Granite Park

9/7/10 - Lightning Bolt has been found and is for sale! Pg 7
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:35 am

Glad my uncle lives only twenty minues away from it! :b

We Ride with Pride

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Axman » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:44 am

The park sounds cute. I'd like to see how it turns out.

BTW, how is a Zamperla DiskO Coaster less of a coaster than an Intamin Half Pipe?

The Giant DiskO and basic DiskO aren't long or big enough to be considered a coaster, since their just a basic "half moon" shaped layout. It would be like calling a Bayern Curve a coaster.
Alexander "I've decided that I don't really hate Magic Mountian, but I don't like it nearly as much as Cedar Point" Dickey

Current Coaster Count: 142

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:23 pm

As the ex-owner of the MGM Lightnin Bolt roller coaster I can say that the ride has officially been sold to the Park in Fresno as well as the Log Flume and the Bumper cars.

We purchased the rides from the defunct MGM park several years ago for a park that was planned for North of Seattle. Due to conflicts with an Indian Tribe that park had to be postponed.

The rides have been in storage in the Nevada desert but will soon be transported to Fresno. Here is a picture of the coaster and sky coaster. I will post more of the coaster shortly if interested.

FYI- the MGM's Rapid Ride has been sold to a park in Mexico. Thankfully those rides will live on in new parks.
mgm 021.jpg
pieces of the Sky Coaster and the intamin/arrow "Lightnin Bolt" coaster in the background

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:29 pm

Shane-

Go ahead and post the pics.

-Bob

Postby montezooma » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:57 pm

Here are some pictures of the coaster being removed from the MGM park. Also some of the ride in storage near Las Vegas.

I understand that there will be some slight alterations made to the coaster to fit the project in Fresno. I am not sure if the track layout will be altered or if the changes will be made to the structure of the ride. The Intamin portion of the ride was all on flat land but the Arrow portion of the land was built on a hillside over and around the Rapids Ride.
IMG_0054.JPG
Lightning Bolt coaster at MGM Grand Adventure Theme Park
IMG_0056.JPG
Intamin track being removed
IMG_0064.JPG
Lightning Bolt trains. There are two trains originally for the coaster but during the last years of operation at MGM only one was used. The other was used for parts. Along with the coaster we bought several spare parts for the trains so I am not sure if the coaster at Fresno will be a one train operation or if the second train will be rebuilt.
IMG_0083.JPG
another section of the arrow track being taken down
IMG_0092.JPG
Arrow portion of the ride being dismantled
IMGP0853.JPG
Storage in the Las Vegas Desert. Originally headed to Seattle, but now on its way to Fresno.
IMGP1399.JPG
Here is where the track transitions from intamin to arrow.
IMGP1404.JPG
The Intamin track heads out.
IMGP1409.JPG
An arrow section of track is loaded on a flat bed and moved out of the defunct MGM grand adventures theme park
IMGP0854.JPG
Here you can see the original Intamin track and a few of the supports. The ride was originally built indoors. When it was moved outdoors and additional 1200 feet of ride was supplied by arrow.
IMGP2828.JPG
Mostly arrow track in this picture
IMGP2812.JPG
Intamin and Arrow track in storage waiting to be shipped to Fresno

Postby montezooma » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:38 pm

I found a few more pictures that show both of the trains, the ride layout and the flume drop. The blue train is the one that is operational, the black one was not operational when we purchased the rides from MGM.
1317.jpg
1318.jpg
roller coaster.jpg
1046.jpg
1051.jpg

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:38 pm

It's great to see an old ride getting a second chance, I hope the park is a success.

Postby Axman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Is the Lightning Bolt an Arrow Mine Train with some Intman refurbishment, or the other way around?
Alexander "I've decided that I don't really hate Magic Mountian, but I don't like it nearly as much as Cedar Point" Dickey

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:23 pm

The original coaster was Intamin. It was short and indoors. Then it was moved outdoors. Then Arrow came and added about 1200' to the ride.

So there were three versions. Jeff counts this coaster as 37 credits.

Postby Axman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:39 pm

SharkTums wrote:Jeff counts this coaster as 37 credits.

:lmao: Love it!

(I can't belive Elissa answered my comment!!!!! I'm starstruck!!!!!)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!