Photo TR: NYC Trip featuring Coney Island

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Photo TR: NYC Trip featuring Coney Island

Postby N'at Man » Tue May 29, 2007 7:16 pm

I spent the Memorial Day weekend in New York city along with fellow travel companions Dave and Janna. The pictures will tell the story but we started off with a laid back day at Coney Island on Saturday. Janna had never been there and we all wanted to visit before it is "transformed" next year. We had a really great time and the weather cooperated. We did all of the standard things like lunch at Nathan's, Spook-A-Rama, Wonder Wheel and the El Dorado Auto Skooters among other things.

The Cyclone track seemed flawless yet the layout and four bench trains still meant some very intense rides. I used to think the Cyclone was somewhat overrated but recently it's grown on me. It's a ride that still strikes some fear into you and when you finish a ride on it you know you endured a wild experience. The in-your-face atmospshere is unmatched and who needs fastpass when you can reride for only $4 (normally $6) along with upgrading your seat.

On Sunday we took in a Yankees game and we also spent some time in Central Park. We rode the carousel and Dave picked up the kiddie credit at Victorian Gardens (I already had the credit).

I didn't take any pictures of Adventureland on Monday but we had a 50 minute visit. I'd been here before but it was new to Dave and Janna. We rode the two coasters, the dark ride and Crocodile Run. We really lucked out with the traffic. We seemed to be heading the right way while we saw some backups the other way (such as I-78 EB - Yikes!).
nyc30.jpg
First stop is Coney Island, home of Nathan's Famous.
nyc29.jpg
The Bowery
nyc28.jpg
Saturn 6 ride
nyc27.jpg
Deno's Wonder Wheel Park
nyc16.jpg
The main attraction at Deno's is the Wonder Wheel with its swinging cars.
nyc15.jpg
Spook-a-rama is also located at Deno's.
nyc26.jpg
Astroland is in it's final season of operation.
nyc25.jpg
Luckily the Coney Island Cyclone will stay put.
nyc21.jpg
The Cyclone lift hill and sign.
nyc23.jpg
Cyclone
nyc22.jpg
Cyclone
nyc24.jpg
Nearby the Cyclone is a history booth in the works where I got a glimpse of this old Steeplechase horse.
nyc20.jpg
Dante's Inferno dark ride in Astroland.
nyc19.jpg
The insane Break Dance at Astroland.
nyc18.jpg
Astroland Midway
nyc12.jpg
Parachute Jump tower and the boardwalk.
nyc13.jpg
Another view of the Parachute Jump.
nyc11.jpg
The El Dorado Auto Skooters has a great sound system and light show. Bump, bump, bump your a$$ off.
nyc14.jpg
The Coney Island Sideshow
nyc4.jpg
We took the 4 train to Yankee Stadium.
nyc5.jpg
Outside Yankee Stadium.
nyc10.jpg
We walked through Monument Park before the game with the Angels.
nyc9.jpg
Babe Ruth plaque
nyc8.jpg
Tim in the outfield.
nyc7.jpg
A view from our seats.
nyc6.jpg
Beer thread! Let's see, should we spend $8 for Bud Light or Pilsner Urquell?
nyc1.jpg
Victorian Gardens in Central Park (aka Zamperla World).
nyc2.jpg
Central Park Carousel
nyc3.jpg
Janna and Dave ride the carousel.
--Tim

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Wed May 30, 2007 5:53 pm

It's good to see Coney Island all bustling, it's gonna be odd looking in a couple of years, so thanks for sharing these pictures to archive the memory of Coney as I remember it. Thanks for showing other stuff in NYC as well, someday I'll get to Yankee Stadium, assuming Ellen's not with us. :lolr:
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Postby Disney Dood » Wed May 30, 2007 5:57 pm

It was all good till those damn Yankees came along.....

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!