TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

So I checked out the new trains on Sat. I had a nice surprise and bumped into Jake and Dave at the Gwazi station right after opening. We hung out for the rest of the day along with Dave and Jake's friend's Nate and the Adams. Had a blast! Gwazi must have had an Exorcism, because the evil is gone! The ride is much better, a lot smoother. It's an intense ride, still not smooth as glass but a MAJOR improvement. Another plus about the new trains is that they are gorgeous and very comfy! Best surprise, I couldn't believe that they were dueling from opening till closing. I haven't see that in years! The last few years, if I didn't have to, I would skip Gwazi. I think on Sat. I rode from open to close almost 10 times and didn't get a headache! That's a major thumbs up from me!

KevEJKangarooweb.jpg.15b23b57af6921b69f87e6dfea92f8c3.jpg

After riding Gwazi in the morning, Kevin came by for a bit to check out the new Walkabout Way. So we were totally suckered into feeding the Kangaroos and buying the phtos, but we loved it!

Gwazismall.jpg.1acaef9880488e280b3e89dd788365ce.jpg

Jake, Nate, Dave and I on one of our last chilly Gwazi rides of the night.

Glad to hear positive reviews of Gwazi's new trains. Lets not forget that in the past Gwazi has ridden smoother after it's annual refurb. I suspect at least some of the glowing reviews can be chalked up to that rather than new trains.

First, have you ever fed giraffes? Do you want to? Have you ever wondered what various animals' noses looked like from three inches away?

Actually, you can feed giraffes at the Lowry Park zoo for only $5. And a park ticket is much cheaper. But anyway, that experience is fun anywhere you are.

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press release announcing the launch of their new park-specific blog!

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay announced today the launch of a park-specific blog at http://www.buschgardenstampablog.com

The new blog will feature stories from all areas of the park, including animal training, engineering, entertainment, horticulture, culinary, merchandise and more. It will also focus on providing behind-the-scenes details and other unique content that can’t be found on the park’s .com site.

“This portal is a place for us to regularly share information and create a two-way dialogue with current and future guests,” said Busch Gardens’ Vice President of Marketing, Gerard Hoeppner. “The launch of this blog is a social media milestone for our new Digital Marketing team.”

Busch Gardens’ digital presence also includes a growing fan base on Facebook and Twitter, as well as a YouTube channel and their Busch Gardens .com and .org sites.

My first trips to BGT were back in the early 80s when we moved to nearby Palm Harbor. Back then BGT was a very simple, family focused park divided into two distinct areas. On one side was the huge Serengeti Plain with hundreds of free-roaming animals, and the only way to see the animals was either by train, sky ride, or monorail. On the other side were the rides - nothing fancy or outlandish, and all were for the family to enjoy together. In the middle of the park was the brewery were one could take a tour and sample some beer. BGT was the anti-Disney back then - a quieter, smaller park that complimented the large, noisy, and expensive WDW just an hour to the east. I also got the vibe that BGT knew there was no way they could compete with Disney, and they were happy keeping the park the way it was.

We moved away in the mid 80s, and my next visit wouldn't be until 1999. I still remember walking into the park and having my jaw drop. Gone was the quieter, smaller park that I remembered. Newer, bigger rides had sprung up - Gwazi, Montu, and Kumba. The huge Serengeti Plain had been invaded by the Edge of Africa exhibit and the new land - Egypt. The brewery was gone, replaced by a forest of timber and rails. I felt sad because to me, the park was loosing its family friendly appeal, and was trying to keep pace with IOA, the new kid in town.

My next visit was last Saturday during the grand re-opening of Gwazi. Once again, my jaw dropped as I entered the park. There was another new coaster (SheiKra), and another one being built (Cheetah Hunt). The Python was gone, which left only two big coasters my first grader could ride (Cheetah Chase and Scorpion). The huge Serengeti Plain had been invaded yet again by Rhino Rally and Cheetah Hunt, and the monorail was officially gone. I also noticed the crowds had changed as well - while there were still plenty of families, the majority of guests that day were older teens and young adults coming to ride the big coasters. The look and feel of the park that I had cherished in the 80s was gone for good.

Sigh.

The Hits - feeding kangaroos, Lory Landing (first grader had four birds on him!), riding Gwazi with the new trains, riding Scorpion with the first grader as his first looping coaster, riding SheiKra & Montu with my third grader, watching the Orangutans in Jungala, and animal watching.

