Photo TR: Divv's U.S. (and U.K.) Adventure...

All updates now posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Photo TR: Divv's U.S. (and U.K.) Adventure...

Postby Divv3k » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:38 pm

Yes here it is - my super sized, super long trip report that encompasses my four day England tour, the TPR Midwest Trip and my own "Post-Midwest" tour.

I should say that I was plagued with camera issues throughout the trip - be it with batteries or memory cards and then the screen broke quite early in the trip. I wasn't able to replace the camera until I visited the Mall of America much later in the trip. As a result a lot of the photos from the TPR portion of the trip were taken blind but hopefully I've got enough here to cobble together some kind of trip report from those parks. If not then well, there are already loads of great TRs from the Midwest trip out there!

Anyway - let's begin...

-----

PART ONE: CAMELOT

So I left on Friday evening and got my train no problem and Tom arrived right on time to pick me up and take me back to his (thanks again to Tom for putting me up those first few nights).

Got up bright and early on Saturday morning and headed to Camelot to see the good folks from Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits. Now I had visited Camelot with the school about ten years ago but pretty much all the rollercoasters have changed since then. In fact the park's newest rollercoaster "Knightmare" had only officially opened the day before we visited. I was quite looking forward to riding Knightmare after seeing video of it in its former home of Japan. While the ride was good it did have quite a few rough spots which was a shame. The "psycho drop" half way through really was great though. I was pretty non-plussed about the rest of Camelot though. Tom put it best when he said the place was "tired". Not much upkeep has been done and the rides are mostly pretty crappy. The atmosphere just isn't there. And the food was awful. But still it was a great day and I also got three new credits!
S7003384 (Custom).JPG
The first park of the trip - Camelot!
S7003385 (Custom).JPG
Tom gets the ball rolling by announcing that we're heading straight to Knightmare!
S7003386 (Custom).JPG
Although a few of us decided to take the slide down the hill.
S7003396 (Custom).JPG
The reason for visiting Camelot today? Knightmare!
S7003388 (Custom).JPG
It's a good ride for the park.
S7003389 (Custom).JPG
But it's not "OMFG Amazing!" or anything like that.
S7003390 (Custom).JPG
The "psycho drop" is really what makes the ride worthwhile.
S7003394 (Custom).JPG
Camelot also have a Maurer Sohne spinner.
S7003393 (Custom).JPG
But it's nowhere near is good as Dragon's Fury or Spinball Whizzer.
S7003401 (Custom).JPG
Back to Knightmare - it's the best ride in the park. Although it does have a few rough spots. It definitely doesn't come close to touching the greatness that is Lisebergbanan.
S7003403 (Custom).JPG
Fed up with the rides at Camelot, Tom decides to invent his own fun...
S7003395 (Custom).JPG
That'll do it for Camelot! The park really isn't up to much but I still had a great day there! A great way to kick off my trip!

MATT DAMON has nervous tits

Postby thecoasterkid » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Divv! You've started your update! Great stuff. I'm yet to make it over to the UK, so it'll be nice to see new parks that don't get alot of coverage on TPR!

It really was too bad that your camera screen cracked so early on during the Mid-West trip, but atleast it was still taking pictures!

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:26 pm

I still can't believe this all began over a month ago!

Yeah, Knightmare was OK, but nothing special.

It would be much better if they still had the mountain facade, but with the park's bad history with themed Schwarzkopf coasters I don't blame them for leaving this one bare.

Great photos Divv, looking forward to the rest! :D

Postby Divv3k » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:55 am

^ I know I also can't believe that was all a month ago!

PART TWO: NEW PLEASURELAND SOUTHPORT

After Camelot Tom and I took a quick jaunt down to the recently opened fun fair which now occupies the old Pleasureland Southport site. Imaginatively called "New Pleasureland" I was pleasantly surprised this place. Yes it's just a bunch of carnival rides thrown down on the ground but most of the rides are better than what was there before. Plus there was a wacky worm rollercoaster there which neither of us had ridden so we got a bonus credit! We also rode a powered coaster and a frisbee which did do a fair bit of spinning.

We also checked out the funhouse, it was pretty depressing to see the place gutted out, but at least its still standing and there are some things to do inside.
S7003404 (Custom).JPG
After Camelot Tom suggested we check out New Pleasureland Southport. Naturally that sounded like a good idea to me!
S7003407 (Custom).JPG
The former site of the Cyclone. Yeah it was a crappy woodie but it was still sad to see a big gap where it used to be.
S7003405 (Custom).JPG
Even more depressing was the inside of the funhouse. At least there's some stuff inside to keep it going.
S7003408 (Custom).JPG
We did get a bonus credit on the Wacky Worm!
S7003410 (Custom).JPG
And even though we don't count powered coasters we rode the powered coaster to spite anyone that does!
S7003412 (Custom).JPG
Here's the token they gave us to ride the frisbee. Yes it's in Italian!
S7003411 (Custom).JPG
And here is said frisbee. Spinny enough for me. New Pleasureland actually looks very promising. I'm sure I'll be back before too long!

TWO PINTS ONLY

Postby coaster_dude2002 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:32 am

Glad to see the photos going up Divv! I'm surprised your still able to function after all this excitement, 137 coasters in 26 days! I can't wait to see the rest of the photos.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby EmBy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:35 am

Nice photos Divv, that was some trip you have just done, you must have some amount of photos collected. Bit of a pain hearing about the camera problems, always happens at the wrong time.

Funny to see you hated the food at Camelot too. I found the chips awful, they sure weren't from potatoes anyway :devil: .

Finally, is that 'The Drachen' or 'Crazy Chase' you are on at New Pleasureland? I can't figure it out.

Postby Divv3k » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:36 am

^^ I don't know how I'm managing to function either. Since I've got home I had two consecutive nights of heavy drinking and I pulled an all-nighter too!

Into "recovery week" now - which will chiefly consist of writing this report!

^ Yeah, the camera problems were a downer but I suppose you just need to take these things in your stride.

I honestly can't remember the name of the coaster at Southport - any ideas Tom?

-----

PART THREE: GULLIVER'S WORLD

The next day we went to Gulliver's World in Warrington, a small family park. It was actually really nice. None of the rides blew you away or anything but there was a real friendly atmosphere and everyone seemed to have a good time. Gullivers does have a small wooden coaster called Antelope. Nothing special, it jolted you back and forward a bit which wasn't great. But still, it was good to ride a wooden coaster again - something I hadn't done since Balder last September. Another three credits in the bag.

I should also give a shout out to the great food and the laugh we had whilst eating the food!
S7003414 (Custom).JPG
Another sunny day, another park! I'll need to get used to this!
S7003415 (Custom).JPG
Tom kicks off the festivities once again.
S7003420 (Custom).JPG
Then we head straight for the small woodie - Antelope!
S7003418 (Custom).JPG
The first of many wood coasters for me on this trip.
S7003423 (Custom).JPG
There was also this mine train/wild mouse/kiddie coaster hybrid.
S7003421 (Custom).JPG
The credit whores were out in full force!
S7003424 (Custom).JPG
There's also a wild mouse - which is always good at throwing you from side to side.
S7003425 (Custom).JPG
With the credits out the way it was time to make some fun for ourselves...
S7003426 (Custom).JPG
Like throwing Nadia into a minging cauldron.
S7003428 (Custom).JPG
Oh and Tom got chucked in too...
S7003430 (Custom).JPG
Although Tom was a little more agile than Nadia.
S7003431 (Custom).JPG
Trademark Tom leap...
S7003433 (Custom).JPG
And that was my day at Gulliver's World! Thanks to all the good people at Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits who were there!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby bpbbabe99 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:17 am

LMAOOOO Divv!! I have tearss!! Those pictures brought back soo many memories haha!! me in the minging cauldron full of mud and those polystyrene bow things!! and yes, what a laugh at dinner, so so funny!! Homemade expensive food n lotsa random stories!!!

Can't wait to see all your other piccie reports, keep them coming dood!!

Postby Divv3k » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:27 am

Yeah that really was some horrible looking crap in there!
S7003427 (Custom).JPG
Gratuitous blurry photo of Nadia's leg and assorted cauldron crap.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby bpbbabe99 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:42 am

Yay Divv, that shows the extent of the crap in there :b I was so scared going in lol!!!

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive