Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Universal Studios Singapore Discussion Thread

Postby kodpeace » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Was able to ride both Human and Cylon yesterday (Feb 5) during regular park hours in the afternoon. Took a friend from Japan there, it was quite crowded, and was surprised to see it running, since coasters were clearly labeled as closed at an entrance placard. Initially saw lots of excited-looking guests run up to the rides, only to be turned away, so assumed it was testing by staff or by invitation only. Later in the afternoon it was running sporadically, so I decided to ask about the tests, expecting to be turned away, and bam, they said go on in!! Apparently everyone else assumed the same, seems to me most people were not even trying to queue anymore. No ride wait times posted, no crowds gathering, it really looked closed. Anyhow, rode Human first, then tried Cyclon immediately afterwards but was denied entry, tried again an hour later and got on. Maybe they were throttling capacity, letting people in small bursts or such, should have asked. Both coasters seemed to be running more or less consistently the rest of the day.

So my advice to everyone is that if you see it running, just try to get on; talk to the staff, and don't give up trying to queue.

Good luck to all, hope this continues until official opening. BTW, Human was a good ride, Cyclon was excellent. It was pouring rain while I was on Cyclon, so felt like I was being hurled into a typhoon! I was far more soaked than after Jurassic Park. Amazing fun.

cheers,
-kodpeace

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby digimax » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:45 pm

How tall is the Transformers ride building?

There's stairway access up to 3 stories, but the building is about 4.5 to 5 stories tall. The ride should have 2 levels as the old rumors suggest.

BSG Soft-opening for the re-opening of its soft-opening phase (21/02):

Postby digimax » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 am

I was at the park today (couldn't wait for AP preview nights honestly) and took both rides for a spin.. Well, NOT.. I went on many times actually.

How does it work? Although it is clearly stated at the Park gates that BSG is CLOSED... you get to ride both roller-coasters, and it is usually a walk-on, unless you want front-row seats. Both sides may not launch at the same time, but most of the time they do. The "technical rehearsals" have somewhat random schedules - sometimes the ride is open for 1-2 hours, and takes 0.5 to 1 hour breaks in between "rehearsal" sessions. After some inactivity, the ride would start testing without passengers, and usually after a round or two the queue would be open for guests. There is no signboard or anything to show the ride's actual status, although it is easy to tell (if the crew members are standing beside the placard, usually it's closed) Like what kodpeace said, just ask the crew members, they seem quite friendly nowadays.

There has been no major changes done on the ride vehicle - it is as "violent", "noisy" or "rocky" as usual. Nor were there noticeable differences with the ride restraints. The queue decor is exactly the same, except a longer ride info video that shows the actual, real-world ride in action (somewhat detracts from the original ride video which was heavily themed, IMO). And oh, they added a HUGE screen at the entrances to warn people what to expect.. As if having the ride happening right above them not putting a message across.

The Cylon Vertical Loop pit has a lot less fog - hopefully it is just for the rehearsals phase because there isn't enough for that whole "near-miss" illusion with floor. Interestingly the CYLON ride vehicle doesn't slow down much at the top of the loop anymore. As for Human, the train seems to lose speed at the very top of the launch hill (instead of having the "WHOOSH" a la CYLON) - I don't remember that happening in March 2010.

Dueling seems to have improved - I could actually see/feel the "near-miss" now, but the synchronization goes off at the some places.

Just want to add something, with BSG reopening and making a lot of noise (literally), the other E-ticket rides in the park (Jurassic Park Rapids, Revenge of The Mummy) seems to be losing their customers!!! lol.

Park additions/changes (not sure when it happened, I last visited the park in Early-Jan and these weren't there)

Seems like they've installed some new sheltered walkways:

Some new live show at Sci-Fi City involving dancing with Starbucks (and some guy, both from BSG universe). Sorry her face was blocked off.

Attractive signage for LCA:

Maintenance at the Globe (hopefully to fix the rotor, it has been down since October 2010)
Last edited by digimax on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 pm.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 pm

Glad to see these 2 coasters back up and running after such a long bout of downtime/repairs. I know they're Vekomas, but the layouts do look pretty cool (especially Cylon).
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Spideyfreak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

I will truly roll over laughing if something like this ends up in the ride or preshow...

I can't wait until I ride Transformers!

Postby digimax » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Was at the park last night for more BSG. The park had extended hours (10am till 9pm, ride queues close at 8:45pm - this continues until 13th February) with the Lake Hollywood Spectacular show (9:30pm). After around 7:30pm, the park got really.. empty which was startling, but great for photos (and going through rides over and over, often without even leaving at unload.)

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:01 am

What building is that in Sci-Fi city?

Postby digimax » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:07 am

Jew wrote:What building is that in Sci-Fi city?

It's the facade for the Transformers ride (and rumored future retail/F&B outlet).

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby SamanthaMc92 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 am

Oh man, I would absolutely KILL to go here!
But i doubt that i'll have the time/funds to go anytime in the near, near future......

I look forward to it in a good few years :roll:

The BSG coasters like incredible!
Which is better: Human or Cylon? Can anybody who's ridden both shed any light? :) I'm curious!
I want to ride every single ride in the WORLD by the time i'm 30 - Do you think i'm being overambitious? ;)

Postby digimax » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:18 am

SamanthaMc92 wrote:Oh man, I would absolutely KILL to go here!
But i doubt that i'll have the time/funds to go anytime in the near, near future......

I look forward to it in a good few years :roll:

The BSG coasters like incredible!
Which is better: Human or Cylon? Can anybody who's ridden both shed any light? :) I'm curious!

I've taken both many times! I'd say Cylon, but it depends on personal tastes?? Human gives some great air-time, but only at the start. The second half gets boring after a while. Cylon, on the other hand has many inverted elements. I've not really taken similar types of coaster anywhere, but my favourite part of both rides is the noisy launch and being able to "interact" with the other side for that short moment. Both rides have minimalistic restraint design, which is a plus for rollercoaster fans and sometimes scares off the rest.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!