Photo TR: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, 7-8-07

Wipeout Obsession...(More pix added!)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
It's All About Quality!

Photo TR: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, 7-8-07

Postby Angry_Gumball » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Just got back from the Boardwalk a while ago, and we had a great day.

<<PREPARE FOR SOME LONG READING, OR SKIP TO THE PHOTOS!>>

Starting off, we met "Man" at the BART station and gave him a ride to SCBB. We got there around 10:20 or so. The weather? Cold and foggy...then it either warmed up or we just got hot from constantly causing Wipeout to spin like crazy...It was actually quite a workout. Like usual, we looked around, snapped a few photos of some SCBB history and some sleeping rides. Boardwalk rides open so we snag 2 rides on the Giant Dipper, trying to come up with some funny poses. Off to the "River Walk" section of the park, or as I call the Pit. We rode Ghost Blasters as there was no line and we wanted some competition. (It's a Sally Dark Ride involving shooting ghosts). After that, we hit up the Breakdancer 4/Rodeo, Wipeout. Walk on, and actually it was only just us 2 on it. And we had just as much fun waiting for the ride to start as we did riding by getting the cars to spin like crazy at a standstill. Didn't spin much during the ride until we found out that we could make it spin more while it's running. We then hit up the Rock-O-Plane and tried to flip as much as we could....I didn't even get 1 whole flip in...(Boo!) so I gave up. We met up with my bro and his friend and rode the sky ride over to hurricane..Almost a walkon, just waited for the train to finish it's course. Up next, Doubleshot. First ride today felt 'meh' as I didn't get any air or stomach tingles. Back over to the Dipper for 2 more rides...Sadly, ran in 1-train operations, but the crew still did a nice job getting people on and off. After, we split and Man and I hit up Fireball. (They actually let me POV it, but the op was really nervous about the camcorder being on there.) Back over to Wipeout again for some mad spinning sessions. Time for lunch...or snacks in this case. We just went into the liquor store for a candy and soda (I know...great choice of food). Back over to Double shot for 2 more back-to-back rides. Turns out that the operator recognized my TPR shirt and that he reads TPR's boards all the time. His screen name was SFMM something...(Forgot). Great to meet a fellow member once again. Finally, over to the Pirate for a quick ride. We headed back to the Dipper for the last ride followed by a few more sessions on Wipeout. (For some reason, this simple flat amazes me...maybe it's the lights, or what we could actually pull off on it). That pretty much wraps up the day. One last note that I must add: Moser Freefall kiddy rides are awesome! You get some nice pseudo airtime on it along with a nice tingly sensation. Now, onto the photos.
2.jpg
Who knew...The Giant Dipper was green! Looks weird. Any idea what kind of trains those are? (They look like maybe retro morgans)
3.jpg
Pre-Neptune's Kingdom stuff. The plunge, which was an indoor pool n stuff.
4.jpg
Wow...scary @$$ woman!
5.jpg
Ok, so I did get my picture taken with Mrs. Laffing Sal.
6.jpg
Before the park opened, I tried the UFO catcher crane...Almost impossible as they made it "butterfingers." My bro, surprisingly won something out of it.
7.jpg
Yay...the arse of Wipeout's car! (Actually, I meant to get a pic of Man, but his car turned suddenly and mooned me.)
8.jpg
Fireballs...
9.jpg
"Bleh...27 rock-o-plane flips don't agree with me...I'm about to blow some serious chunks!"
10.jpg
Dude...these things actually sell for like 5 bucks a piece on ebay...(No, not the shoes, the Carousel ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings!)
11.jpg
Doesn't this dude have anything better to do than ride this thing all day long and then sit there all night in the frigid Monterey fog?
12.jpg
Yay for Doubleshot! How many birds have been killed by this contraption anyway?
13.jpg
Uh...you too lady...Get a life, quit riding the sky gliders all day long.
14.jpg
Hurricane swooping down it's first "drop." Not a big drop, but I did get some decent airtime on it after the first drop.
15.jpg
Wow...this park was crowded...(No, really it actually was. This only lasted 5 minutes.)
16.jpg
Some people call this coaster track, I call this abstract art!
17.jpg
Best element ever on Hurricane! Oh wait...I'm still feeling the headache from it.
18.jpg
Wow...old photo of the Dipper. Yes, those are all people on the lift building it within 47 days. Great job peeps!
19.jpg
So that's what they had before the Giant Dipper, eh?
20.jpg
Fireballs again... (Yes, I like calling it Fireballs.)
21.jpg
I just love this shot...Used (And learned) manual shutter settings for Wipeout, my new favorite flatride.
22.jpg
Typhoon...didn't ride as it looked painful/uncomfortable.
23.jpg
A trainload of riders plunging down the first drop and into the building! (Ouch!)
24.jpg
Sweet...mutated Runts!
25.jpg
The newly installed Wurlitzer organ for the Looff Carousel.
26.jpg
A rare feature for carousels today...which is what makes this worthy besides it's age.
27.jpg
Yes, it's Wipeout again...This ride does a wonderful job with manual exposure settings!
28.jpg
Surprised this shot came out as the lights came on 1 of of a second after the shutter opened. (I had it open for 2.5 seconds)
29.jpg
Queued up for Doubleshot, just before I talked to the ride op, Scott about TPR.
30.jpg
Preparing for liftoff.
31.jpg
Bouncy-Bouncy!
Thanks for reading!