The Misses - The third grader was tall enough for SheKra & Montu, but a half inch too short for Kumba? They are all 54 inches, so why aren't the measuring sticks consistent? Dining plan was a good idea, but the food choices are limited for kids and overall the food is mediocre at best. Freezing my butt off on SheiKra at sunset - it was darn cold 200 feet in the air (and I was convinced the anemometer was going to fly away it was so gusty!)! The Brazilian groups that kept line jumping in front of my first grader. Rhino Rally - disjointed story line, mediocre driver, few animals - what's the point?

Photos - Unfortunately, all of the pictures I took are too perfect and without the proper watermarks for me to post on this board. Since I do not know how to apply watermarks, I will refrain from posting.

Finally - I do have a whole bunch of questions for the boards.

First - Scorpion - Where's the second train?

Second - Where are the Clydesdales?

Third - Is the Garden Café the former Hospitality House? Looked familiar, but didn't know for sure.

Fourth - Wasn't the Desert Grill originally a Fest Haus, just like the one in BGW?

Fifth - Wasn't there a dolphin show at some point? If so, where was it?

Sixth - Settle this debate. A guy in line was trying to tell me that each of the five big coasters has a twin in BGW. Python = Loch Ness Monster, Montu = Alpengeist, Kumba = Apollo's Chariot, SheiKra = Griffon, and Cheetah Hunt = TBD. I disagree. Who's right?

Thank you for reading, constructive and destructive criticism is welcome and appreciated.

First - Scorpion - Where's the second train?

Second - Where are the Clydesdales?

Third - Is the Garden Café the former Hospitality House? Looked familiar, but didn't know for sure.

Fourth - Wasn't the Desert Grill originally a Fest Haus, just like the one in BGW?

Fifth - Wasn't there a dolphin show at some point? If so, where was it?

Sixth - Settle this debate. A guy in line was trying to tell me that each of the five big coasters has a twin in BGW. Python = Loch Ness Monster, Montu = Alpengeist, Kumba = Apollo's Chariot, SheiKra = Griffon, and Cheetah Hunt = TBD. I disagree. Who's right?

Thank you for reading, constructive and destructive criticism is welcome and appreciated.

First - More than likely torn apart in a maintenence bay being used for parts.

Second - The Clydesdales went the way of the Dodo not all too long after Busch/InBev sold the parks to Blackstone.

Third - Yes, that is the former Hospitality House.

Forth - Yeah, the Desert Grill is BGTs equivalent to Fest Haus in BGW

Fifth - The Dolphin show was in the theatre that now houses the Sesame Street Film Festival/Pirates 4D. It used to be an open air stadium. It was closed in. A/C added. And became the 3D Film theater which you see now.

Sixth - I don't know if all the coasters in each park are counterparts of each other...

But here it goes if you were to pair some of them up.

Python=Loch Ness Monster (a very poor match up... hey they are both products of Arrow... and painted yellow...)

Montu=Alpengeist

Kumba=Drachen Fire (a coaster built by arrow, which was closed down and removed due roughness and low ridership. It was located behind the former Big Bad Wolf site)

SheiKra=Griffon

Cheetah Hunt=(maybe)New BGW 2012 coaster.

Edited by Maximo37

Hambone:

Regarding Rhino Rally, it used to have a water portion where the truck would drive onto a bridge and then the bridge would "float away" down the river as if it had collapsed and then the truck was in "mortal peril." However, the water portion was a maintenance nightmare and it is no longer a part of the ride. The canyons that the water portion went through are now being used for a the turn-around section of Cheetah Hunt. Now all they do for Rhino Rally is drive you around, tell some bad jokes, let you see a few animals up close, and return to the station.

The Hits - feeding kangaroos, Lory Landing (first grader had four birds on him!), riding Gwazi with the new trains, riding Scorpion with the first grader as his first looping coaster, riding SheiKra & Montu with my third grader, watching the Orangutans in Jungala, and animal watching.

The Misses - The third grader was tall enough for SheKra & Montu, but a half inch too short for Kumba? They are all 54 inches, so why aren't the measuring sticks consistent? Dining plan was a good idea, but the food choices are limited for kids and overall the food is mediocre at best. Freezing my butt off on SheiKra at sunset - it was darn cold 200 feet in the air (and I was convinced the anemometer was going to fly away it was so gusty!)! The Brazilian groups that kept line jumping in front of my first grader. Rhino Rally - disjointed story line, mediocre driver, few animals - what's the point?

You know, I've been visiting the park since the late 80's as a kid, and have watched it grow up tremendously. For the most part, I agree. It's lost that cutesy small park feel to it. I've learned to embrace it. I agree with the major "hits". Jungala is the neatest kids section I've seen, Scorpion is still most kid's first looping coaster (it was mine too), and animal encounter sections are just as neat as most zoos. The misses, I can't say I agree with the majority of them. They're things that the park can't control. I think the only major "Miss" the park has is their operations.

