Photo TR: HersheyPark in the Dark

Day 2 with a hint of Amish and a bit of Fahrenheit - Page 3
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
SWF looking for dorky overweight coaster enthusiast to sweep me off my feet.

Photo TR: HersheyPark in the Dark

Postby natatomic » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:19 pm

This past Thursday my mom and I headed up to PA to eat chocolate, find some Amish, and - of course - ride some roller coasters.

We left early Thursday morning and took a short stop in Washington, D.C. mainly because I had never been there and also because we had plenty of time to do whatever. However, we don't like to meander and our parking meter only went up to an hour, so we did the entire capital of the U.S. in less than 60 minutes. Let's just say there was a lot of power walking involved. And we skipped over the things we couldn't name. You could say we're your average Americans.

Anyway, we stayed our first night at the Hershey Lodge (the other nights were booked - and a lot more expensive) and just browsed around town that Thursday, including getting to the Hershey Pantry for dinner - yummmmmm.

The next day we did the Chocolate World tour and the Hershey Museum to kill time before the park opened. With an 80% chance of rain and a lot of local football games going on, most of the locals stayed away from the park, and EVERY ride (included Storm Runner, at least when I was there) was either a walk-on or a one train wait. Luckily, most of the rain stayed away for the first 4 or 5 hours. After that, the dam in the sky broke loose and we practically had to swim back to the car.

But on to the pictures for the first night. I'll post the Day 2 tomorrow.
Hershey - Day 1 017.JPG
Nope...we're not going here. But hi anyway, PKD!
Hershey - Day 1 036b.jpg
I know I was far away, but I thought the White House would have been a bit bigger...but enough government. Let's talk chocolate and roller coasters.
Hershey - Day 1 091.JPG
Didn't you hear? Walter quit the coaster biz. He's all about homes now. Rumor has it that he's working on a floorless model.
Hershey - Day 1 101b.jpg
So, welcome to the Hershey Lodge. Or more specifically, the actual LODGE of the Hershey Lodge.
Hershey - Day 1 126b.jpg
And we wandered around the Hershey Hotel. We just like to look...
Hershey - Day 1 169.JPG
Then dessert at the Hershey Pantry. Mmmmmm....
Hershey - Day 2 020b.jpg
Day 2 - I didn't want the sign to blow away. And yeah, I'm *that* strong.
Hershey - Day 2 024.JPG
To some people, and in some cults, it's also known as Paradise.
Hershey - Day 2 031.JPG
The "factory" tour.
Hershey - Day 2 064.JPG
Eh, real or not, you still get free candy at the end!
Hershey - Day 2 066b.jpg
Mmm, another dessert. We got the Chocolate Chunk Cheesecake in the lower-left corner.
Hershey Park - Day 1 003.JPG
But on to the park (I left my good camera in the car, so not-as-great photos here)
Hershey Park - Day 1 004.JPG
First things first - Storm Runner.
Hershey Park - Day 1 008.JPG
Forget my cheesy look - the guy next to me looks CREEPY. Unless he's reading this, then uh...hubba hubba?
Hershey Park - Day 1 010.JPG
On to Lightning Racer. Btw - does thunder EVER win?
Hershey Park - Day 1 012.JPG
Dang, I love this ride...
Hershey Park - Day 1 014.JPG
Like I said, the park was EMPTY.
Hershey Park - Day 1 018.JPG
My camera sometimes has a drug problem.
Hershey Park - Day 1 028.JPG
Hi!
Hershey Park - Day 1 029.JPG
Some Wild Mouse
Hershey Park - Day 1 031.JPG
We rode the Xtreme Cup Challenge only for the free chocolate at the end, but we were sorely disappointed. No chocolate = broken hearts.
Hershey Park - Day 1 038.JPG
Now for some Great Bear, which was an AWESOME ride. It was a lot smoother than I remember (and even smoother than some younger B&M inverts I've been)
Hershey Park - Day 2 005.JPG
But no Sooperdooperlooper. :(
Hershey Park - Day 1 046.JPG
View from Comet
Hershey Park - Day 2 014.JPG
Oh, can't forget Wildcat
Hershey Park - Day 1 058.JPG
And here comes the rain. We waited for about 15 minutes hoping it would let up, but it never did...
Hershey Park - Day 1 063.JPG
So we run for the nearest gift shop, get some gift bags for our heads, and run for the exit. And since we were by LR, we had a LOOOONG way to go. (P.S. Dang, we're hot!)
Hershey Park - Day 1 061.JPG
Okay, goodnight Hershey - we'll try again tomorrow!

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby ghost007jas » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Sweet Trip Report! (Pun intended)

I'll see you in May Hershey! :)

Vote in the Coasterdom Coaster Championship every M/W/F!

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby saxman47 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:54 pm

Nice TR, even though it rained atleast you got in plenty of rides!

I was there on Saturday and it was packed! There were a lot of little kids though, so the lines for the coasters weren't terrible, most being ~45 minutes.

Also, I never saw Thunder win either :lolr:

Postby natatomic » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:59 pm

^Yeah, I was there Saturday too, and I'll post about that tomorrow. But, goll, it was RIDICULOUS. It wasn't nearly that crowded last year - although last year it was about 45 degrees and it didn't rain the day before.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Jayjay719 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

I was there friday night and we stayed at Hershey High Meadow Campground. So my friends and I were absolutely soaked lol. But, why does Hershey block rows off on some of the coasters? Great TR so far btw...
I was at the first game ever at the New Yankee Stadium. 4/3/09

Postby natatomic » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:26 pm

^ My guess is that it has to do with weight distribution or something. :?r

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Jayjay719 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:35 pm

^Gotcha...it's just weird that I haven't seen any other park that I've been to do that.
I was at the first game ever at the New Yankee Stadium. 4/3/09

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby ItsDavidU » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:00 pm

Seeing empty seats on Storm Runner makes me happy, you know it's gonna be a good day..

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby CoasterEricHP » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:32 am

Nice! I was hoping you would do some trip report'age.

Looks like you had fun! I wish I didn't literally work ALL weekend! I'll make sure I ask off in May though.. that would suck!

My good friend is a front desk manager at the Hershey Lodge! I could have had you get hooked up!

It's been a few years since I've been to Hershey's Halloween event. Do they just rename the coasters? It's kind of depressing the SooperBoo-perLooper was closed!

I'll wait until you post the next update before I start asking a lot of questions :)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Sue » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:34 am

Hershey always closes off rows especially on Lightning Racer. It's just laziness so they have less rows to check and also to prevent people from reriding.

They're not the only ones though. Dorney frequently runs 1/2 a train on Thunderhawk with the entire back half of the train chained off. People who have worked that ride in the past even admit it's due to the laziness of the crew and has nothing to do with the operation of the ride.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive