What's Your REAL Job, Robb?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Ask us a question about trip planning, coaster videos, rodent encounters or donkeys!
M-Oral Violations

What's Your REAL Job, Robb?

Postby Nemmy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:33 pm

Just wondering.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:50 am.
Coaster Count: 537

The proud creator of two stickies:

Video Song List
Robb's Job

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:36 pm

This will give you some idea:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0994791/

http://pc.ign.com/articles/507/507252p1.html?fromint=1

--Robb "or simply put...I make video games..." Alvey

Desperate Housewife Who Wants to Live in THIS Castle!

Postby disneygurlz2s » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:58 pm

Ahhh.... the answer to the question I have been asking myself for more than a year now.

Shari "I wanna go to all these theme parks :cry: " Shoufler

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby CoasterCrazy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:04 pm

Robb how did you get into the gaming world? I'm thinking about trying to get into making games. And I would like some advice from someone thats already in it.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:00 pm

I know you didn't ask me, but I have an idea as well because my brother is interested in this field. Believe it or not, being active in the online mod and gaming communities is a good start. It's kind of a way to build up a portfolio without ever working for a game company. Next up, try to get in as a "tester". You're starting out at the bottom, but sometimes that's what you have to do.

Also, you have to be more specific..what exactly would you like to do in the games business? There are roles in pretty much every normal aspect, as well as managing, building, scripting, programming, art, etc.

There are also several colleges that now also offer programs in Gaming. Fulsail comes to mind.

I'm sure Robb will help more later!

Elissa "married to a gamer!" Alvey

One time I ate pancakes

Postby Mr. Volcano » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Dont forget Robb's products are also being sold at Burger King right now in happy meals :wink:

CoasterCrazy, the gaming industry is a good start, I know the forum wasn't addressed to me, but I'm going to college next year for computer graphics and game design, possibly to go work for some company like Atari or something.

If I dont end up in that field ill end off going to another computer technician field of some sort, theres so many things to do when you take a course through college on computering, its amazing :)

-Justin

Look, it's Buddy Christ!

Postby DerangedChild » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:39 pm

I'm also interested in video game design, but I want to be an 'official story-board creator.' I'm a bit of a creative writer and I feel that video games can best express my stories.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:44 pm

I used to work in games, so I'll add some stuff. Elissa is right, get invovled in the modding community. It's stuff you can show off, especially if your mod gets finished.

If you want to be an artist, I'm not sure that majoring in Computer Graphics is a good idea. I think you can teach yourself almost as much by purchasing a decent 3D program and learning on your own. It depends on how motivated you are, of course. If you're interested in the computer graphics end of gaming at all, I advise you to hang out and read over at http://www.cgtalk.com. Especially read the various discussions about all the schools and programs out there, as the place is packed with people that work in the CG industry and you can pick up a ton of pointers about schools and programs there.

Getting into a company can be hard. You may have to take a testing or tech support job to get in. You'll make crap money and the job will likely drive you mad, but if you do decent work and can stick it out, you'll usually have a chance to move on. That's how I ended up in marketing.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. Any other questions, ask away...

dt

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Corkscrewed » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:47 pm

Hahaha! You're actually on imdb? Wow. They certain go all out to include everything.

So Elissa... where do YOU work? ;)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:51 pm

^ I drop her off every morning in the Valley. She says she's making "Educational entertainment for adults...." :wink:

Next

Return to Ask Alvey