THE_J3W

Postby man » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:34 pm

aw you totally left out the part where I got the rock-o-plane to flip 22 times at one point and 27 times another time
Is there anything better than a taco?

My coaster count: 248
Penguino coaster count: 15

Full Fledged Pirate Enthusiast!

Postby phazan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:44 am

Nice TR! I agree with you on Wipeout, that ride rocks! Too bad we were two days off on our trips, though!! Maybe next summer...

Full Fledged Great America Enthusiast!

Postby Sunfire » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:57 pm

I just went to Boardwalk last week (July 3) and I LOVE WIPEOUT! The strobe lights make it the best flat ride ever. My other favorite flats are Cyclone and Rock O Plane. But Giant Dipper is hands down the most incredible roller coaster I have ever been on. If you've ridden it, you know why I say this. Have you seen the airtime you get on it?! AWESOME! :D

But has anyone noticed that Rock O Plane makes some very wierd noises when you rock it at some points? I hesitated sometimes to make it flip.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:36 pm

Seeing that I'm not the only Wipeout enthusiast out there, I threw a quick offride/onride clip of this ride in action including Man's mad spinning skills. For those who haven't ridden it will get the opportunity to see why it's cool. The ops didn't even care that we were making ourselves spin constantly before the ride started...Last year, different story. Anyway, you can check out the clip here. Feel free to rate/comment it!

Just added the Rock-O-Plane clip of 27 flips here. (I know, the crazy on Youtube did more but that's a good start!

TPR's Official Led Zeppelin Fan

Postby chmilo24 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:57 pm

You should have ridden Typhoon, that ride is awesome. They leave you hanging there for like 2 minutes while your talking to the people in the other car.
Thirty And Seven

THE_J3W

Postby man » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:17 pm

chmilo24 wrote:You should have ridden Typhoon, that ride is awesome. They leave you hanging there for like 2 minutes while your talking to the people in the other car.
lol we would've but most of us were feeling really sick by than
Is there anything better than a taco?

My coaster count: 248
Penguino coaster count: 15

Full Fledged Great America Enthusiast!

Postby Sunfire » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:52 pm

I went on Typhoon too. Absolutely insane! I think it's the scariest flat, the way they leave you upside down for like ten seconds. I'm not exaggerating either!

I laughed at your comments about those random people on the skyglider. They scare me. :wtf:

TPR's Official Led Zeppelin Fan

Postby chmilo24 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:55 pm

man wrote:
chmilo24 wrote:You should have ridden Typhoon, that ride is awesome. They leave you hanging there for like 2 minutes while your talking to the people in the other car.
lol we would've but most of us were feeling really sick by than

It does, and I guess eating 3 cheeses on a stick 5 min before hand doesn't help.
Thirty And Seven

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby HHIslandGirl » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:27 pm

I loved reading your trip report!!
Is it terribly lame of me that everytime I see anything about SCBB all I think of is "The Lost Boys"? I keep expecting to see a gothed-out Kiefer Sutherland on the carousel!

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive