharge rides and souvenirs!
DSCF0447.jpg
When we entered the park, they were cleaning EVERYTHING, including the Great Nor'Easter's supports!
DSCF0459.jpg
But before we rode the Nor'Easter, we decided to ride the Flitzer, which back in the day was Derek's first coaster! (aww!)
DSCF0460.jpg
Your chariot awaits.
DSCF0455.jpg
Kerri looks stoked. (kinda)
DSCF0457.jpg
Bret and Conner are ready to go!
DSCF0461.jpg
Conner loved it so much he made Kerri ride twice! Many more pictures to come!
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:20 pm

More pictures
DSCF0449.jpg
Morey's has two separate water parks. This is the one located on Surfside (?) Pier. We did not go in it, but it looks pretty cool.
DSCF0451.jpg
THIS is why they call it Coastin' by the Ocean!
DSCF0452.jpg
We like it. Too bad there was nobody around to take our picture and we had to do it Myspace-style.
DSCF0453.jpg
This waterpark has a huge chess board and checkers board, and also a swim-up bar (for adults only, obviously).
DSCF2958.jpg
Very cool theming.
DSCF2960.jpg
Random kid goes flying down the tube slide!
DSCF2962.jpg
This lazy river looks very relaxing. And it has clear tubes "so they can tell if you're drowning". I think it's really so the lifeguards can have a better view of all the hot Jersey babes in bikinis. ;)
DSCF2966.jpg
This place makes me really miss Blackpool.
DSCF0462.jpg
Next, we decided to ride the Doo Wopper, a cutely themed Wild Mouse.
DSCF0464.jpg
Bret, Karri, and Conner take a spin.
DSCF0443.jpg
Next, we rode Dante's Dungeon, a dark ride with a couple good scares. The outside really reminds me of Blackpool's ghost train, down to the demon guy in the middle breathing smoke.
DSCF2892.jpg
We wouldn't ride Cygnus X-1 until later, because Atmos-fear was so cool we had to ride it twice! :)
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:47 pm

And yet more!
DSCF2956.jpg
Great Nor'Easter is an SLC that just got the new Vekoma SLC trains.
DSCF2957.jpg
Usually my SLC experience is somewhat like the following: "OWW! MY BRAIN! MY KIDNEYS! WHYYYYYYYY"
DSCF2897.jpg
Hmmm... ok, these restraints don't look so bad.
DSCF2898.jpg
In fact, they are just like the flyer restraints, which I liked. You can actually talk to the person you're sitting next to!!
DSCF0472.jpg
While still kidney punching and painful (Dear Vekoma, please invent a train where all wheels touch the track at all times. Love, Nicole), the new trains made the ride much more tolerable and we actually rode it twice! All SLC's should get these new restraints!
DSCF0497.jpg
One more picture cause it's just so darn photogenic. :)
DSCF0475.jpg
Next, we decided to venture down the boardwalk to the middle pier, Mariner's Landing
DSCF0476.jpg
Does Piers live here?!?!?!
DSCF0477.jpg
Mariner's Landing has another fun assortment of rides, and the other water park.
DSCF0479.jpg
We just did not have time to ride this carousel, although it is very pretty.
DSCF2904.jpg
Time for another credit for me, the Sea Serpent
DSCF2909.jpg
It's a Vekoma Boomerang.
DSCF2913.jpg
I love how the white stands out against the pretty blue sky.
DSCF2903.jpg
While not too brutal with Derek's patented Vekoma defensive riding strategy (hug the restraint the whole time), it messed up my hair pretty good. But it was almost... dare I say... fun?!?!
DSCF0484.jpg
Time for some TPR cliches. SIDELOOP
DSCF3013.jpg
And "Hi, Derek!" Phew, glad I got that out of my system! Let's carry on, shall we? :)
DSCF2902.jpg
Next, we went to the water park. Derek wanted to ride this torture device of insanity, but I said "No way Jose!"
DSCF3038.jpg
This is the family slide, where you can ride with a buddy or alone. You go down several small slides, landing in a pool each time and the lifeguard there chooses which path you will go down. I had never ridden a slide like this and I really enjoyed it!
DSCF3037.jpg
WHY is this considered fun?!?!
DSCF2933.jpg
Lilly pads and a fun wide slide, that's more of my idea of fun!
DSCF2935.jpg
This lazy river was great, but I had a hard time getting into my tube! Stupid deep water! :)
DSCF0501.jpg
We also headed to the beach.
DSCF0502.jpg
I saw jellyfish and a conch for the first time, and collected some pretty shells.
DSCF0482.jpg
The park's mascot is a seagull, and with good reason. Those suckers are everywhere! More to come!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Carnage » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:02 pm

This is the family slide, where you can ride with a buddy or alone. You go down several small slides, landing in a pool each time and the lifeguard there chooses which path you will go down. I had never ridden a slide like this and I really enjoyed it!

Reminds me of one of the tube slides at Wild Water Kingdom in Toronto. Except on that one they send you down in like groups of 20. Pure chaos when you're in big group. :lolr:

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:03 pm

The previous pictures I posted were larger than I wanted. Sorry about that! Let's continue on!
DSCF0480.jpg
Also on Mariner's Landing is Pirates of Wildwood.
DSCF0485.jpg
It's a boat dark ride with those awful 3-D glasses. But thankfully the ride was better than Garfield's Nightmare!
DSCF2905.jpg
Right next door to that is Rollie's Coaster.
DSCF2911.jpg
I'll never understand why this has over-the-shoulder restraints, but it was still fun.
DSCF2919.jpg
My real body is better than this cardboard cutout! Why am I standing here?! Anyway...
DSCF2920.jpg
It was time to "watch the tram car, please" and head over to Adventure Pier.
DSCF2921.jpg
But first, a stop for some ice cream.
DSCF3009.jpg
Dulce de Leche and Coffee ice cream swirl?! Best idea EVER!!
DSCF3010.jpg
This place is Nicole approved!

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby tnguy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:19 pm

Any TR with Kohr Bros is automatically awesome!

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Adventure Pier!
DSCF0508.jpg
Time to ride the Great White, the park's CCI woodie
DSCF2988.jpg
We rode it once in the back, once in the front. It was pretty rough, and I passed on riding it any more. A shame, as it looks so fun.
DSCF0512.jpg
I think I'll just stick to watching it from the skyride.
DSCF0517.jpg
You get some really good views from the skyride!
DSCF0518.jpg
Great White is in a beautiful location right next to the water.
DSCF0511.jpg
Also on this pier is quite possibly the worst dark ride I've ever been on. And I LOVE dark rides. This one is about 20 feet long and has literally 3 gags, none of which are any good.
DSCF2922.jpg
On the way back for our Coaster Shop Tour... used to be a dark ride. Waah!
DSCF2926.jpg
Speaking of "used to be a dark ride"... :(
DSCF2937.jpg
They made us actually walk by the ex-dark ride on the way to the shop tour! :(
DSCF2938.jpg
Hmm, maybe they'll surprise us and open it up?
DSCF2953.jpg
Um... okay... it's boarded up.. never mind.
DSCF2952.jpg
This dark ride fan is sad to miss out on another credit.

AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Kennywood's Sandcastle water park also has these slides, I actually quite enjoyed those too.

That and all of these Jersey Boardwalk and Trimper's trip reports are actually making me crave visiting Wildwood one of these days. There's just a certain charm about a boardwalk.
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

I'll have red wine with my slice of donkey.

Postby Josh Davidson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Great photos! Did they talk to you guys about the Golden Nugget Ride at all? I so wish they would move it to a different pier.. and what was some of the T-shirts they gave out? :)
http://GADV.com - The First Great Adventure fan site deserving of Six Flags Great Adventure.

I play Metroid every day!

Postby Kennyweird » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:13 pm

I also love dark rides, and I find this picture very sad. :cry:

It would of been really cool if they could've installed the coaster without interfering with the dark ride, but alas...
This is my signature. Deal with it.
Kennywood Rides Team Member- Racer/Skycoaster
Coaster count: 67

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive