Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 428: Seaside Splashworks water play structure announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I eat bugs.

Re: The Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby deathbydinn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Heres the full article.

Dorney Park lining up more thrills
Company won't identify new ride, but that hasn't stopped the speculating.

Mum's the word on a new ride slated to join Dorney Park's lineup of belly-dropping, giggle-inducing thrillers, and park representatives say enthusiasts will have to wait until summer 2012 to try it out.

Dorney Park's parent corporation, Cedar Fair L.P., submitted a plan to South Whitehall Township for a new 138-foot-high amusement ride. But the plan doesn't mention what kind of a ride it is, and the park's general manager, Jason McClure, said his lips are sealed.

"We are keeping our focus on 2011 and all the new things we have in store with Planet Snoopy," McClure said.

The park's opening day will reveal the results of an $8 million top-to-bottom makeover of 10-year-old Camp Snoopy, the 3.5-acre children's area named after the too-cool beagle from Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" comic strip. The renovation will bring six new rides, an amphitheater, a souvenir store and a "soda pop shop" featuring root beer floats.

Dorney representatives will take questions about the proposed 2012 addition from the South Whitehall Planning Commission on Feb. 17, but even that won't demystify the new ride.

"The Planning Commission can ask us a variety of questions… but it's premature to get into a lot of detail," McClure said.

That hasn't stopped people from speculating that the incoming ride will be a coaster from California's Great America called Invertigo. The coaster happens to be 138 feet tall and is being relocated to another park within Cedar Fair's amusement park empire, according to a Great America news release issued last week.

Invertigo takes riders sitting face to face up a 138-foot-tall tower, then on several loops and twists both forward and backward through three inversions.

The rumor of the swap surfaced last week on a theme-park fan site called Screamscape.com, but Dorney spokesman Chuck Hutchison said the rumors are just that — rumors.

Invertigo reopened in July almost a year after a mechanical failure left two dozen people trapped 80 feet in the air for at least three hours, according to CNN. All of the trapped riders were rescued and no one was injured.

Under Dorney's proposal for a new ride, several kiddie rides would be removed, as well as a basketball game, concrete midways and a portion of a paved service drive, affecting about 1.7 acres of the 187-acre property zoned as commercial recreation.

Three Dorney rides are listed for sale on Ital International LLC, which dubs itself as the amusement industry's most comprehensive new and used ride brokerage source. The Antique Cars and Dune Buggy rides are both listed for $18,000, and the Kiddie Merry-Go-Round is listed for $25,000.

The ride is slated for the western portion of the park, just north of Lincoln Avenue and Dorney Park Road and south of the mammoth Steel Force coaster, where the old Laser coaster used to be.

The Laser was removed in 2008 after 22 years of double-loop thrills. The portable coaster, anchored by tanks of water, was originally named Colossus.

The site of the new ride, where Laser stood, is on the edge of a 100-year flood plain. The location caused heated debate at the township level when Dorney sought approval for Laser. It was eventually approved with a host of conditions attached.

If Invertigo greets fans in 2012, it would be the park's third inverted coaster, making Dorney Park the only amusement park in the country to have three true inverted coasters, according to a post on Screamscape.com.

McClure said the park will release more information on the ride this summer.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/eastpenn/mc-dorney-park-new-ride-20110202,0,5985707.story

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:35 pm

I remember having a thought about Invertigo being able to fit in Laser's former footprint right after I found out about Invertigo getting removed, but with Possessed being right there, it just seems redundant. But I guess that's where it's headed, for better or worse.

(22:06:18) ajc47: who are the obnoxious ones? (22:07:16) tatertot3710: Mr. Starr, jeremie, deathbydinn

Postby tatertot3710 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Here's exactly what the park put in for to the township. I'm wondering what the paved area for seasonal use would be for? Hopefully Haunt.
swt.png
Last Credit: Stinger (Dorney Park, 4/28) -- Bringing coaster count to 83

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Oh man, somewhere in a German cemetary Anton is rolling in his grave. A Vekoma replacing Laser...sad...

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Pretty sure that should be a sin of some sort. I personally prefer the Giant Inverted Boomerang's over the Invertigos.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:50 pm

SharkTums wrote:Oh man, somewhere in a German cemetary Anton is rolling in his grave. A Vekoma replacing Laser...sad...

It's like dumping Jessica Alba for Roseanne Barr, you can't even justify it by saying it's lower maintenance or better personality. Anton just rose from the grave and is heading for Dorney to voice his disapproval, he probably won't make it there until haunt, so no one will notice.

What I don't understand is aren't these Invertigos a maintenance nightmare, to the point of being not worth keeping?

(22:06:18) ajc47: who are the obnoxious ones? (22:07:16) tatertot3710: Mr. Starr, jeremie, deathbydinn

Postby tatertot3710 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:17 pm

^ Probably. Demon Drop is bad enough. Of my many visits last summer, I don't remember one trip that it didn't break down or become stuck at the top and have to be evacuated. I'm not even disappointed, just confused.
Last Credit: Stinger (Dorney Park, 4/28) -- Bringing coaster count to 83

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 pm

I think this will add nicely to Dorney's lineup. The GIBs are in a whole different league, but I've never not had fun on an Invertigo. In some ways I actually think they're more intense than their bigger cousins.
Been you to have any spike, man?

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Oh boy, 3 Inverts for Dorney, 2 right next to each other, this should be an interesting site. I miss Laser, the last time I was at Dorney was when Laser was still running, I really want to go now though so I can get on Possessed and the new ride.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 am

tatertot3710 wrote:^ Probably. Demon Drop is bad enough. Of my many visits last summer, I don't remember one trip that it didn't break down or become stuck at the top and have to be evacuated. I'm not even disappointed, just confused.

I went to Dorney for a day last year and it did not break down at all.

I am excited! I hope Dorney gets this coaster. It will make up for the disaster of Hydra. Which in my opinion is one of the worst coasters I have ever ridden but I know lots of people like it.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!