Retro Photo TR: Cedar Point 1986

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
What I do and who I am

Retro Photo TR: Cedar Point 1986

Postby pianojohn » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:10 pm

"It was 20 years ago today..."

Well, a little more than 20, but I did find some pics from my first summer working at Cedar Point. I will keep looking for more, but for those who don't remember what the Point was like (or were not even BORN yet!) enjoy!!

EDIT: I added a few off season pics from 1989 when they were building Magnum. Pretty cool!!

Added a few more pics! Enjoy!
MillRace1986.jpg
Ah....the old Mill Race. In this spot now sits the Raptor. The Midway Carousel was also there before being moved to the main entrance.
Corkscrew1986.jpg
The view from the skyride. Notice the lack of Iron Dragon, Mantis, Coasters, Power Tower, and Dragster but the PLETHORA of trees!
John1986.jpg
Where it all began! Me playing piano for "Ain't We Got Fun!" at Lusty Lil's Golden Palace Theatre in Frontiertown. Now, it's just the Palace Theatre.
Magnum1.jpg
From downtown Sandusky. Back then Magnum seemed HUGE! Amazing what 15 years can do!
Magnum2.jpg
Magnum3.jpg
CP1.jpg
A pic of Avalanche Run pre Disaster Transport from the sky ride.
CP2.jpg
Ah...the Mill Race.
CP3.jpg
One more pic from the Space Spiral of Corkscrew Midway. Wow...they sure had a lot of trees. This was also in 1986 prior to the closing of the Frontier Lift and the installation of Iron Dragon.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ducky » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:20 pm

funny tr from back in the day

Flight of James: Ride of Steel the Revenge

Postby jamesdillaman » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:21 pm

Nicely done, I've seen you post on here a couple times and always wondered about your screen name. What style of music did you play in the show? I'm assuming stride or ragtime? I played keyboard once for a 60's show at Dollywood, but only as a month-long sub for their normal guy. Props for actually going out and getting a job playing piano. The gigs I've had here in Cincinnati are fleeting because all the piano bars are going away :(

-James Dillaman

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby itsme102 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:24 pm

Wow, only being 15 years old and never seeing CP like that before, that's really intresting to me. Who would have known then that where all those trees were going to be the huge array of coasters that they have today..

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:25 pm

Very cool. I love old school things.

What I do and who I am

Postby pianojohn » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Yes, it was a vaudeville show with mostly show tunes and shtick. I did it for 2 years, then 2 years in the country show (which is now torn down and replaced by Skyhawk) and one year doing a 40's show at Centennial Theatre.

Going on 20 years now in theme park entertainment! And looking for more cool pics from back in the day....

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Wow, I too am blown away by the amount of trees they used to have.

I understand the Cedar Fairzation of parks (lots of concrete and trashcans) even more now. Kind of sad.

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Cedar Point was beautiful way back when! I remember it being so lush with trees when I was about 5 or 6 and that the whole park had shade (which my mom loved)! Too bad all the replaced it with is concrete and steel phallic devices.

Colin C

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby coaster05 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:17 pm

I agree about the loss of trees. I have been going to CP since I was 6. though the rides have gotten much better the park has gotten Much worse. I really miss the old days at CP. I loved that flume also.

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:23 pm

Yeah, look what 20 years can do. Nice pictures, these retro tr's are great.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive