California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: The California's Great America Discussion Thread

Postby stricklandCC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:20 am

Speculation only?? I say Ceder Point if anywhere. It kind of fills in their collection (boomerang/ SLC/ 6 more inversions) and would tie SFMM in numbers. :lmao:

Proctoligist of Scooby Doo

Postby ScottBrown » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:56 am

stricklandCC wrote:OK, well I seem to be alone on this one, but the park is no longer dying, its dead. I have a very hard time believing that they will replace Invertigo with a new ride/coaster. IF the rumors are true, and they are in fact removing Invertgo, that will be the beginning to the end. Nothing will take its place, not a new GCI, and (sorry Scott), not even a wind seeker. I hate to see it happen, but with all this douche-bagerry and the 49'ers. I doubt it. Anywhere else in the country theme parks survive next to major stadiums with success...I think there is enough "bad blood" in this case to seal the deal on CGA's fate.

Dan "PLEASE prove me wrong" Strickland :roll:

Oh you are not alone I feel the same way. I am thinking at best if anything does go in that spot it will be a hand me down from another park, (I wonder if Knott's is still looking to get rid of Screamin Swing) It no doubt a sad shadow of the park we grew up going to isn't it. I agree with you 100% about Invertigo going to Cedar Point if it is going anywhere it will be there to boost the coaster count

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:25 am

If I may speculate. This sounds like a financial decision like the removal of Greezed Lightning and Stealth may have been...

To me, it looks like CGA doesn't have either 1) the maintenance staff to truly keep up with these coasters, or 2) these coasters were not fiscally useful to the park.

Hypersonic wouldn't had lasted 5 years at CGA.

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:28 am

Reminds me of Geauga Lake when X-Flight and Steel Venom were removed..................And we all know what happened to that park :?r
My question is, could Invertigo be relocated to a park that could use a major new attraction?? *cough* Valleyfair* *cough*
Invertigo was in decent condition when I rode back in September of this last year and was a hell of a lot smoother than Deja Vu. ;)
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 am

Well it's official. Invertigo is being relocated to another park to "open up new" opportunities for CGA. This was from their Facebook.

Update: official from CGA: http://www.cagreatamerica.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=1069

I was kind of in a rush this morning when I saw the news, and posted this from my iPod. But thought I should share it before I head off to work.
Last edited by Angry_Gumball on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 pm.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby technfxrick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 am

Invertigo Going to a New Home

After 12 years of service at California's Great America, Cedar Fair has decided to move the ride to another Cedar Fair park, and open up a new opportunity for Great America.

This is a business decision that is taking into consideration all of the Cedar Fair properties and allowing us to infuse capital into another park and opening up a great opportunity for a new attraction at Great America.

Although we do not discuss future plans that are not definate, our Corporate Design team has evaluated the location and plans are underway for the future of the location.

This is not unusual, in 2003 the ride Stealth was removed and relocated to Carowinds in Charlotte, N.C., to make way for what is now know as Boomerang Bay water park.

Stay tuned for more details as they are available!

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=1069
Last edited by ernierocker on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:13 pm.

New Coasters 101
Parks 84

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 am

I'm not sure if the few of you were being sarcastic or not, but there's a better chance at Obama and Palin running together for pres/vice pres in 2012 than there is of ANY major Vekoma even SNIFFING the midway at Cedar Point.

Some of you people need to ingest a little dose of reality. Paramount didn't want to expand this park, and Cedar Fair doesn't want to expand this park. Read between the lines a little bit.

Edit: And as far as which park it goes to, there really aren't many viable choices. I think we can eliminate CP, KD, KI, Carowinds, CW, and KBF right off the bat. WOF has a Boomerang, so it won't go there, either. That leaves Valleyfair, Michigan's Adventure, and Dorney. All three would make sense, but I don't think we'll see it at MiA since they just got Thunderhawk. Dorney also just got a relocated GL coaster, so Valleyfair would seem to be the most logical choice.
Last edited by Skycoastin Steve on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:58 am.

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:56 am

Well, you can't have enough Dippin' Dots stands, can you?
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:03 am

The bad news for me is that I liked Invertigo. The good news is that that there are still two operating installations (one in the U.S.), and that this one will become a third. Looking forward to learning which park and when.

I can totally understand the "park is dead/dying" comments, but if we really do get a new coaster out of this, I'll be sure to make a visit. I don't like the park too much, but I could stand to hit some more flats and a few coasters.

"Definate"? :wtf:
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:04 am

Someone stick a fork in this park...IT IS DONE!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!