While yes, they've grown up to be a big park player along with IOA, and Disney, I think it's helped the park create new opportunities you wouldn't have seen had it stayed that little park. This biggest disappointment was the loss of Anheiser Busch. (2 free beers! I miss those.) But all in all, I have to say Jim Dean and his staff are doing a pretty good job at creating an experience for their guests that is memorable and immersive.

Hambone, I agree with you on the kangaroo feeding as a "hit". They are going to make a FORTUNE off me because I do this at least twice every time I've gone now since November. I could easily spend hours in that area just watching the kangaroos and wallabys and petting & playing with them. They're really just freaking awesome. And I think I've bonded a bit with the little wallaby... the smallest one. He's so wee! Seriously he's like not much bigger than my cat!

I had some fun with a Brazilian tour group a couple weeks ago. I actually infiltrated into one and followed along for about 20 minutes without getting caught (I guess I fit in pretty well). Then I got the guide of another group to take a photo of me holding the flag!

As for the food, you need to know what to eat there. The BBQ at Zambia Smoke House is ok. Mediocre theme park BBQ over all, but... they have BREAD PUDDING! How many restaurants serve that, let alone theme parks? I love me some bread pudding and the stuff at Zambia is pretty tasty. What I really love though is the spaghetti & meatballs at the Desert Grill in Timbuktu. BIG plate of spaghetti and 2 big meatballs (hehehe... balls) for $7.99. That's a bargain for theme park food. I want to try the fried chicken there sometime. I was going to a few weeks ago, but dumb me got in the wrong line, so I settled for the spaghetti instead.

I'm going back to the park this Saturday with my parents. My mom is dying to feed the roos & wallies. I'm looking forward to checking out Cheetah Hunt progress... and riding the coasters already there of course!

^^^

Hey aimster - your last TR: with your "joining a Brazilian tour group", then "commandeering of anothers flag" almost made me pee my pants... it made my somewhat crappy night at work (yeah, was reading it during the graveyard shift) SO much better...

...and never tried the Zambia Smoke House, but sounds like a great deal... as well as those Spaghetti & Balls (Tee Hee)... I also like the new Pizza buffet (but would MUCH rather have the hospitality house back ) for $9.99 (+passholder discount makes it even less) which is "all you care to eat"... especially after a couple of beers.. Mmmmm.. coasters, beer and pizza.. YUM-O...

...awesome pictures... VERY entertaining TR... Oh... and wonderpup is adorable... keep it up...

I went out to the park today, sorry no camera, but about 70% of the track is up for Cheetah Hunt. You will be below ground a lot on the ride. It really is looking nice. In other park news; feeding the Kangaroos is great fun, I love the Lories as well. My rides on Gwazi were both limited to Lion and were smoother and slower. I am sure the trains will find a good line and be a little better but I have had better rides on the PTC trains so far. The Flyer trains look great and allowed me a back of the train ride on Gwazi so thats an over all improvement. Looking forward to Tiger, summertime and night riding. Kumba was awesome, one of my best rides ever. They were running one train but it was well worth the wait. This park already has a great coaster line up with more on the way, good times.

From my many experiences on Kumba, sitting in the middle of the back row gives the same smooth ride as the front. Actually, I had a few great rides this past Wednesday, both in the front and back. Heck, outside of a little shuffle before the first corkscrew, I find that this coaster runs smoother than 90 percent of the B&Ms I've been on. ...Including Montu.

While I've only spent two days ever at the park -- one of them being last Saturday -- I was really surprised at how forceful and smooth Kumba was. For the record, both my rides were in the very back, and for reasons unknown, B&M's on the whole haven't treated my head well in the past.

^I'm usually in the back right seat, maybe that's the difference? It was the same two weeks ago as it was back in October, so I'm not sure why nobody else feels it. I sure as hell know I did, I had the headaches to prove it!

However, the awesomeness that is the first half of the ride in the back right seat (especially the zero-g roll) far outweighs the crappiness of the entrance into that first corkscrew, so I still subject myself to it.

I took some time on this last trip to watch Kumba run for a while, you can get soooo close. It really is one hell of a roller coaster right now. The year Kumba opened I missed quite a bit of school, some of the best times ever. I also ride back seat right and will have to pay more attention to what you have mentioned. Honestly it was so out of control feeling I just must have missed it. I am going to get back out next week and hope for similar riding. I mean seriously i came off the ride seeing stars. Just great. The reason i ride.