Photo TR: PKD 4/9/06

BACT and cheerleaders, oh yey!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I'm the gyro!

Photo TR: PKD 4/9/06

Postby DerekRx » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:40 pm

I haven't been to Kings Dominion since they got their last new coaster, which I guess was 2002 so since I was in Virginia and the rest of the team was heading there on Sunday I thought I would join them. I noticed a few days before that it was cheerleading weekend, which I think is pretty much EVERY weekend at a Paramount park since my visit to Canada next month will also be a cheerleader weekend. With that little tidbit and the fact that Italian Job wasn't going to be opened until later next month (even though commercials in the area say "now showing" which is TOTAL false advertising!) I figured I'd pick up a season pass, since I knew I'd need a few days this season at the parks.

Well, Greg (Glutenfree) drove up with me since we were going to both buy passes and use the 2 for 69.99 each special. We got there just before opening at 10:30 to find a huge crowd to get into the park. Not a problem though, as we still needed to get our passes and then process them. Well, only 2 out of 12 of the season pass sales windows were opened, and each had a line of about 10 people. 10 minutes later we were 3 people away from getting our tickets when the computer went down. 10 minutes later it was still down, yet no one came over to help us, open another window etc. Then someone mentioned how long the line was to process the pass. Since it was already 11:00 and Greg and I were already frustrated (as was everyone else in the line) we said screw it and used our ACE discount to just get in for the day. When you're having a bad day before you even get INTO the park, you really don't want to give them more money than you have to. You would think that at the beginning of the season a park who keeps advertising sales on season passes would actually have more staff working the sales windows and processing stations, instead of 13 people there to take your picture when you get inside the park. Things like that and their metal detector set up really make me dislike that park (along with their operations as of late). I think of all the parks I've been to, Magic Mountain of all parks has a great set up for metal detectors, you go thru them BEFORE you go thru the turnstile, thus not slowing the lines into the park. Luckily we had plenty of friends to hang out with and keep things fun once we got inside.

It was a pretty poor day though, we managed to ride 5 coasters in 5 hours. Italian Job is NOWHERE near complete (it may compete with El Toro for which takes longer, and El Toro may lose that battle!). Hypersonic, Rebel Yell, and Grizzly were all running only 1 train until around 3pm; Rebel still only ran 1 train, but at least they attempted to race. Drop Zone broke when we were next in line to ride, and we got linejumped right in front of the op by about 15 "island folk". The op didn't care though, he was too concerned with people sitting on the handrails. :roll:

So, that concludes my PKD visit for the year, I'll stop by next year on my way home from Busch for a quick (LOL!) ride on IT. I think I'll spend more time at Busch though, the beer may not be the greatest in the universe, but the park is much better than anything Paramount can attempt to throw at us.

Enjoy the photos from the day!
PKD0406001.jpg
Here we stood for around 15 minutes without moving. Part was because the "Southern Belle" (cheerleader mom) wanted 5 passes, but said she only wanted 1. The rest was because its Kings Dominion, and waiting in line is Paramount!
PKD0406061.jpg
Here's that Tower thing thats a replica of the one in Cincinnati
PKD0406003.jpg
Yey! We're inside the park, we're having fun!
PKD0406005.jpg
Why are Adam and Tim so happy? Why, its because they're waiting for 1 train operational Hypersuckit!
PKD0406006.jpg
Very powerful launch, very rough turnaround.
PKD0406008.jpg
And then you go SLAM! into your super-heavy-keeps-falling-down-on-you restraint
PKD0406009.jpg
Janna finds a way to keep both herself and Borg entertained while in line
PKD0406011.jpg
Cool, no wait in the station.
PKD0406012.jpg
Oh, there's the wait, that's right they're running only 1 train
PKD0406015.jpg
If you look closely, some toolbox lost their hat on the ride
PKD0406014.jpg
Hurler was closed because its too difficult to get rides operational by opening day.
PKD0406017.jpg
This is Shock Wave, its a Togo death standup. We chose to skip it. But I took a picture of it, why?
PKD0406020.jpg
Because its got a vertical loop! However it does not have 2, and therefore not interlocking. If you want interlocking loops, you'll have to go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg
PKD0406019.jpg
Rebel Yell was running both sides after 12, but only 1 train on each. At least they attempted to race them
PKD0406023.jpg
Yeah, this is the Italian Job Turbo Stunt Track Something or Other Coaster: The Ride, but it ain't gonna be ready for a while.
PKD0406024.jpg
I guess you'll enter over by Volcano and Tomb Raider by the Grille
PKD0406025.jpg
This is Volcano, its the reason I came here, and it actually opened with the park, unlike its cousin in Spain
PKD0406037.jpg
It has no vertical loop, but I still like it, probably because it has fire, 2 launches, and a really hot sister
PKD0406032.jpg
Oh yeah, it was cheerleading weekend, I almost forgot. Here are some chicks ready to lose all their curlers on Volcano
PKD0406033.jpg
Tim is pumped, but I'm not sure if its because he's going to ride Volcano in the front seat or because he likes the cheerleading going on in the station
PKD0406026.jpg
Here's Tomb Raider, it sits by Volcano, shoots fire, sprays water, and attempts to destroy scrotums.
PKD0406027.jpg
This IS an acceptable level of water, but it is NOT an acceptable level of nutcracking
PKD0406034.jpg
Lunch was at Bubba Gumps, because it was one of the only *safe* places that was opened
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:58 pm

More photos from the day:
PKD0406028.jpg
Avalanche, the only Mack bobsled in North America, and one of the funnest rides at the park!
PKD0406040.jpg
Its not the best Mack bobsled, but its still lots of fun, and even the little ones can ride it
PKD0406038.jpg
While in line for Avalanche, everyone looks normal...
PKD0406039.jpg
Except they can't touch the bricks!
PKD0406041.jpg
Scooby had too long of a wait, leaving my new since 2002 at PKD count remaining at zero
PKD0406042.jpg
Luckily the Treasure Cave still exists and has no line! (probably the ONLY thing at PKD that doesn't!)
PKD0406043.jpg
Everyone enjoys the wacky ending to the Treasure Cave, as well as the rest of the cute little walk thru
PKD0406044.jpg
Random Paramount bigwig says "lets get some outside vendors. How about one that's closed 50% of the time during our early and late operating season. That sounds brilliant!"

Stupid Chick-Fil-A
PKD0406045.jpg
Oooh, Drop Zone, Intamin goodness...
PKD0406047.jpg
This guy is enjoying a nap while the ops take forever checking the restraints
PKD0406046.jpg
"Congratulations, you've just been line-jumped by 15 Jamaicans, you're next to ride, and the ride is broken. What are you going to do now?!"

Me: "I'm going anywhere NOT operated by Paramount!"
PKD0406049.jpg
Best thing at PKD, the closed Ham on Rye. Makes for a great waiting area while your friends are still in line for something running only 1 train
PKD0406050.jpg
Give us a beer and the park may have redeemed itself with this new VIP seating area
PKD0406051.jpg
PKD bigwig: "Grizzly isn't hard enough to find, lets remove the ride entrance sign. Another brilliant idea, I'm giving myself a raise!"
PKD0406056.jpg
Hooray, this ride is actually running 2 trains now! Tim and Greg don't have to wait more than 10 minutes for the front seat FINALLY
PKD0406058.jpg
This will become go-carts, because no other park in the world has go-carts
PKD0406060.jpg
At least Hanna Barbera survived after getting the boot from Universal Studios. Sadly, Meteor Attack is gone :''(
PKD0406062.jpg
LOL! Dumb Fries and Man Asses. If the ACE Coaster Museum isn't being built here, someone needs to seriously consider relocating before ground is broken!
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Jonathan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:17 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like all of the G forces on Tomb Raider are directed straight into your crotch (see my TR a thread down from yours). It's funny how different our visits sound, even though they were just a day apart; thank god for the rain on Saturday I guess!

I love pickles. No more comments neccesary.

Postby USRoadTripper » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm

Derek, you are the master of the self-portait! Great TR!
And maybe I am just being dense, but what does BACT mean??

-Julie
Current coaster count : 223
waterviper [1:08am]: jahan i know you 17 and all but I think your one great piece of ass
arrowfanman [1:36am]: Good...now we have the trifecta of ass-wanting!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm

Nice report, looks like you had fun.

What was with the funky rainbow paint job on the TOGO standup? That was...interesting...

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I feel boring

Postby Pelydr » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Yessssss! You recongnize the Avalanche greatness! The one time I went to this park I rode it over and over again! This was before there was any "major" ride there! Sooooooooo fun.

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:33 am

^^^Beer and Coaster Team

LOL this tr makes me REALLY want to go to PKD! Not!

I still think it's amusing how when I went, the ride I wanted to go on the most was Avalanche, and I could not find it for the life of me. Now that I think about it, I wonder if it was closed during Volcano construction. That might be why.

I also did not see the sweet Togo standup! I would have been all over that! Man, what was I doing that day? Yeah, I definitely need to head back there. Maybe it will be raining and/or cold when I go. Seems to work for me at PCW.
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:44 am

I haven't been to PKD since 2002 either. Based on this report, I'm in no hurry to get back. This park used to be a lot better than this...

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:23 am

What? They got around to running two trains on Grizzly? The gods have smiled on you! I can't remember the last time PKD ran two trains on any of their woodies (at least they picked the best one).

Flight of James: Ride of Steel the Revenge

Postby jamesdillaman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:54 am

My girlfriend Julia and I will be heading to PKD on April 22nd. If anyone's in the area who would like to hang out, PM me.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive