TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

If I may speculate. This sounds like a financial decision like the removal of Greezed Lightning and Stealth may have been...

To me, it looks like CGA doesn't have either 1) the maintenance staff to truly keep up with these coasters, or 2) these coasters were not fiscally useful to the park.

Hypersonic wouldn't had lasted 5 years at CGA.

Reminds me of Geauga Lake when X-Flight and Steel Venom were removed..................And we all know what happened to that park

My question is, could Invertigo be relocated to a park that could use a major new attraction?? *cough* Valleyfair* *cough*

Invertigo was in decent condition when I rode back in September of this last year and was a hell of a lot smoother than Deja Vu.

Well it's official. Invertigo is being relocated to another park to "open up new" opportunities for CGA. This was from their Facebook.

Update: official from CGA: http://www.cagreatamerica.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=1069

I was kind of in a rush this morning when I saw the news, and posted this from my iPod. But thought I should share it before I head off to work.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Invertigo Going to a New Home

After 12 years of service at California's Great America, Cedar Fair has decided to move the ride to another Cedar Fair park, and open up a new opportunity for Great America.

This is a business decision that is taking into consideration all of the Cedar Fair properties and allowing us to infuse capital into another park and opening up a great opportunity for a new attraction at Great America.

Although we do not discuss future plans that are not definate, our Corporate Design team has evaluated the location and plans are underway for the future of the location.

This is not unusual, in 2003 the ride Stealth was removed and relocated to Carowinds in Charlotte, N.C., to make way for what is now know as Boomerang Bay water park.

Stay tuned for more details as they are available!

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=1069

Edited by ernierocker

I'm not sure if the few of you were being sarcastic or not, but there's a better chance at Obama and Palin running together for pres/vice pres in 2012 than there is of ANY major Vekoma even SNIFFING the midway at Cedar Point.

Some of you people need to ingest a little dose of reality. Paramount didn't want to expand this park, and Cedar Fair doesn't want to expand this park. Read between the lines a little bit.

Edit: And as far as which park it goes to, there really aren't many viable choices. I think we can eliminate CP, KD, KI, Carowinds, CW, and KBF right off the bat. WOF has a Boomerang, so it won't go there, either. That leaves Valleyfair, Michigan's Adventure, and Dorney. All three would make sense, but I don't think we'll see it at MiA since they just got Thunderhawk. Dorney also just got a relocated GL coaster, so Valleyfair would seem to be the most logical choice.

Edited by Skycoastin Steve

The bad news for me is that I liked Invertigo. The good news is that that there are still two operating installations (one in the U.S.), and that this one will become a third. Looking forward to learning which park and when.

I can totally understand the "park is dead/dying" comments, but if we really do get a new coaster out of this, I'll be sure to make a visit. I don't like the park too much, but I could stand to hit some more flats and a few coasters.

"Definate"?

Wow, this is sad. As was said a few pages back, I totally expect that a Windseeker or something else will be going in that spot. They should take out Vortex. The ride sucks and it's a pretty big area for something new.

Maybe it will go to Knott's and they will just take out Boomerang and put it there.

This park is dead to me. I know I'm not adding anything that hasn't been said before but I just had to say it. At least to add ANOTHER person to the long list of people who feel the same. Flight Deck (the only good coaster in the park) is not enough of a reason to spend my money there. I'd rather go to Waterworld in Concord where at least I am guaranteed at least half a days worth of fun... and I don't even like water parks!

Even if CGA adds a woodie next year, I still don't think that's enough for this park to be able to survive. Discover Kingdom has a woodie, an SLC, a floorless, and an impulse! CGA lost it's charm a while ago, now they are losing their coasters, and I can't think of anything that else that is left. There is nothing that makes this park special to me.

The park has a height restriction so don't think anything too tall can be put in that spot, or anywhere in the park for that matter. Invertigo would fit lovely in Boomerang's spot........

Isn't Drop Zone over 300ft tall? If there is a restriction, I don't think its very low or I doubt they will get something 300+ft tall (unless its another Windseeker installation)

^ LOL

Try 224ft. Even with that, you're right that's still a decent height. I guess noise would more so be an issue as opposed to height. The Invertigo plot of land is more inward so noise is less likely to travel outside of the park. The original location of the GCI would have wrapped around the Sky Tower which is on the perimeter of the park close to office buildings.

^ The nice thing is that its easy to build a coaster with trenches and underground tunnels, so a hyper can be put in at that park! What sucks is that CGA will never get one!! I mean they take out all this steel to put in ONE wood?! What logic is that? Stealth was taken out cause of high down time right? I been reading that its doing just FINE now! Tidal Wave/Greased Lightnin' was out because of high maintenance costs. Now we're talking Invertigo... I see that it had its ups and downs, and has even been on the news, but why take it out just to put it at another park?

I also understand that ridership numbers come into play when deciding the fate of a ride, but what about Grizzly?! I mean Im sure that it has less numbers than invertigo or stealth! And they spend money on it every year to retrack it! They should have just took that out! Now, I would say give it the Texas Giant treatment but the layout is so tame already it might as well be totally rebuilt!

It sucks to me because this park has sentimental value to me! Vortex was my first inversion coaster! Tidal Wave Marathons with a record 22 times! And so many other memories! I guess nothing last forever and it seems that there is no saving this park! It doesnt have the room or potential to beat SFDK.

Stealth was taken out cause of high down time right? I been reading that its doing just FINE now!

I wouldn't say that. Nighthawk was down continuously from mid-July till early October this past season, and is in a dead heat with Carolina Cobra (the boomerang) as the most hated rides by Carowinds maintenance. I know for a fact the operations manager wishes that ride was never built.

But yeah, I guess it's doing just fine.

^ LOL

Try 224ft. Even with that, you're right that's still a decent height. I guess noise would more so be an issue as opposed to height. The Invertigo plot of land is more inward so noise is less likely to travel outside of the park. The original location of the GCI would have wrapped around the Sky Tower which is on the perimeter of the park close to office buildings.

Oh, haha. Ive been on one that was 300ft somewhere.

Stealth was taken out cause of high down time right? I been reading that its doing just FINE now!

I wouldn't say that. Nighthawk was down continuously from mid-July till early October this past season, and is in a dead heat with Carolina Cobra (the boomerang) as the most hated rides by Carowinds maintenance. I know for a fact the operations manager wishes that ride was never built.

But yeah, I guess it's doing just fine.

1st generation Boomerang's are pretty reliable. Nighthawk had lift gear box issues middle of this past season so yea that thing seems like a nightmare in regards to maintenance and the extremely low capacity it has.

Oh, haha. Ive been on one that was 300ft somewhere.

Kings Dominion or King's Island maybe? Both of those are above 300ft

Edited by DJeXeL